Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby discspeed » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 pm

JR wrote:
In gusting winds in field practice yesterday my Sword flipped each time in headwinds. I needed about 4 degrees of initial hyzer for a flip to flat. If i released flat in a lull in the wind at the throwing place and the wind hit the disc in flight it flipped that same 4 degrees. Moderate winds. I have a while from my previous Destroyer throws but if memory serves it is less susceptible to gusts. If a broken in Pro Destroyer flips it comes back maybe a tad later than my disc. I also used a King and a Z Nuke and my Sword fades earlier than both it is also consistently significantly shorter on average and in max D. From the descriptions of others we either differ in form (i don't have super RPMs) or mine may be less HSS and possibly a little more LSS than your discs.

Describe your Sword...I'm throwing a cobalt blue 175 VIP and a black 175 tourney. Both are fairly domey. Because the plastic is so grippy on both my Swords and the grip feels so good to me, I'm betting that I am getting more spin on them than I do most other drivers. It feels effortless to me, and I think this means I can spin it and get results without having to really arm it. I have to arm discs like the Nuke and the Boss because I just don't get as good of RPMs on the widest rimmed discs. The Flow is similar for me in this respect. I could also do similar things with FR and E* Destroyers, but not the other runs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby RS39 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:33 pm

After lots of rain, we got a sunny and very calm day.

Sword flew very similar lines to the Flow, and similar D. It tolerates nose up more like a PD than a Flow. I can get some turnover with the Flow, but none with the Sword.

Cobalt blue VIP is not super bright in shade, but when you get closer the unnatural color does stand out.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby JR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 am

Discspeed my TP Sword is noticeably thinner than the tester VIP i threw because mine has significantly lower dome height. The flight is what you'd expect from a speed stable thin disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 pm

JR wrote:Discspeed my TP Sword is noticeably thinner than the tester VIP i threw because mine has significantly lower dome height. The flight is what you'd expect from a speed stable thin disc.

Yeah, I totally avoided those flatter ones because I know how the flatter Flows fly compared to the domeys. I definitely prefer domey. All my Swords are domey, and my black tourney ones are probably a touch domier than my VIPs.

My VIP Sword has lost a lot of stability in a pretty short amount of time. It is now flying essentially like a typical Flow stability-wise. I still like it, but I hope it stays where it is now. This is another mold that changes a lot when the flash rubs completely off, because I haven't hit too many things to make it less stable. I'm now carrying a new one with flash for a more stable option.
discspeed

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 am

I pulled my TP 170 colorshift orange Sword in favor of a seasoned champ orc that goes just as far for me right now. I guess I like to throw hard and flip it over for a little turn before the fade. My Sword throw occasionally comes out a little too hyzered to make a turn when I'm tired.

I've deflashed it but how many trees do I need to hit to loosen up the HSS? Damn distance drivers... don't throw them enough to break them in. Anyone want to trade for your already beat in Sword? :roll:
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:00 am

Don't know how many trees you need to hit to get it to flip flat from your hyzers, I throw my Swords flat unless I want them to go left or right.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:24 am

jubuttib wrote:Don't know how many trees you need to hit to get it to flip flat from your hyzers, I throw my Swords flat unless I want them to go left or right.

I probably just need some field practice. I threw the Orc 445' one time the other day during a field session but averaged 425' on a 5 step run up.

How much Sword potential D am I missing out on if my Orc goes the same distance?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 am

If you like throwing distance from a deeper hyzer than what the Sword needs to get the lines you are looking for perhaps you should give the King a shot. It's a notch less stable than the Sword.
discspeed

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:20 am

Do the Sword and King have the same distance potential...hopefully more than my Orc? I get the same 425' with my seasoned Z Nuke but I have to have the room to flex a S-curve out of it. I love my Z Nuke for a flat 10' high 340' line drive FH with no turn and less than 30' fade. My Sword turns over a bit on the same max power FH shot.

STUCK AT 425'. :? I know, more practice with my teebirds.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I actually don't think "more practice with TeeBirds". You're already throwing damn long, you just need some final things to click.

But yeah, I'm not sure about the distance potential between the King and the Sword, but the King is definitely easier to throw 400' than the Sword, it almost feels like cheating. The King is a great disc for a hyzerflipper.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 pm

It makes sense that at 425' you are going to be throwing an Orc as far as anything else when height is unlimited. However, the faster discs help you get there on lower lines and cut the wind better on the course. The style of courses you play will dictate what you are better off using.
discspeed

Postby JR » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:16 pm

I talked to Janne Penttilä and he said that i have a first run TP Sword and most likely in busier stores in the US they have mostly second runs. That would explain the differences we have seen.

Kings vary. My 165 has 1 mm lower outer edge and is 1 mm thinner all from the dome height i think than my 169. Totally different flights. 165 flips a lot and 169 likes flat releases or even a little anny.

At 425' the lines vary between individual discs of the same mold and on average between different molds. I don't think that on lower golf lines Kings will add D over Z Nukes. The understable kind could glide and hold anny for longer on high max D shots. But there are low 160s ESP Nukes that are the longest discs i've thrown. King is less LSS so it is more controllable and is more forgivIng of powering down or tiring out.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bill » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

i've been throwing a gl flow for several months now and love it. you guys that have thrown it, is the flow closer to a king or a sword?
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby discspeed » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 pm

bill wrote:i've been throwing a gl flow for several months now and love it. you guys that have thrown it, is the flow closer to a king or a sword?

The Flow is to a Wraith what the Sword is to the Destroyer. The King is more like a better Katana.
discspeed

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm

discspeed wrote:It makes sense that at 425' you are going to be throwing an Orc as far as anything else when height is unlimited. However, the faster discs help you get there on lower lines and cut the wind better on the course. The style of courses you play will dictate what you are better off using.

The Champ Orc I traded for is broken in as I'm getting the 425' on a slight hyzer flip line drive less than 20' high. The Orc slowly turns over holds for a second or two then fades back to the original line so basically ending straight. I'm just struggling a little to turn my newish Sword over but when I do I feel like its a few degrees anny for a s-curve and presto 425'. However, too much hyzer and there's a hard fade way left or too much anny and I lose D because the s-curve is so wide or occasionally turn and burn it. My Z Nuke has to have all kinds of big high sweeping s-curve room to get 425'... not my favorite shot also no chance of me turning the Nuke over into the ground on a lower line.

I was throwing a Katana for Max D so perhaps my form would be better with a King as opposed to beating in my Sword to less HSS. I'm willing to work on my technique for better D as the Katana lost a lot of distance making its sweeping turn, was hard to control when thrown really hard or into a heady, and the rim is wider than the Sword. I'll search King and read up on it.

Half hitter here trying to buy a better game instead of going to the field to work things out...
JR wrote:Kings vary. My 165 has 1 mm lower outer edge and is 1 mm thinner all from the dome height i think than my 169. Totally different flights. 165 flips a lot and 169 likes flat releases or even a little anny.

Discspeed, does Clearwater have any lower weight Swords with a lower PLH and thinner similiar to the difference JR found in his 165 King flipper?

Thanks to all.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment