Sharpshooters....

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sharpshooters....

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Bought a set of Sharpshooters on Ebay to take on the road with me on the airplane when I travel so I can play other courses...

Anyway took them up to the local course.

They throw "ugly".

I mean they don't look good in flight - it's like I am just throwing bricks out there.

But they travel the same distances and my score was exactly the same as usual.

The added benifit of these things is they float.

What I am getting at I guess is a question.

Do different manufacturer's discs just fly different and not better or worse just different?

Does that make sense?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:24 am

i was very much not impressed with the sharpshooters. all 3 of them flew the same for me, just different distances. i rated them all HSS 0 LSS +3.

most of the manufacturers follow design trends that dictate a bit of how their discs as a whole fly.

examples:
-nearly all discraft discs MUST be thrown nose down to get them to fly straight or turn over. there are a lot of discs from other manufacturers that aren't so rigid on this.

-the majority of the newer discs in discraft's line are designed to fly straight for players with 425'+ of power and be thrown flat or slight anhyzer.

-innova's line is more conducive to hyzer flips. however, a growing number of their discs MUST turn to get good carry out of them (wraith, orc, starfire).

-gateway's line (with the exception of the sabre and element) are designed to be thrown broken in. while the wizard and element x are good when new, they do get straighter as they age. the spirit, speed demon, blaze, hybrid, and illusion all fly overstable until they are aged.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:19 am

"HSS 0 LSS +3"?

When you threw the sharpshooters did you throw nose down and level or did you make adjustments?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:14 pm

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/catalo ... Chart1.pdf

HSS = high speed stability (-3 to +2)
LSS = low speed stability (0 to +5)

threw them in every way possible. only way i could get any carry was with a ton of anhyzer.
Blake_T

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks.

How much distance did you lose compared to your discs of choice?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:52 pm

i wasn't throwing particularly well that day and i was only throwing my tester discs (so stuff i'm not familiar with) with the exception of a couple of rocs i threw in warmup. my rocs were going 50' farther than the sharpshooter #1. my roc throws that day were in the 260-280' range and i was putting my tester spectra out 330'+ w/ a few 380'+ rollers. it was cold and windy and i didn't get much warmup time and hadn't been throwing much lately.
Blake_T

Postby Adam K » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:43 pm

Is this correct?

It is my understanding that when I hear 'nose down,' you aren't talking about hyser, you are talking about the nose of the disc that is pointed tword the basket. So you could have a hyser or annhyser nose down shot.

If this is correct, what degree of angle would the disc be released at? A couple of degrees or 15 degrees.
Adam K
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:27 pm

you are correct that nose angle is the front/back angle of the disc whereas hyzer is the outter/inner edge.

as for how much is required, a lot of it depends on the disc.

general rule: the slower the disc and narrower the rim, the less nose down dependent it is. similarly, the less durable the plastic, the less nose angle sensitive it will be.

most putters/mids can be thrown nose neutral (flat) but perform slightly better w/ at least 1 degree of nose down. most older design drivers, e.g. pro d cyclones, dx gazelles will only need like 1-5 degrees of nose down. a disc like a champion orc will require more like 10.

most of the newer drivers: crush, starfire, orc, wraith, etc. will require a LOT Of nose down and are very nose angle sensitive, which is why i don't recommend them for players without a lot of power (generally lower-powered players do not have enough nose down).
Blake_T

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm

Blake,

I have been getting more distance out of my discs since following alot of your advice - The nose down discussions have helped a ton.

I picked the Sharpshooter back up again just to play with them.

I love the #2 and #3.

I think I have been putting much better with the #3 than I have been with my Pro Line Rhyno - my regular putter of choice.

But this #1 just doesn't go. Started adding some anhyzer after re-reading your responses on this thread and It got a little better.

But 205 to 215 is all I can get out of this disc. #2 goes about 225 and the #3 lands in the same range as the #1 when I am just throwing to practice.

You mention that you were throwing a Roc 50 feet farther than the #1.

Is it the #1 just a straight driver that doesn't go that far and that is the end of it or if thrown right can it be a 285 to 300 foot disc?

Thanks.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:19 pm

i peaked w/ the #1 at around 260' and that took a very hard throw...
Blake_T

Return to Equipment