Disc Weight question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Weight question

Postby archimedesjs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Ever since I started to buy my own discs, I always bought the max weight. From mid-range to drivers, so now I have a question. If I can throw a 175G Star Beast about 380'-400' would my distance increase if the disc was lighter...say in the 160's? I don't see much discussion about disc weight on the board, the focus mainly seems to be on technique, or when it is about discs it's just about the brands, models, etc. When I do hear about disc weights, it's usually about how the pros use light weight discs during long distance competitions. I was just wondering how big of a factor that would be, and how much distance is there to be gained. A detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Re: Disc Weight question

Postby zenn0913 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Well I know that the longest distance throws are done with lighter discs but from everything I hear you get more consistency / reliability with Max weight discs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
zenn0913
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

throw lighter discs, be prepared to be amazed.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby mickas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm

using science I've decided that lighter discs have more glide, and less wind resistance yay!
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Steve » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Wind resistance can be built into the throw if you know how to play the wind. Heavy weight discs can help compensate for no wind skill.

It is easier to throw lighter weight discs and they take less power to get up to speed. This translates to an easier throw which can help with accuracy and endurance at the end of the round.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 am

Steve wrote:Wind resistance can be built into the throw if you know how to play the wind. Heavy weight discs can help compensate for no wind skill.

It is easier to throw lighter weight discs and they take less power to get up to speed. This translates to an easier throw which can help with accuracy and endurance at the end of the round.

I think you're misusing resistance in this context, but yes, technique can improve throws in the wind; more spin and flatter releases. However, a heavier disc will fly more consistently in windy conditions given all other variables are equal. You get at this point in your second statement. A lighter weight disc will get up to speed with less force, but the other side of the coin is that it also takes less force to affect it's flight.
[/physics degree]

I love lightweight drivers, but prefer my mids and putters be ~175g so I can use the same ones in any weather no worries.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 am

As a person who regularly putts with a 168 putter in wind, let me tell you, weight matters a little in the wind but nose angle is way more important*.

*note: note applicable in crazy high winds.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 am

Frank Delicious wrote:*note: note applicable in crazy high winds.
And when the wind really gets blowing, even heavy discs are of very little help.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 am

Dbuntu wrote:
Steve wrote:Wind resistance can be built into the throw if you know how to play the wind. Heavy weight discs can help compensate for no wind skill.

I think you're misusing resistance in this context, but yes, technique can improve throws in the wind; more spin and flatter releases. However, a heavier disc will fly more consistently in windy conditions given all other variables are equal. You get at this point in your second statement. A lighter weight disc will get up to speed with less force, but the other side of the coin is that it also takes less force to affect it's flight.
[/physics degree]

I love lightweight drivers, but prefer my mids and putters be ~175g so I can use the same ones in any weather no worries.

How did I use resistance wrong?

I guess I could just use the same blanket statement as everone else "Lightweight discs are great but they suck in the wind"

Just snapping it and throwing it flat won't take care of all wind conditions. Thats where people get in trouble with lighter discs. If you keep the bottom from being exposed to the wind and throw the correct disc for the conditions, wind won't matter as much. I could be wrong as I don't have a degree in physics or proper word usage though.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby archimedesjs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm intrigued enough to drop a few bucks on some lightweight discs now, but does anybody have any recommendations for how light I should go?
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dump truck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:25 pm

I'd say try dropping weights in groups. 172-173, 168-171,167&under. I like lighter weights for lesser stable discs and tailwinds. Heavier weights for more overstable and headwinds.

I went from all heavy, then no max weights, now I use each to it's advantage.

And oh yeah(for ref). Do to the context of my skill in windy conditions I can throw either 150 class or 175g putters 700 ft with pinpoint accuracy
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Steve wrote:How did I use resistance wrong?

It's more me being nitpicky about a term that is fairly vague to begin with. When I think of resistance it's more a term that describes shape and material. Not entirely unlike friction, or drag, whatever. A 180g dx wraith and a 170g dx wraith will cause air to move around them in the same way while in flight, but the 170g will be moved by less forceful breezes. Breezes affect it more, but it travels through the air the same way.
I got the impression you were making the claim that you can adjust your throw to make wind less of an issue or "more resistant to the forces of wind" Like I said just being nitpicky, don't take it as me trying to be a douche or debase your opinion as that wasn't my intention. Apologies if it seemed so.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Yig » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Dump truck wrote:And oh yeah(for ref). Do to the context of my skill in windy conditions I can throw either 150 class or 175g putters 700 ft with pinpoint accuracy

Now that's pretty funny.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g. Champ Cobra 165g, Star Mako 162g, Champ TL 168g, Medium Trak 157g, VIP Sword 175g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH/Tomahawk
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova TL

Return to Equipment