MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Ion

Postby eky8 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 pm

discspeed wrote:
eky8 wrote:I've been throwing the ion quite a bit lately. It's a little more understable than I expected.


Do you know what run of Ion you are throwing? Does it have a textured bottom? Soft or medium? I haven't thrown any flippy Ions in the last couple of runs. I only see some high speed turn on throws of 300' or more...


I'm not really sure what run of ion I have it is a medium with a textured bottom. I won it at a tournament. I typically have a pretty clean release. I can throw a putter out to around 280. From what I read I just really expected a straight flight when released flat. I have to put a little more hyzer on it to get that flight than I expected. However the rim on the ion is deeper than I am really used to. It is possible I'm getting a little OAT on it because of that. I definitely don't like the textured bottom. I'll probably try to pick up a new one at some point it sounds like they are closer to what I was expecting.
eky8
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Clearfield UT
Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Re: MVP Ion

Postby peppermack » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 am

@ 280' if you are getting any turn out of it it is OAT.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm

peppermack wrote:@ 280' if you are getting any turn out of it it is OAT.
OAT or a severe lack of spin.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Ion

Postby Timko » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Or your turning it over.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: MVP Ion

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:39 am

So the new Ions w/o the tooling are generally more HSS thanks to the prominent bead correct? How is the flex on the new Softs (same, stiffer, softer, etc.)? I'm really curious on how the Softs will fly in that new transparent plastic but I'm assuming nobody knows at this point.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Surrounded by Boobies.
Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: MVP Ion

Postby discspeed » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 am

BrotherDave wrote:So the new Ions w/o the tooling are generally more HSS thanks to the prominent bead correct? How is the flex on the new Softs (same, stiffer, softer, etc.)? I'm really curious on how the Softs will fly in that new transparent plastic but I'm assuming nobody knows at this point.


I've thrown a clear soft Ion proto...It flew awesome....It was only 165, but it was very HSS and super grippy. The plastic with the clear colorant really seems to be grippy in the soft blends. I haven't felt or thrown this production run (yet :wink: ).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby JR » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am

jubuttib wrote:
peppermack wrote:@ 280' if you are getting any turn out of it it is OAT.
OAT or a severe lack of spin.


Tits! My only new mold Ion is a soft 168 black on black and i need to power it down to not have it flip on me. I was futzing with pushing the wrist down grips and grip strength big time in my previous field session. I've gained in grip strength and moving the pinch earlier i was getting better results. I also got a two finger grip (trying to reduce possible sticking to the fingers) middle finger grip in the disc with a non strong armed late acceleration throw. So i switched to one finger grip and it still flipped for me. I was getting pissed at my lack of success so i removed every finger from inside the disc. And the disc still flipped over meh. Did not notice bending of the disc but who knows.

Then i took exaggeratedly slow steps and way slow arm motion start basically throwing from the right pec only with any sort of power maximizing smoothness. The lower fade and lighter weight made the disc fly to 85-90% of my Ion record (300') with hardly any fade with a way high throw released with about 10-12 degree hyzer flipping to flat. Less fade than earlier mold Ions goes for putting too and this is the forte of my disc. The throw was so high that it is difficult to gauge and the place i threw at had no objects whose height i know. Apex height is just an approximation at possibly 40-50'. No joy so i use something else for drives. I did repeat the shot with one and two finger grips too later for a test. So i would imagine that maybe finger sticking ain't the issue unless the thumb does something wonky. The extra super duper slow throw hopefully means that wrist rolls shouldn't happen either. I think i did not have low plane breaking either. But what do i know? I just can't get the damn thing to release flat and stay flat beyond approach power. I haven't tested my limit to flat release flat flight distance but i imagine 200' might be the upper limit or too far for repeatability for me with this disc. The same for sanded mold soft and mediums of higher weight. I hope you fare better.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11491
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: MVP Ion

Postby mshelton » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 am

discspeed wrote:
mickas wrote:I'm interested in trying out one of the new ions though, the ion I've been throwing is from the second run I believe and has a little high speed turn over 300 feet, are the new ones a little more stable? I might be interested in trying out a lighter one too....


The new runs are more consistently HSS...The reason for this being that MVP has found a way to make sure the overmolds go on high and symmetrically so that the bead is prominent. So if your second run has a decent bead then it is one of the good ones (many of the late second run softs were better) and is probably similar to the newer ones. If yours has a partially obscured/asymmetrical bead then the new ones will probably be noticeably more HSS. My green 174 new soft is my overstable Ion...I have to throw it dead flat for a straight flight.



If I'm reading this right Discspeed, are you saying that some of the eariler ones with a partially obscured bead are considerably less HSS?

If that's right, and I feel kinda rude asking but if you wouldn't mind checking the next time you're in the Clearwater store to see if they have any, I'm thinking I might be able to replace my Warlock or beat Voodoo with a less than stable Ion to pair with my newer stableish one.
mshelton
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:12 am
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Re: MVP Ion

Postby peppermack » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:58 am

@JR, of the 8 ions I have none of them flip at 320' or more of power. At 320'+ I start to get a little turn out of it but only like 2-3' of rightward movement.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm

mshelton wrote:
discspeed wrote:
mickas wrote:I'm interested in trying out one of the new ions though, the ion I've been throwing is from the second run I believe and has a little high speed turn over 300 feet, are the new ones a little more stable? I might be interested in trying out a lighter one too....


The new runs are more consistently HSS...The reason for this being that MVP has found a way to make sure the overmolds go on high and symmetrically so that the bead is prominent. So if your second run has a decent bead then it is one of the good ones (many of the late second run softs were better) and is probably similar to the newer ones. If yours has a partially obscured/asymmetrical bead then the new ones will probably be noticeably more HSS. My green 174 new soft is my overstable Ion...I have to throw it dead flat for a straight flight.



If I'm reading this right Discspeed, are you saying that some of the eariler ones with a partially obscured bead are considerably less HSS?

If that's right, and I feel kinda rude asking but if you wouldn't mind checking the next time you're in the Clearwater store to see if they have any, I'm thinking I might be able to replace my Warlock or beat Voodoo with a less than stable Ion to pair with my newer stableish one.
Out of the ones I have only the protos have a bead obscured enough to really call them understable. Those are the blue ones with a red/orange rim.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Ion

Postby mshelton » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:45 pm

Ah, and I assume that since they are protos that folks probably want to hang on to them or get a decent price for them.
mshelton
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:12 am
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Re: MVP Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:38 pm

mshelton wrote:Ah, and I assume that since they are great that folks probably want to hang on to them or get a decent price for them.
FTFY.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Ion

Postby PRES 10 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm

I believe that the new clear Ions are in medium right now. Also the blue core/red rim are first runs not proto's
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Lapeer, Mi
Favorite Disc: ION

Re: MVP Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 pm

PRES 10 wrote:I believe that the new clear Ions are in medium right now. Also the blue core/red rim are first runs not protos
They have been referred to as both in the past.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Ion

Postby PRES 10 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:48 pm

jubuttib wrote:
PRES 10 wrote:I believe that the new clear Ions are in medium right now. Also the blue core/red rim are first runs not protos
They have been referred to as both in the past.


You are correct they are commonly referred to as proto's. The truth is there were only a very very small amount of proto's that left the shop, none of which were blue/red.
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Lapeer, Mi
Favorite Disc: ION

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests