Jeronimo wrote:Earmuffs, Discspeed...

This disc is just stupid.

FTFY
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:12 am

It's so straight! It's stupid! WTF?! Why did this disc have to come out and screw up my mid system...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby new013 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 am

jubuttib wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:Picky picky.... :-P
Someone has to be. =)

But yeah, seems like my mid line-up is Vector/C-MD2/Axis/D-MD2 for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: BTW, between the orange and the green one, they might or might not be a tiny tiny bit different. When I threw them side by side I felt like I got a tiny bit more of unexpected turn out of the green one, and if you put a gun against my head I'd say it's slightly flatter too. PLH looks to be close to if not totally identical, maybe, just maybe the orange is a hair higher. The difference is minimal if it in fact exists at all outside my mind.

i have the orange and green as well and noticed the same thing, i think discspeed was even saying he had an orange with a slight dome and it was more stable than the greens. so i don't think you are crazy. i agree that the axis fits right in that gap, i'm planning on going CMD2/Axis/Mako.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby upchuck1383 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:15 pm

I have had mixed feelings about my axis so far(2x neon orange 180g). Previously I have thrown buzzes(glow, crispy z, worn z) comlimented with a fuse and vector. I think the axis performs the "straight" role much better then the crispy Z. As in it holds a tighter line even at higher speeds. I guess I was hoping for it to be a hair more understable. I can't see not carrying my beat Z for now. For those shots I just dont want a ton of turn(fuse). I guess this ramble boils down to do you think it will become noticeably more understable as it wears? And do you think the lighter ones will be more understable right out of the box? I dislike having to carry a bunch of mids made by different manufacturers for comfort reasons. I would love to go(overstable to under)Vector, Axis, Axis, fuse. I'm sure its partly my own inabilities. I just feel like I need 4 mids to accomplish what I can with my fairway drivers(Eagle,T-bird, river).
upchuck1383
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:24 pm

The almost flat green Axis I've been using since before they were released is definitely a touch understable now at distances of more than 250'. It turns very slight and slowly, but the turn is there. I think with even a little wear the Axis wants to become straight...I believe that's the true nature of the mold. I don't think even the ones that start out slightly overstable are going to stay that way for long.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby new013 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:29 pm

I didnt reach for my axis that many times today at Leigh Farm but when i did i was happy that it was there. I'm still not that comfortable with the disc overall which is one reason it didn't come out that much but the other reason is that i'm still so in love with my CMD2 that I usually reach for it in a lot mid situations.

The first time I did grab the axis out was on #14 (we started on #5) which is a 259ft hole that is a bit downhill and there is a gap at about 100' and then the basket sits down to about 15ft right of the straight fairway over a creek. With my CMD2 at this range it has a tendency to fade back more than I want and my Mako or Ion isn't the best on downhill shots because if it catches air it'll either overglide or fade back as well. So I grabbed the Axis, threw it with a bit of anny, hit the gap still turning right and then leveled out and went down about 5 feet left, 10 feet short of the basket.

The next time I took out the Axis was on #1 which is another downhill shot about 260ft but with this one there is a tight gap with an 20ft overhang of trees at about 180ft. This was basically the same situation and for the same reasons as on #14 I couldn't use my MD2/Mako/Ion. So I grabbed the axis, threw it low and flat and it went right through the gap and started to fade left a bit before the basket and hit the treeline that sits about 15 feet left of the basket, ricocheted and gave me a 15ft putt for birdie.

I pulled it out one more time on the final hole after a bad drive but I hit a tree so there it didn't work (user error) but on the two holes where I did drive it I had very good results so as of now it's fitting nicely in my bag.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mejlholm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 am

Picked up a couple of these and tested them yesterday. I'm pretty sure that I ran into the pink overstable ones, as these discs have a very noticeable dome. The also fly a bit more stable than expected, but not as much as others have reported in this thread. All in all, they fly pretty nicely and hold every line tried them on (if I give it a full rip (500" power)). Anything but a full rip will make it hyzer out.. Having tested these I'm thinking of picking up a set of non-pink ones, and hope that they behave a little better.

I also picked up a couple of vectors and ions (again). I really like the new feel of the ions and will be giving these a good try. The vectors were not as overstable as I'd expect, but seem to hold HSS pretty well. Guess I'll know how I like them after I get to play a round in the wind.
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:16 am

I'm not totally blown away by the Axis, but it's not because I don't think it's a great disc. If any of you still remember me raving on about the early P-MD2's, this is exactly the sort of flight I was getting out of them, though the Axis glides a bit better. It's great that I can have that flight again in a disc that's made at least somewhat consistently (hopefully they'll manage to nail everything down by the second run and all of them will be coming out like the max weight orange one I have), but it's not enough to get me to go totally gaga over it again.

mejlholm wrote:(500" power)
I think you meant 500' mate.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby turso » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:54 am

Maybe he did mean 500", who are we to judge his powerlevel, it's not even 9000!
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 am

Its too early to tell but my 178 orange Axis has a lot of overlap with my Z Comet for straight lines and seems either more HSS or isn't as sensitive to OAT or both (all good things). My Comet has tons of glide but it also has a few feet of turn before fading back to straight thrown hard with a little hyzer over 300'. It could be that the Axis is new regarding the stable straight lines it held during yesterday's round but I liked it. I feel like I can rip the Axis and even though it doesn't go as far as my xbuzzz its replacing for now what it falls short in distance it seems to make up for in accuracy. I teed off on 6 of the 18 on Bud Hill's original and parked 3 of them for birdie. I think I just need to aim a little higher due to it being about 280' max golf line disc for me right now. The low throws I had did skid forward a good bit.

I had one 200' upshot with an awkward standstill downhill stance throwing over a little valley to the basket on the same level that I early released the Axis. I took a second throw with the Comet and of course it was 10' from the basket. IDK 7clintsecondthrow is often better than the orginal but I can usually get my Comet in one putt range on an open shot regardless of the footing. I got an ESP Buzzz at last weekends tourney so I might let 'em fight it out for a while.

I'm also interested in Midari if anyone has any comparisons to the Axis and or Buzzz... going to read the MD2 thread. later
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 am

I have 500" of power.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 am

Basic MIDARi is pretty much P/new D-MD2 stability, but is faster and has less glide. Pretty Buzzz-like but little glide.

Premium MIDARi has a tad more fade, but is similar otherwise.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 am

jubuttib wrote:Basic MIDARi is pretty much P/new D-MD2 stability, but is faster and has less glide. Pretty Buzzz-like but little glide.

Damn, no one has the Basic Midari in the states... not even ebay. I dig that basic grippy plastic even though it beats up quickly.

So if I can pull the Axis 280' on a 15' high thrown flatish golf line and the Z Buzzz goes a little further on the same line, how far could I expect the Premium Midari and P-MD2 to go? Also, could anyone compare the Premium Midari and or P-MD2 in HSS to Axis? thanks
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Triflusal » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:19 am

7ontheline wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Basic MIDARi is pretty much P/new D-MD2 stability, but is faster and has less glide. Pretty Buzzz-like but little glide.

Damn, no one has the Basic Midari in the states... not even ebay. I dig that basic grippy plastic even though it beats up quickly.

So if I can pull the Axis 280' on a 15' high thrown flatish golf line and the Z Buzzz goes a little further on the same line, how far could I expect the Premium Midari and P-MD2 to go? Also, could anyone compare the Premium Midari and or P-MD2 in HSS to Axis? thanks

if you cant get it further than that why dont you throw a driver?
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Re: Re: Axis of Evil

Postby kern9787 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 am

Timko wrote:

I have 500" of power.

I was wondering who else would catch that.

I have 500" of power.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment