Leopard vs. Roadrunner

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Leopard vs. Roadrunner

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:01 am

What do you guys think are the biggest differences between what these two discs can do? Also which do you think would be a better compliment to a Firebird and Teebird driver set?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Leopard vs. Roadrunner

Postby rooneytunes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 am

From my experience with these two molds in champion plastic with middle of the road plh's, the roadrunner is less stable than the leopards that I have thrown. Leopards for me anyways, fly much more straight with minimal fade where the roadrunner flips over and almost comes back to straight for a relatively tight s throw both from a flat release. It is easier for me to throw a controlled anny with the leopard b/c of its slightly higher hss making it a little less touchy, but when I want a huge right turner, the roadrunner is easier to crank over for longer, higher anny's. I like the roadrunner for bomber straight hyzer flips. To me at least, a leopard would compliment a tb/fb well once seasoned a little bit. Roadrunners have their spot though too. Tailwinds, uphill, calm wind hyzer flips are all drives I like using the roadrunner for.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby LumberJack » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:35 pm

I put a champ Leopard in the bag from time to time. It's a great lil disc and can flat bomb and is very workable.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Peot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Very different discs. A Leopard is a straight-ish to hyzer flip fairway driver depending on your power. It has a decent amount of glide and it's pretty easy to work on a lot of different lines.

Roadrunners are much faster than Leopards, and much more understable if you can get them up to speed. Roadrunners are great for huge turnovers and flex shots if you have enough height. They are extremely easy to throw with a comfortable rim

You definitely need something to complement your Teebirds. They excel as line holders and go very straight a very far distance. Leos make great compliments. Having a Firebird and a Roadrunner with nothing in between seems kinda silly when you start talking about speed 9+ discs.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 pm

when i threw rrunners, I always preferred the star ones...I am pretty sure I was/am in the minority there.
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 am

I found they were great BH rollers when I was throwing them a lot. I always threw the Champs, never the Star.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:32 am

firebird, teebird, leo is the classic fairway driver setup. I could see you replacing the leo with a rr for an open course with a distance focus. In the woods...through the leo.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:50 am

To be honest, this thread is pointless (I can say that, I'm the OP). I hadn't really thrown my Leo's or my RR's in a while, and I was letting Innova's confusing chart get in my head. Makes no sense for the Leo to be on the far right side of the chart under the RR and Monarch. The ratings put it back over more to the middle, and my throwing one again made me remember how stable leo's really are. It confused me when I always saw people saying a Leo was more workable than a Teebird, similar to an Eagle being more workable than a Teebird. And I was thinking how can that be with as Understable as the Leo is? Innova scared me away from their own disc :-P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby bill » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

yeah it took me a long, long time to beat the stability out of my star leo.

road runners turn off the shelf.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 pm

I think they are very different discs and could see carring both. I carry a x xs which I would say is similar to a leo and I use it alot for tunel and low ceiling shots. the rr is for big turnover and monster hyzer flips. one of the longest throws i have ever had was with an echo star rr.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Equipment