Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Leopard wrote:glow......... secrets...

I've got a guess... :idea:
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Wyno » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:39 pm

MVP, have you shipped any of the lighter mediums yet? I've yet to see any <172 that I could actually buy, and I need to stock up soon...
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 pm

I know CDGS ordered some last week. I will be in today and I'll let you know if they have arrived yet.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm at CDGS right now and we have a bunch of new medium and soft Ions in all weights 165-175g.
discspeed

Postby Wyno » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:09 pm

That's brilliant, you and CDGS coming through again :-) just a couple of days 'til payday and I'll be placing an order.
What colours where the light mediums, and were they stamped or blanks?
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Wyno wrote:That's brilliant, you and CDGS coming through again :-) just a couple of days 'til payday and I'll be placing an order.
What colours where the light mediums, and were they stamped or blanks?

All of the light mediums are opaque white. We have stamped and unstamped. They are mostly 165-166.
discspeed

Postby Lamp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:43 pm

discspeed, I know you said you've been having success with the lighter mediums in the new mold, would 165 be a stretch or do you think the stability would still be pretty solid?
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Lamp wrote:discspeed, I know you said you've been having success with the lighter mediums in the new mold, would 165 be a stretch or do you think the stability would still be pretty solid?

I tested some today and they are totally solid. They weren't really discernable from my 168s on drives and putts today when I was warming up.
discspeed

Postby Lamp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Was mainly interested in how they were for driving purposes. In terms of ordering online, where do you think I would have the best chance of picking up one of the new mold mediums?
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Lamp wrote:Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Was mainly interested in how they were for driving purposes. In terms of ordering online, where do you think I would have the best chance of picking up one of the new mold mediums?

Hmmm....I have to think about this one...Oh yeah :idea: , we have them at Clearwater Disc Golf Store (and I can pick them out for you, PM me if you want to order).
discspeed

Postby Lamp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Alright, thanks for the help.Probably gonna check out some other discs on the site to add in, if I do decide to place an order.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby vtbuzzz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Just nailed a 100 footer for a double eagle today with my soft ion. Drive went 800 feet down hill( sugarbush disc golf course) hole 12 is a 900 footer down a ski slope. Man I love ions.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby emiller3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 am

Tried the Ion for the first time today. It was a 171 Medium, old mold. I gotta say, I really liked it, for both driving and putting. More than I thought I would like it. It was much more grippy and resistant to fine dirt than my Wizards, which is weird, because I thought the Champ-type plastic would get slick easily. The grip was great for putting. My fingers are long enough that the funky sand blasted portion was not an issue for putting. For driving, it was as workable as my seasoned Wizard but longer and glidier. I actually enjoyed driving with it more than my Wizards. Seems pretty forgiving of nose angle problems.

Problems are that it's not stable enough to cover all the shots and that I've really been digging my Wizards lately. I'll leave it in the bag for a while and see if it makes it in.

So, what's a new 166 Medium or Soft gonna fly like compared to this old 171?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:43 am

emiller3 wrote:
Problems are that it's not stable enough to cover all the shots and that I've really been digging my Wizards lately. I'll leave it in the bag for a while and see if it makes it in.

So, what's a new 166 Medium or Soft gonna fly like compared to this old 171?

New heavy softs are really stable...Thrown from slight hyzer I can't flip them with a full power throw (heavy white opaque).

About your medium...The new ones won't be much different, but I suspect they are slightly more gyroscopic. The one you have was one of the lightest of the heavy run. All the heavy runs (I think) have the same weight core. The new runs I believe have a lighter core to get them down to 165, so the whole run is more gyroscopic than the light discs in the heavier runs. The new light mediums feel like they have slightly thinner flight plates resulting in the medium plastic feeling a bit softer than the older mediums. I really like this feel...Reminds me of Gateway soft with a little give in the flight plate with a stiff rim. These new light mediums take spin better than other mediums as well...almost like a medium/soft hybrid, especially in 100 degree weather down here in FL.
discspeed

Postby cmrichar » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread!

Anyhow, just letting everyone know I'll be here watching/replying to this thread and answer what I can. Been a busy few weeks... busy is good :D.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment