MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby dgfanatic7 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 am

Yehosha wrote:Marshall Street has the new Eclipse Glow Ions for $12.79 this weekend. That's 7 bucks of the normal price.

they have been that price since eclipse were released
Check out my Trade Thread!:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25744
dgfanatic7
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Xcaliber

Postby rooneytunes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 pm

It'll go back to the higher MSRP in December because of MSDG's glow Nov. deal
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Rogue9 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:23 am

I hate when web sites don't tell you how much shipping is w/o creating an account. Anyone know how much marshall st charges for shipping?
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby Dag » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:27 am

Rogue9 wrote:I hate when web sites don't tell you how much shipping is w/o creating an account. Anyone know how much marshall st charges for shipping?

Right on the top of their homepage:

Marshall Street wrote:Free Shipping on orders over $50. $5.99 Flat Rate Shipping on Orders under $50 / MSt Flight Guide, scorecard & sticker with every order
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Rogue9 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:39 am

Ah. Thanks. I am not familiar with their site and the prices for glow ion caught my eye. Thanks
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby discspeed » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Even down here in FL the temps have been getting cooler and the air much less humid. My medium Ion I've been putting with is feeling a bit too stiff and slick now to feel right to me for putting...It's dropping faster as well and I've been rattling the cage way too much. I've just played through this in the past and my putting has suffered in the winter for it. So I decided to try some of my newer soft Ions in place of my mediums. After spending a little time in my backyard putting some different softs I found that I really liked the way they were flying for me in general, and I especially liked my 171g eclipse soft. The newer softs definitely have stiffer overmolds than the older, and this makes them better for my putting style. It gives them more integrity on my release and also seems to reduce the amount of spin they need compared to the older softs. The eclipse seem to be flatter than the standard stamp, so those feel even better to me, as well as flying more neutral. I went to the store and grabbed 2 more 171g eclipse Ions to practice with and decided to give them a run as my main putter for a bit.

It was a little strange the first round...I made some long putts, but I also had some high misses from around 30', and missed low on a few real short ones. Since then they've been feeling and putting better and better for me. They are also insane drivers...They are very neutral when thrown hard and hold any angle with supreme glide, and they hold up pretty decently in the wind...They are easily 20-30' longer than my heavy mediums, and do shorter ranges with less armspeed as well. Now I've swapped most my heavy mediums for lighter softs. I'm carrying a 167 FR, 172 early soft, 2x171 eclipse soft, and a 175 newer medium.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jwb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:13 pm

This has probably been covered, but are the Ions a good disc to dye? I finally found a disc I like enough to dye.
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby Mike C » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Yup. Only thing is you'll want a blank Ion, the stamped ones are really tough to get the logo off of, not worth the hassle you'd go through.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 am

Is there a general consensus in flight differences between soft and medium, clear and glow? Assuming the same weight and stage of wear.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:10 am

They fly the same. I haven't noticed any variations in flight between all of my Ions of equal wear and weight, and the flight differences between heavier and lighter ones is what you'd expect. Similar stability, but more glide and later fade for the lighter weights.

The only variations I've noticed is I have three Ions with very slightly concaved flight plates. I don't know if it affects their flight at all because the 3 I have with concaved tops are all from different runs and in different weights. I like how they feel for putting though, it's a very, very mild difference but it feels slightly better in my hands.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 pm

The older ones had very slight differences, the mediums being more HSS and less LSS (so overall a tad bit more neutral), and the softs turned a bit easier and also faded a tad more. Minimal differences, only noticeable due to MVPs consistency.

The new mold ones seem to be even closer to each other.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Loop » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 am

Sooo. I've been wondering about these IONs. If they're any good for putting.

The trend seems to be, to use stiff putters for putting. Something about consistency in different weather, or some crap...all I know they spit out a lot.
But since the IONs have that soft outer GYRO-thing-a-ma-jig, it would still stick to chains even if the plate was hard(ish), right?

Anyhoo, hows the Eclipse Glow ION in medium plastique? Is the plate still grippy, like in the transparent soft ones, but with less give?
To what would you compare it to? Harder than the current P2-Psychoes, as hard as the medium crap Gateway makes?
I have one transparent soft ion, which is kinda nice. How much harder is the medium one exactly?

Also how stable are those things, the eclipse glow ones? In either stiffness? Should I go straight to 170-172g, if I was to buy a few for putting? Hows the wind resistance in IONs generally, for putting duties?

That's a few questions, if someone has the patience to answer, it would be much obliged. :|
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 am

Mediums are usually better for push putters, softs are usually better for spin putters.

The core is the exact same plastic in both regular and Eclipse IONs. And even the current D-P2's are all over the board in stiffness, though stiff ones are easier to find than before. =)

I have thrown my medium ION (and sold me one), you should know how stiff they are. =)

Haven't really seen a difference in stability between 171 and 175 in normal IONs, doubt there's anything noteworthy in the Eclipses.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Loop » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:02 pm

jubuttib wrote:Mediums are usually better for push putters, softs are usually better for spin putters.

The core is the exact same plastic in both regular and Eclipse IONs. And even the current D-P2's are all over the board in stiffness, though stiff ones are easier to find than before. =)

I have thrown my medium ION (and sold me one), you should know how stiff they are. =)

Haven't really seen a difference in stability between 171 and 175 in normal IONs, doubt there's anything noteworthy in the Eclipses.

Ah so the stiffness is the same in the opaques and the transparent ones. Right-o. :)
All I remember about the medium ION I sold you, is that I hated the inside of the plate...
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Well they don't have that texture there anymore, it's smooth now.

And the stiffness is very close, if not identical.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment