Best Disc Golf Shoes?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Disc Golf Shoes?

Postby BrunsChad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:34 am

I'm in the market for some new shoes and I was just wondering what people on here use and what seems to work. The only things that I need are and good toe cap and waterproof lining. After that, I'm sure every company makes shoes that have good grip and are comfortable. I know the Milo II's are good, but I've been looking at the Keen Tyron's and they seem like they may work as well. Just wanted a little insight before I made a purchase that I'm going to have to deal with for a while!
PDGA #45984
CE TLs & Valkyries, Z Avengers, Wraiths, Forces, 12x KC Pro Rocs & Aviars, SSS & S Magics
BrunsChad
Noob

Favorite Disc: Avenger

Re: Best Disc Golf Shoes?

Postby bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:48 am

flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

Teva Rivas. Absurdly comfortable and built like tanks, especially at the toe. The eVents are truly water-proof and breath well enough for me to wear them all day at work. I've been abusing mine on mountain courses for months and there's not a hint of sole separation or any other issue, they're still like new.

And not everything out there is comfortable, many of the Merrells I tried on actually hurt my feet. I'd highly recommend trying before you buy.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Apothecary » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 am

yeah my merrells hurt my feet for about a week before the fancy insole broke in. after that they felt great...until the sole separated from the body...TWICE.

thank FSM for REIs return policy!

so i dropped the merrells and went with the vasque breeze. nice and sturdy hiking boot that is reinforced on the toe and lots of gore-tex to keep ma tootsies warm/cool and dry. aggressive vibram sole. been going strong for three months and i dont have a single bad thing to say about them.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:24 am

emiller3 wrote:And not everything out there is comfortable, many of the Merrells I tried on actually hurt my feet. I'd highly recommend trying before you buy.

agreed. not impressed with any merrells.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 am

I have noticed half of the top pros wear stuff that I wouldn't consider disc golf shoes like some basketball shoes or some other goofy high top shoe. I have always got salomons.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 am

I should add that I have Salomon XT Wings as well for when I play on grippy teepads. Although my Salomons had sole separation within a couple months of fairly light use.

Unfortunately my home course is now a mix of loose dirt teepads and some new cement pads they just put in that are really rough and grippy. I just have to be extra sure to stay on the balls of my feet when wearing my Tevas on those rough cement pads. Smooth cement pads haven't been a problem for either shoe.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby BrunsChad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 am

rusch_bag wrote:I have noticed half of the top pros wear stuff that I wouldn't consider disc golf shoes like some basketball shoes or some other goofy high top shoe. I have always got salomons.

Yea, I've seen Double G use huge Basketball shoes and Nikko has been using what looks like Nike Turf Baseball shoes.
PDGA #45984
CE TLs & Valkyries, Z Avengers, Wraiths, Forces, 12x KC Pro Rocs & Aviars, SSS & S Magics
BrunsChad
Noob

Postby BrunsChad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am

I still would like to get something that's waterproof with a solid toe cap. I'm pretty smooth when it comes to my shoes as my current ones I've had for a year and the traction is still good, no sole separation, just the toe cap is seriously ripping. They are North Face Hedgehogs and I loved them, minus the toe cap not being able to hold up to the wear and tear of DG.
PDGA #45984
BrunsChad
Noob

Postby mshelton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 am

I've always gone back to the Salomons, not the trail running variety but the low top hiking shoes, I think the Aero or Exit is their current one.

Tried the Oboz and they killed my feet, then I noticed the whole top of each shoe had shifted to towards the inside of the sole jamming the inside of my foot over, tread wore down in a month also as well as some separation issues. They may work for some but I was pretty displeased and uncomfortable in them.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby JHern » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 am

Most of the local pros in these parts wear Keen Milo. Many of them are sponsored by Keen. Keen gives a lot of donations to the local disc golf scene for course upkeep, etc., so they're quite popular among disc golfers in California.

Also, Keen will soon be releasing another disc golf model shoe, called the DeLaveaga. They're suppose to become available at 2011 Pro Worlds, so I can tell you all about them after 13 August. I haven't heard much else, but if you're in the market and can wait another month or so, then maybe it is worthwhile...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mike C » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Haven't tried out anything that's as comfortable, quick to put on and take off, rugged and supportive as my Merrel Chameleon Stretch 3's, but I keep my eyes open. My Keen Jaspers didn't wear anywhere nearly as slow, and flat soled skate shoes aren't as comfy to me as they were.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Lowa boots are unmatched in comfort and durability for me and ive been through just about everything
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby mshelton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 pm

A big thing to consider too is foot width, Merrels and Keens do well for people with feet on the wide side, Salomons are good for narrow feet. Someone posted here that they had narrow feet and good success with Adidas too.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby weedjj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 am

mshelton wrote:A big thing to consider too is foot width, Merrels and Keens do well for people with feet on the wide side, Salomons are good for narrow feet. Someone posted here that they had narrow feet and good success with Adidas too.

Terrific point! I have wide feet myself and I absolutely LOVE my Merrels for everyday/every situation use. As far as heavy disc golf use goes, I can see some of these other types of shoes look to have a heavier toe than my merrels, so I can see they might be better. I would love to find something like those oboz shoes that come in wide versions if anybody knows of anything!
weedjj
Noob

Favorite Disc: River

Next

Return to Equipment