Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Kings and Nukes go farther but when accuracy is more important than Max D the Sword has a slot.

I had another mold shootout, a 35 disc bomb session for 2-1/2 hours after work at a local Midtown park. My form was a little tired tonight and Sword throws averaged around 400'. My King throws were on average as long as the Sword but I flipped a few up and over with the longest going 435'. My Nukes were all over the board in stability but I rediscovered a Z Nuke that I can flex, a glow nuke that will turnover 15' on a sweet higher longer line, and a esp nuke that will flip up to a tight s-curve with lots of glide and the farthest throw of the day at 440'. My Flows are really stable but they hyzered to around the same distance as the GL Swords while my favorite two Bosses are fairly beat and fly lazer straight low flat lines and overlap the Swords without the nice GL grip.

I figure I was around 120 throws in my Max D finals, when the light started to fade, and I really want to try another bliz boss. :idea: My plan is to give the top contenders another fresh look before I settle on a few for all out go far.

Thanks JR, I guess I was just tired of the search and ready to settle on something :arrow: I'm old and need that extra howevermany feet.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:52 am

turso wrote:I find that tossing the king much farther than a sword is difficult because of its inherent understability, on any reasonable golf lines anyhow. Haven't gotten my hands on a stableish king though, maybe they can take more of a rip.

Understable Kings are total crap for power players.

My good Kings are blue.

I'd definitely keep the Sword as a golf disc and get a hot rod disc for specialty situations. Hey you throw far so what's the problem 7ontheline? Old schmold 440' is totally competitive. Especially playing in age protected divisions.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:50 am

It's the memory of all the bad throws that only practice will erase :|

Unfortunately, the courses in the Lee Naquin http://www.sndg.org/stats/event.php/1255 are short and wooded. I really want to do well and think max D practice will move to the back burner once again. For now, my Swords are stable straight and their modest LSS make them fun to turn.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Do TP Swords work well at flying on hyzerflip to no-fade lines? I have a seasoned Valk in that role, but hoping to narrow down on molds. For reference: my (new) 169 VIP Sword is somewhat stable and I can get it up to 380' thrown flat. Next to my Valk, it finishes 20' to the left and 20' further.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:08 pm

That won't be easy because it would have to be a low shot at high power and then it would most likely skip off line.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Do TP Swords work well at flying on hyzerflip to no-fade lines? I have a seasoned Valk in that role, but hoping to narrow down on molds. For reference: my (new) 169 VIP Sword is somewhat stable and I can get it up to 380' thrown flat. Next to my Valk, it finishes 20' to the left and 20' further.

My first TP Sword will work those lines. When I got it about a year ago I was looking for a Max D driver and it started off with a fair amount of LSS and super sharp flashing on the bottom rim. I got very aggressive with that sharp bottom flashing and after I was done the bottom rim was flat for a milimeter or so. I took it out of the bag shortly after that when I found the King.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BLURR » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:37 am

So, I got a 171 TP Sword last night from PIAS as my freebie disc. Stopped by the practice field on my way home and threw it about 15 times. I was greatly disappointed in it, mainly because of its lack of stability. I am going to put it in the practice bag for this weekend to give it another try.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 am

Hit me up if you don't want it. I do.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BLURR » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:38 am

I don't have another Sword to compare it to, so are all TP Swords slightly understable OTB?
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:20 am

Mine aren't
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby turso » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am

Depends how far you throw, for me they're a smidgen on the understable side. But for 400' they really shouldn't be, more neutral if anything.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I don't hail my Swords very often, but like a good blue collar disc they are always getting the job done. I'm still primarily throwing my 175 cobalt VIP, but I just got a 168 domey VIP that is just as stable and BOOMs compared to my heavies. Now I want to get some more of these light domey swords.

I also wish I had some better selection of TP Swords to look through...We've still got our original order at CDGS, and they are all too flat for me to believe they are any good, not to mention the ugly colors.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BLURR » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Side by side comparison on my sword and another high speed driver.

BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Wraith? Sword is like a Wraith, but better because the plastics are better.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 pm

which is which and what is what?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment