MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby dgfanatic7 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:07 pm

oh yeah, right, im still trying to learn to forehand my putters, i can do that for the zone but thats more of a mid range. can't wait to test out my ions and see how those work
Check out my Trade Thread!:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25744
dgfanatic7
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Xcaliber

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Mike, in that forehand pic it looks like the rim is NOT in contact with your ring finger for support. I learned to flick with a Ultrastar and the lid needed the extra support I got from squeezing it between my middle and ring finger. My eyes are bad so when you pop a flick do you need your ring finger much if at all?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Rogue9 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:13 pm

so how do the glow Ions fly compared to regular Ions?
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby Mike C » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

7ontheline wrote:Mike, in that forehand pic it looks like the rim is NOT in contact with your ring finger for support. I learned to flick with a Ultrastar and the lid needed the extra support I got from squeezing it between my middle and ring finger. My eyes are bad so when you pop a flick do you need your ring finger much if at all?

No, I don't pinch it with my ring finger. I've tried it after having others demonstrate it to me but it hasn't felt beneficial at all.

Rogue9 wrote:so how do the glow Ions fly compared to regular Ions?

The glow Ions are 4g heavier and less worn than the driving Ion I was using before. They seem to fly the same but fade just a bit harder. I like them. Bagging one of my glows + a more worn 171 Ion there is enough of a difference in their stability to make it worth carrying both.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

Its been very windy for Memphis the last five days. We don't get 15mph winds very often and rarely for more than a few days. My 167 soft opaque Ion was strong in the wind Friday, Saturday and especially Sunday when gusts were reported up to 40mph. At Sunday minis I carried a new soft 170 in the bag just in case the wind was too much but in the woods it wasn't needed. IMO my 167 was just as contolled if not more than any other guy's putters in the open.

For the last three months, my I67 has gotten all the putting and approach duty out to 150-180' unless there's some trick shot or big uphill. I use it off the tee on short holes and longer down hill drives as well. It gets a lot of work but its still more stable than my buddy's new 175 wizard. My 167 is starting to lose some of that abrupt late fade but it still doesn't flip on my contolled shots and powered up standstills but my form OATs it over on hard pulls. I like its current slower yet still hard fade and I've been tempted to use my fresh 167 backup/practice putter for those tight hooks around trees to the basket. Right now my plan is to see how straight I can beat this thing until I finally break in my backup for those tight hyzers. I know I'm missing out in the short term but I'm hoping for some easier annys and longer straight putts in time for the spring tourneys. Speaking of tourneys, won my first am adv masters tourney on the 6th and would have tied for tied for 3rd in Pro old men and tied for 11th of 20 in Open. The Ion played a big part including three 40 footers and another close to 100' and no misses over three rounds within 25'. Also, I'm no longer the only dude using Ions around here... I think there's now three of us but half the players I meet have heard of 'em.

Are the transparent and glows more stable than the opaques? Also, how's the grip? Maybe I can get more power into a firmer soft?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Mike C » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:56 am

The newer transparents and glows are generally a touch stiffer and grippier.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby dgfanatic7 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:38 am

Mike C wrote:The newer transparents and glows are generally a touch stiffer and grippier.

yes! they feel soooooo much better than the textured counterparts, i love these new ions and cant wait to get my hands on an eclipse
dgfanatic7
Tree Magnet

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I know this isn't the thread for Axis/Vector, but anyone know if they will be doing Glow with these like the Ions?
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

MizzouTiger26 wrote:I know this isn't the thread for Axis/Vector, but anyone know if they will be doing Glow with these like the Ions?

They haven't mentioned a timeline for other glow discs yet, but "Eclipse" has been referred to as a "line" of discs rather than specific to the Ion...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Rogue9 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Sorry for the OT but just have to say MAdBum rocks
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:46 am

I use the same FH grip with the Ion as Mike C. posted. Flicking an Ion is quickly becoming a very worthwhile endeavor b/c once you get the hang of it, the accuracy is practically pin point. If I can flick these things, well even, I think anybody could.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby JR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 am

Ion flicks well, i'm better at it than with the Axis. I got Eclipse soft and medium and hope to throw them today. I tried lighting them up and took it to a dark room yesterday and they did not seem as bright as superglow Wizards. The flight plate is very meaningful and having a couple of glow Wizards sitting next to each other helps, because they charge each other, when they glow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgfanatic7 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 am

MizzouTiger26 wrote:I know this isn't the thread for Axis/Vector, but anyone know if they will be doing Glow with these like the Ions?

the glow vectors were announced to be released december 2nd
dgfanatic7
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 am

I am not too impressed with the glow function of my two Eclipses. Glow Wiz is superior especially, when they are packed side by side. Round two was in the dark and my Spider with a LED was the only disc i used for the first half of the round until the two year old tape gave out so i had to switch to one discing with the Ion Eclipse. I chose to throw only the 175 soft to see, how it would fly. I did not see it very well at all. It did not glow for that many holes being charged by a 3 W Led torchlight for pretty long times per spot. The lamp hurts the eye even during the day if you glimpse at it.

I think i turned over the disc from plane breaking low a few times. But i can't be sure, because i couldn't see the disc that well. I suspect it was me, not the disc. I need to rethrow both Eclipses to say for sure. At least the soft does not feel like it bends in the grip, when i drove with it. It is not too tacky, but at least i did not have slips despite the drops of water in each piece of grass and just above freezing temperature. Considering how high i threw it and how little speed i had on the tiny tee pads surrounded by a sea of mud, i got the soft to fly pretty far. I tried to loosen up the grip from usual and used a power grip. I didn't feel finger scraping, but i can't be sure of that either. More stuff to test later.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Yehosha » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:19 am

Marshall Street has the new Eclipse Glow Ions for $12.79 this weekend. That's 7 bucks of the normal price.
Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment