MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:13 am

discspeed wrote:
emiller3 wrote:
Problems are that it's not stable enough to cover all the shots and that I've really been digging my Wizards lately. I'll leave it in the bag for a while and see if it makes it in.

So, what's a new 166 Medium or Soft gonna fly like compared to this old 171?

New heavy softs are really stable...Thrown from slight hyzer I can't flip them with a full power throw (heavy white opaque).

Do they still push through the hyzer a little, or do they hold it? Mine is holding the hyzer but still pushing through, and I just can't imagine that if these are as consistently made as everyone says that any Ion will be able to approximate the overstable putter slot.

Really digging the Ion now, I took three Wizards (putter, seasoned, new breaking into seasoned) out of my bag yesterday and replaced them with one Ion and I was really happy with the results. But like I said, I need something that'll hold a hyzer off the tee, and even with some nose up my Ion won't do it. How many of you guys complement the Ion with a more overstable putter? I've got my last really overstable Wizard in the bag right now.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby BradC » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:52 pm

I keep an ESP Zone in the bag to compliment my Ions...
BradC
Noob

Postby discspeed » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:51 pm

emiller3 wrote:Do they still push through the hyzer a little, or do they hold it? Mine is holding the hyzer but still pushing through, and I just can't imagine that if these are as consistently made as everyone says that any Ion will be able to approximate the overstable putter slot.

Really digging the Ion now, I took three Wizards (putter, seasoned, new breaking into seasoned) out of my bag yesterday and replaced them with one Ion and I was really happy with the results. But like I said, I need something that'll hold a hyzer off the tee, and even with some nose up my Ion won't do it. How many of you guys complement the Ion with a more overstable putter? I've got my last really overstable Wizard in the bag right now.

The newer heavy softs definitely push through the hyzer a lot less than the mediums...They still don't do a stall shot like an old overstable Wizard though. I throw hyzers with Ions all the time. My favorite method is to throw a broken in Ion with exaggerated hyzer...I have to make sure to be smooth and not give it too much arm, but it's pretty consistent. I would like something that was like the Ion, but more overstable...more or less a big bead Ion. I'm pretty sure it will happen at some point...I tried dropping the Zone in my bag, but it required a different throw than any of my other discs, and I don't really have time to work something totally new into my bag right now.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby eky8 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I've been throwing the ion quite a bit lately. It's a little more understable than I expected. But I have it paired with a premium JOKERi and I think they make a pretty solid combination.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby discspeed » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:32 pm

eky8 wrote:I've been throwing the ion quite a bit lately. It's a little more understable than I expected.

Do you know what run of Ion you are throwing? Does it have a textured bottom? Soft or medium? I haven't thrown any flippy Ions in the last couple of runs. I only see some high speed turn on throws of 300' or more...
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 am

I'm pretty sure I have the oldest mold of medium IONs, and when new('ish) even those didn't turn when Jussi Meresmaa ripped them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Apothecary » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 pm

methinks he likes his oatmeal.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

So I know some people have been using the voodoo/ion combo as a putting/driving putter since the molds are very similar, I however have been driving with ions and putting with magnets. The ion feels like a faster magnet when thrown on the same line and it's in a far superior plastic, I've really been digging it.

My putter line up is:

4 chain magnet 175 main putter
4 chian magnet 169 BEAT turnover drives, upshots, jump putts
Soft Ion 174 drives

I'm interested in trying out one of the new ions though, the ion I've been throwing is from the second run I believe and has a little high speed turn over 300 feet, are the new ones a little more stable? I might be interested in trying out a lighter one too....
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Peot » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Ions and Magnets don't really feel all that similar in the hand, do they? I picked up a Magnet once and was surprised at how bulky it felt.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Lamp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I haven't found magnets to be bulky at all, and Ions definitely have a different feel to them, a bit more deep on the inside of the rim when compared to the magnet.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 pm

the rim feel is different but when I use the ion I use it as a midrange/driving putter, the magnet is specifically for putting/upshots/turnovers, I don't use them to cover the same slot in the bag. I simply pointed out that the flights are similar with the ion being longer on drives.

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Lamp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Yep, I agree with Ion for distance, and magnet for putting, and especially magnet for upshots. I don't know if you've ever been down to dretzka in milwaukee (closer to men. falls) but sometimes they will set up the basket on top of a three level wooden platform. Makes putting a bit more difficult and interesting. Magnets can handle shots on those holes like its no ones business.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 pm

mickas wrote:I'm interested in trying out one of the new ions though, the ion I've been throwing is from the second run I believe and has a little high speed turn over 300 feet, are the new ones a little more stable? I might be interested in trying out a lighter one too....

The new runs are more consistently HSS...The reason for this being that MVP has found a way to make sure the overmolds go on high and symmetrically so that the bead is prominent. So if your second run has a decent bead then it is one of the good ones (many of the late second run softs were better) and is probably similar to the newer ones. If yours has a partially obscured/asymmetrical bead then the new ones will probably be noticeably more HSS. My green 174 new soft is my overstable Ion...I have to throw it dead flat for a straight flight.
discspeed

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:53 pm

got any you're interested in selling off that would have a similar bead/plh/etc. to the one you've described?

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 pm

mickas wrote:got any you're interested in selling off that would have a similar bead/plh/etc. to the one you've described?

We have identical ones at CDGS. I can pick out whatever you need. Just PM me and let me know.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment