Ask Gateway!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ask Gateway!

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:08 pm

GatewayDiscSports wrote:In hindsight we should probably be using hardness instead of flex with a range of flex within each hardness but it would be difficult trying to keep them all in stock.

Why not just label them 1-10 based on your firmness/hardness scale?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby GatewayDiscSports » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

hey frank D,

we shipped a box of discs out to the address in holly springs you sent us and it came back as "attempted not known".

when I asked the ups guy,, he said your must have refused the box,,,???

any idea on what happened?
GatewayDiscSports
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gateway Slayer

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 am

No UPS guy ever came to the house. Talked to the wife and she says she never talked to a UPS guy either. I thought UPS just left packages on the front porch and didn't require delivery confirmation.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby chainsmoker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:32 am

They don't leave packages in some neighborhoods.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:46 am

What you saying about my neighborhood?
Frank Delicious

Postby chainsmoker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:31 am

nothing :wink:
I've lived in a couple neighborhoods that UPS would leave a note saying that I could pick my package up at the distribution center or be home when the driver is there. I think attempted not known has to do with an address that is close but not correct.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TLapham » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am

GatewayDiscSports wrote:hey frank D,

we shipped a box of discs out to the address in holly springs you sent us and it came back as "attempted not known".

when I asked the ups guy,, he said your must have refused the box,,,???

any idea on what happened?

Is it possible to buy a box of these discs? My stable stash is running low and I need to purchase a big batch that are all relatively the same and these sound like the ones I've been looking for.

Let me know.

Thanks.
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby Timko » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 am

Yes, just call the shop and they'll send them out. This is generally how I buy putting Wizards (5 or 10 at a time).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm

So I got the wizards in and threw them at lunch. They are much closer to the older wizards that I love than the other newer wizards I have. I got 3 glows, 2 are med stiffness and one is soft stiffness (in gateway's rating system). The two meds are a little more stable than the soft and handle headwind better. They held a hyzer into a slight headwind whereas the soft one popped to flat from the gentle hyzer. The only shot that I throw with my old ones that the new ones don't really like to do is hold an extended hyzer. The new ones want to flip up to flat where the old ones will hold the line. I'm playing dubs tonight and will be throwing one of these in the bag to test more on the course.

Also I got in 3 slayers, two are flippy and one is hella beefy, like the old flat spirits beefy. Very odd.
Frank Delicious

Postby JHern » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:30 pm

chickenonabun wrote:Do these "bad wizards" (which I don't really think are that bad) turn over even if you can only throw them like 250 feet? Cuz I turn over my wizards all the time and I don't have that much power, I want to know if its my OAT issues or the discs.

I think the difference between the older and recent Wizards has more to do with OAT resistance, and dissipation of wobble during flight. If you're throwing with a clean release, you'll never turn a Wizard over. OAT is the only way to turn over any Wizard I've ever thrown (ask my wife: I own a ton of Wizards!). Some are more over-stable, and others are just purely stable. (Note also that its much much harder to throw with a clean release when you're throwing a putter 300'+.)
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby dehaas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:45 pm

i've always wondered about how a lower profile gateway putter would fly. something along the lines of an xd, maybe a little more stable than one though.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby veganray » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

dehaas wrote:i've always wondered about how a lower profile gateway putter would fly. something along the lines of an xd, maybe a little more stable than one though.

Different every run.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby JHern » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 pm

dehaas wrote:i've always wondered about how a lower profile gateway putter would fly. something along the lines of an xd, maybe a little more stable than one though.

Great idea! I'd try one, for sure...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Peot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:So I got the wizards in and threw them at lunch. They are much closer to the older wizards that I love than the other newer wizards I have. I got 3 glows, 2 are med stiffness and one is soft stiffness (in gateway's rating system). The two meds are a little more stable than the soft and handle headwind better. They held a hyzer into a slight headwind whereas the soft one popped to flat from the gentle hyzer. The only shot that I throw with my old ones that the new ones don't really like to do is hold an extended hyzer. The new ones want to flip up to flat where the old ones will hold the line. I'm playing dubs tonight and will be throwing one of these in the bag to test more on the course.

Also I got in 3 slayers, two are flippy and one is hella beefy, like the old flat spirits beefy. Very odd.

How would you say these recent runs compare to the recent 12x Aviars? I love the feel of the Wizard but a lot of the ones I tried felt bulky in the shoulder and exceptionally deep in the rim.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm

they say almost the same thing about ray (minus the bulky shoulders). :lol:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment