Axis of Evil

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby cmrichar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 pm

BrotherDave wrote:What if, the Axis is not as good as a Buzzz? Dun dun duh.
We don't compare our discs to other manufacturers discs.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby Monocacy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Chad: A very important question (at least, important to me) - what weights?

Please say 165 please say 165 please say 165 . . .
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:39 pm

cmrichar wrote:
We don't compare our discs to other manufacturers discs.

don't worry, everyone else on here will.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby cmrichar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Monocacy wrote:Chad: A very important question (at least, important to me) - what weights?

Still to be determined at this time. The majority of the first runs are going to be heavy, however we will try our best to get variety in.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby Redisculous » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm

It sounds almost like this is going to fall between my buzzes and comets... I don't know how ifeel about that. I already feel like my older buzzes and newer comets overlap. Maybe it could chase them both out of the bag, but I kinda have my doubts. I do plan on trying it out though..

Don't get me wrong, I've been wanting to throw this disc sine the ion debut :)
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Monocacy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 pm

cmrichar wrote:
Monocacy wrote:Chad: A very important question (at least, important to me) - what weights?

Still to be determined at this time. The majority of the first runs are going to be heavy, however we will try our best to get variety in.

Thank you for the quick response, Chad, even though it is not what I want to hear. In related news, have you noticed how the big online realtors can't seem to keep light Ions in stock . . . :)
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discspeed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 pm

The only way that would be possible is if it were exactly like the Buzzz, only worse in some way. MVP's gyro weight distribution and altered design is going to yield something that in the very least is significantly different from the Buzzz, therefore free from black and white modernistic hierarchical renderings such as good/better/best. :lol:
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 am

I'm wondering if it will fly much like a Buzzz SS. I know MVP doesn't want to compare, but I sounds too similar - broken in Buzzz with more glide.

I also wonder if the gyro effect will keep it from losing altitude on anhyzer throws. Is there a breakdown of the physics of this technology already posted? I'm curious to know how it affects flight on all angles of release, as well as more or less snap/more or less power.

EDIT: I might have found my answer on Discspeed's facebook review of the Vector (I did a google search) "...which tends to make discs fly with a more forward dominant flightpath regardless of the angle the disc is flying on." - that makes sense, and it's what I was expecting.

It seems like this technology is stretching out the distances that can be reached with slower molds. However, I still don't think this will solve the problem of kids wanting to throw champ bosses on a 270' hole. Anyway, what I like about this (and I don't even own any MVP yet...) is that it's progressive and stepping out of the box. It only makes sense to make physics work for you in this sport.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby beatroc » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm going to definitely pick a couple up when I go to GGGT on the 24th. I'm excited to rip one down hole #4 at Blue Ribbon Pines.
Rattler - Ion
Roc
Cyclone
TD - PD - Firechicken

http://frolfware.com
beatroc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rooneytunes » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:23 pm

I just thought of something. Is MVP using the same material that they use on the Ion overmold with the vector and axis? I just figured that since it is meant to help grip the chains with the Ion, maybe they could change the material that would be more beneficial to that gyro effect and possibly be more durable (not that it is lacking in durability as is).
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby discspeed » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I'm wondering if it will fly much like a Buzzz SS. I know MVP doesn't want to compare, but I sounds too similar - broken in Buzzz with more glide.

I also wonder if the gyro effect will keep it from losing altitude on anhyzer throws. Is there a breakdown of the physics of this technology already posted? I'm curious to know how it affects flight on all angles of release, as well as more or less snap/more or less power.

EDIT: I might have found my answer on Discspeed's facebook review of the Vector (I did a google search) "...which tends to make discs fly with a more forward dominant flightpath regardless of the angle the disc is flying on." - that makes sense, and it's what I was expecting.

It seems like this technology is stretching out the distances that can be reached with slower molds. However, I still don't think this will solve the problem of kids wanting to throw champ bosses on a 270' hole. Anyway, what I like about this (and I don't even own any MVP yet...) is that it's progressive and stepping out of the box. It only makes sense to make physics work for you in this sport.

I don't think it's going to compare too closely to the Buzzz SS besides stability. The Buzzz SS is a little faster than the Buzzz, and the Axis is a bit slower. The Axis also has a concave wing, and the Buzzz SS has a flat wing. That means essentially they will fly a little different on all release and nose angles.

Regarding your question about losing altitude on the anny like the Buzzz, Chad said that it holds it's altitude and just pans to the right. The gyro effect will be much stronger than on the Vector as the Vector's overstable shape negates some of the forward penetration, especially on a hyzer angle.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:07 pm

rooneytunes wrote:I just thought of something. Is MVP using the same material that they use on the Ion overmold with the vector and axis? I just figured that since it is meant to help grip the chains with the Ion, maybe they could change the material that would be more beneficial to that gyro effect and possibly be more durable (not that it is lacking in durability as is).

I'm pretty sure MVP's overmold are already as gyroscopically weighted as they can possibly be without sacrificing durability or weakening the bond between the two plastics. After using Vectors for the past few months, I honestly would not want them ANY more durable. As it is it takes months to see a difference in flight, and those differences are still small. I also think the black plastic on the outside helps lessen kicks/ricochets with the mids like it does with the Ion.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:07 am

The only way I've managed to scratch up the overmold on my IONs has involved throwing them at sharp metal objects. Nothing I've done on the course has left a mark on them.

Even if the overmolding didn't give any gyroscopic advantages I'd still support it because it keeps the rim of the disc from getting roughed up better than any single plastic solution I've seen apart from Vibram rubbers and floppy putter R-Pro.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jwb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 am

So is this going to be like the Ion? 1st run is different from the 2nd.
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby discspeed » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:06 am

jwb wrote:So is this going to be like the Ion? 1st run is different from the 2nd.

MVP has come a long way since the FR Ions. The last run of Ions was by far their largest and most consistent run, and they are more consistent in shape and flight than any other discs out there. The Vectors have been coming out perfect as well. So I expect the first run of Axes to represent what they will fly like in subsequent runs.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment