MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Loop » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Hows the grip?
I remember that the medium opaque one I had, was kinda "sandy" yet slippery on the underside (IMO). But to be honest, I remember almost nothing about the feel/stiffness of the medium one...
This transparent soft one is really nice, almost sticky. It just has quite bit give in it, perhaps too much on sunny days. That's why I'm rather interested in the medium Eclipses and transparent Protons.

You know Jubuttib, this would be a LOT easier if you were online in FB. :D But then again, this might be useful info for others as well...
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 pm

I'll second what was already said on here (I think by Discspeed) that the softs are exceptional in cold weather for those who want some grip but don't want too much give. In 45 degrees (F) Softs feel like Mediums do in 80 degrees (F)...rough estimation.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Loop » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Ok, I'm starting to get satisfied.

One more thing tho, is there any difference between the rims on Eclipse and regular transparent Protons? Other than the fact that the Eclipse one glows of course. :lol:
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I'll second what was already said on here (I think by Discspeed) that the softs are exceptional in cold weather for those who want some grip but don't want too much give. In 45 degrees (F) Softs feel like Mediums do in 80 degrees (F)...rough estimation.

Can't say I agree. I've been throwing S Ions in 20-50 degree weather the past few weeks and even well below freezing they have some give in the flight plate. My Mediums have a stiff flight plate even in the summer.

either way I've been pleased with the Ions grip during the winter so far. That was one concern I had when I switched over in the summer; how well they'd handle rain and snow. I've had no issues putting or driving with them so far.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Mike C wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I'll second what was already said on here (I think by Discspeed) that the softs are exceptional in cold weather for those who want some grip but don't want too much give. In 45 degrees (F) Softs feel like Mediums do in 80 degrees (F)...rough estimation.

Can't say I agree. I've been throwing S Ions in 20-50 degree weather the past few weeks and even well below freezing they have some give in the flight plate. My Mediums have a stiff flight plate even in the summer.

either way I've been pleased with the Ions grip during the winter so far. That was one concern I had when I switched over in the summer; how well they'd handle rain and snow. I've had no issues putting or driving with them so far.

If I dont wipe mine dry before putting I get release issues. Any disc will have release issues when wet or muddy but my medium seems to amplify it.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Loop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 am

I still haven't gotten an idea about the transparent medium one's stiffness.

I have a medium Voodoo, is that as stiff as a medium ION? God I hope not...

Also got a soft Wizard, which is kinda stiff. A bit stiffer than my Psychoes. Would that be a close one?

And please answer the following, in a yes or no manner.
Is the plate as sticky in the medium one as it is in the soft one, if you deduct the grip that the softness gives? I mean, if the soft one was as hard as the medium one, would the grip be the same in them?
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:23 am

Gateway's Medium can be anything from D plastic stiffness to feeling like a porcelain plate. Medium IONs are pretty stiff, but do have some give to them. Stiff, but not hard.

And judging by the ones I have, I give a "yes" to the last question.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 am

Loop wrote:I still haven't gotten an idea about the transparent medium one's stiffness.

I have a medium Voodoo, is that as stiff as a medium ION? God I hope not...

Also got a soft Wizard, which is kinda stiff. A bit stiffer than my Psychoes. Would that be a close one?

And please answer the following, in a yes or no manner.
Is the plate as sticky in the medium one as it is in the soft one, if you deduct the grip that the softness gives? I mean, if the soft one was as hard as the medium one, would the grip be the same in them?

Mediums do give a bit, like jub said, but not so much that you cant grip it on a pitch-putt. To answer your last question...yes? There's no real way to tell, but I feel like the grip is the same, minus the obvious effect softness has on grip.

As for people having release issues with Mediums - I can see how that's a problem because the medium plastic can get smooth in the dry/cold air, and slick in muggy/wet conditions. That's why I switch to softs in the winter and keep a towel handy when its muggy out. But just about any disc will slip out of your hand differently if your hands are sweaty...unless you put pine tar on them.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 am

Mike C wrote:

I do a pitch-style putt, but I know my grip isn't as strong as it should be, so that could be it. But the other day in 45 degree weather, my medium Ion was uber stiff, but still grippy, while my soft wasn't too pliable that it was useless in a pitch putt.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Loop » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Okay, thanks guys. :)

I just ordered a 175g Medium Eclipse Ion. They only had yellow ones in 175g. So I just bought one, to test it out, and possibly use it for throwing after I get my hands on some red ones. 8)

But for the moment, it shall be used in my indoor putting practice.

cheers!
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby Loop » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 am

Did some putting with both, the medium eclipse and the soft proton, today, in 4 m/s and -2 C.

Both worked pretty nicely, but the soft one was definitely superior. Grip was better, which was expected. What I did not expect, was the fact that the medium one glided a lot less. I was missing low a lot more with it.
Dunno if this will be different when putting in warmer weather, or when the medium beats in a bit. Tho the soft one is all most new as well.
Ordered another Soft one for cold/wet putting, the medium will do indoor duties and wait for the summer. :)
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am

So in the past I've complained about the MVP plastic not being very grippy in the rain/snow. Well recently I got in a soft eclipse Ion and I took it out and threw/putted with it the other day in the rain as an experiment and it was much grippier than the older MVP plastic. So I'm gonna have to say that the new stuff is pretty good and has me willing to take a look at the Ion again in the new plastic.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Loop wrote:Okay, thanks guys. :)

I just ordered a 175g Medium Eclipse Ion. They only had yellow ones in 175g. So I just bought one, to test it out, and possibly use it for throwing after I get my hands on some red ones. 8)

cheers!

Red is actually pink. Orange is closer to red.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Hoey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Steve wrote:
Loop wrote:Okay, thanks guys. :)

cheers!

Red is actually pink. Orange is closer to red.

I just don't see that color as pink... maybe a light red at best imho.

But this could just be me.

Axis and Vector going strong in the bag...
Probably adding a Medium Ion to test out throwing off the tee.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby kern9787 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm

I've seen a very distinct red, pink, and orange. I have 2 orange first run vectors, a red later run vector, and I have 3 pink axes and have had a few pink ions (not counting the old opaque pink, although I had one of those too).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment