Probably just make a whole new bag:)
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Monocacy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 pm

discspeed wrote:
Monocacy wrote:Discspeed, I truly believe that many folks who hold negative opinions about lighter discs would be pleasantly surprised if they threw a few.

It depends...Chad told me that most companies take a disproportionate amount of weight from the rim of lighter discs, making them less gyroscopic. . . .

Reduced relative rim weight and reduced gyroscopic effect could explain why I had such a hard time throwing 150 Rocs and Wizards, but switched easily from 160s to 150s with Teebirds, Valkyries, and Leopards. Perhaps the effect on flight is more noticeable below a certain ratio of rim weight : flight plate weight (drivers vs. mids / putters).

Anyone volunteering to cut out and weigh the flight plates on a pile of discs to test this theory? :wink:

discspeed wrote:
Monocacy wrote:When you say “unmatched stability”, are you referring to stable (zero HSS) or overstable?

I was referring to the HSS...For a 165 it was incredibly HSS, but not LSS.

Excellent, thank you for the info!
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Timko wrote:Would you carry both heavies and lights?

Currently, I carry 4 Wizards: 168 (new and thrashed), and 175 (new and thrashed). Do you still see a need for both types of weight? Have you thrown the lights into a wind yet?

Yeah...That's kind of what I want to get going. Right now I've got 175s new and thrashed, and 168 medium that's straight and a 170 soft that fades/holds hyzer more. There are times where I want the drop and slower action of the heavies.

I was throwing all of the light Ions into the wind and they all held up really well. They held their line as well as my heavier ones and the distance difference between tailwind and headwind was much less than I expected. The Gyro really helps the discs hold their line and momentum into the wind...They are noticeable different from any other putter I've thrown at that weight, especially into the wind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Monocacy wrote:
Reduced relative rim weight and reduced gyroscopic effect could explain why I had such a hard time throwing 150 Rocs and Wizards, but switched easily from 160s to 150s with Teebirds, Valkyries, and Leopards. Perhaps the effect on flight is more noticeable below a certain ratio of rim weight : flight plate weight (drivers vs. mids / putters).

MVP sees great possibilities in lightweight discs...When you keep the correct weight ratios and shapes they should fly better than heavy stuff for most people.
discspeed

Postby juju » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 pm

My second run 170 is flippy...like seriously flippy. Might be a fluke, but that thing was borderline useless (already got a 13 year old 9x). BTW, I throw 475 d, 425 golf d. Maybe I got a bad 'overmold'.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:28 pm

juju wrote:My second run 170 is flippy...like seriously flippy. Might be a fluke, but that thing was borderline useless (already got a 13 year old 9x). BTW, I throw 475 d, 425 golf d. Maybe I got a bad 'overmold'.

Are you referring to the first run on full weight softs? If so, they've come a loooonnnngggg way since then. Many of those had crooked overmolds/partially obscured beads, which makes them flippy. All of the subsequent runs have been symmetrical and stable.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:38 pm

I've been using my 168 medium Ions for a couple of weeks now and I'm thoroughly impressed...so much so that they are now my primary putters. I've been hitting longer putts and putting much more consistently with them all around. I get noticeably more spin on the 168 mediums than I do on my heavier ones. This run of lighter white mediums are quite stable for being light...at least as much so as my heavier mediums with less fade. They are also grippier than other runs, feeling softer than the heavier mediums (but still stiffer than any softs). I shot -11 today and won my handicap, mostly due to hitting 35'-50' putts with my Ions...I don't remember the last time I putted this well.
discspeed

Postby Mike C » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Once I switched to a 16*g putting putter I found it really difficult to use anything in the 170's because they seem to drop so much quicker. Welcome to the dark side :D
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jgheels1999 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 am

Glad to hear that others have noticed the same thing with the lighter Ions. I've been integrating a white 168 medium and soft both w/o the textured bottom as soon as they came out.

There is just something about the lighter white medium Ions, I love those things. Im sure its mental. Can't explain it but they are just money. My very first and still best Ion is a 171 white medium Ion that is my primary driving putter and approach disc and it was immediately the best of the lot that I got compared to all the heavy softs.

Current Ion part of the bag is 2 x 171 mediums (white) driving and approaches, 1 x 174 medium (black) for 30' and in, and a 1 x 168 medium (white) for anything.
ION, jokeri, Fuse, Axis, River, TB, Valk
Aces: Hole #11 Stumpy Creek 290' 170 S Ion
jgheels1999
Noob

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:33 am

When I was at the MVP testing grounds throwing the lighter Ions with the Richardsons we were all like "do we even need heavy Ions?". The light ones glided more without any more touchy than their heavy counterparts...They were just dropping less on putts and drives. Now I almost feel like I didn't know what the Ion's potential was when I was only using the heavies.
discspeed

Postby peppermack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 am

So is there ever going to be any overmolds in a color other than Black. The potential for lots of really cool color combinations on the ions would be wicked sweet. If this has been asked before I apologize. I loved the red/blue combo of the 1st runs I had when they first came out.

I am so happy I switched back to the Ion! I hit some crazy long approaches this weekend, my putting has become way more consistent as well. Now when I have a narrow fairway that I need to land in or else loose my disc potentially I always go for the ion. Out to 320' or so it is so straight and predictable. I stopped carrying another putter for putting. I have a wizard in the bag again but no Vibrams. In fact, I sold ALL my ridges and Summits and now just have Proto VPs left.

No I need to by a couple of the super light ones Sir Discspeed is talking about.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 am

peppermack wrote:So is there ever going to be any overmolds in a color other than Black. The potential for lots of really cool color combinations on the ions would be wicked sweet. If this has been asked before I apologize. I loved the red/blue combo of the 1st runs I had when they first came out.

There will white(glow) overmolds in the near future I think...Other than that I don't think there are any plans to do other colors at this time. There are a couple of reasons to keep the black overmolds...It helps with consistency as dyes can slightly alter the properties of plastics and it also helps make MVP discs recognizable as the number of manufacturers continues to multiply. Perhaps sometime down the road there will be colored overmolds.
discspeed

Postby peppermack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 am

Well, white glow overmolds would be awesome too! I figured maybe the all black all the time was a QA thing.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby noobynoober » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 pm

When are the glows being released? I am waiting on a medium one of those with the new tooling. The lighter IONs sound great
noobynoober
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z-BUZZ

Postby Leopard » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

glow......... secrets...
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment