Re: Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby kern9787 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:29 pm

And just realized this thread was necro bumped. :P
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Yeah, I bumped it to see what other people thought. Finding that sweet 11x TB yesterday just sparked my curiosity.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:21 pm

The teebird will never be left behind, simply because there is no other disc that can duplicate its flight path and is so consistent across all the plastics that it is made in. The PD doesn't really fly like a teebird, it has too much high speed turn and the S/Cs have too much low speed fade. For comparison, the OLF is pretty much a duplicate of the eagle-x in a faster speed, and those two discs are much much closer in flight characteristics than the PD and teebird are.

I thought I could move away from teebirds as my game progressed. Tried the PD, didn't like trying to power down on them. Just not as good as lower power shots as a beat DX Teebird. Tried the stalker, but couldn't get the same distance out of them without really throwing harder than I wanted to. Tried the OLF, and while an amazing disc, it's more of a distance driver - and the hard to find 1.1s were the best iteration to this point. I'm back on the teebird now, and I pretty much always have a champ, star, new/beat dx in the bag all the time. I will say, however, that the S-FD is really very similar to a beat DX teebird. I'll probably continue to cycle dx teebirds along with the FDs, but mainly because of the natural progression of throwing a new one so often.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby rusch_bag » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Too bad the new teebirds don't fly like the ones I was originally acquainted with.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby keltik » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 pm

How do the newest TBs fly? I've been really digging my ex/Leo combo lately and I'm considering putting a TB in the mix. Now I'm thinking about an olf after reading some comments :P
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:37 pm

victorb wrote:The teebird will never be left behind, simply because there is no other disc that can duplicate its flight path and is so consistent across all the plastics that it is made in. The PD doesn't really fly like a teebird, it has too much high speed turn and the S/Cs have too much low speed fade. For comparison, the OLF is pretty much a duplicate of the eagle-x in a faster speed, and those two discs are much much closer in flight characteristics than the PD and teebird are.

I thought I could move away from teebirds as my game progressed. Tried the PD, didn't like trying to power down on them. Just not as good as lower power shots as a beat DX Teebird. Tried the stalker, but couldn't get the same distance out of them without really throwing harder than I wanted to. Tried the OLF, and while an amazing disc, it's more of a distance driver - and the hard to find 1.1s were the best iteration to this point. I'm back on the teebird now, and I pretty much always have a champ, star, new/beat dx in the bag all the time. I will say, however, that the S-FD is really very similar to a beat DX teebird. I'll probably continue to cycle dx teebirds along with the FDs, but mainly because of the natural progression of throwing a new one so often.

The statement of the PD turning is misleading because only some PDs will break into turning inside of 3 months of main driver use unless you throw to trees and rocks on each drives. The majority of PDs even at 150 S won't turn for a long while. P is different matter. I used DGR P PD 159 and 158 as main drivers in 2010 and it took three months to make them flip from flat despite using them a lot on my rocky home course with guaranteed rock landings. Granite not some soft sand stone. Can you say bedrock? How about hard?

Broken in to turning lighter P PDs power down better than non turning ones but the 159 and 158 faded the same or a hair more than the TBs.

I have an early S 150 that won't flip in moderate steady headwind. Gusts are a different matter with the swirling of the wind. And i have a worn S 168 that flips without wind. Some use C PDs as headwind drivers. That is the range of stabilities you get from PDs. They are the Rocs or actually better of drivers in covering all flight lines from overstable to rollers with proper rotation. Coming readily in two prime plastics doesn't hurt.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Drowsy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 am

Whats a PD? =P
B!tch out + Pitch out =]
Drowsy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzzzz

Postby ladysmanfelpz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am

i had to look it up too lol. discmania freak. im new too and never tried discmania, but my buddy can rip a teebird so i might have to pick one of these up and show him whats up ha
ladysmanfelpz
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Starfire

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:33 am

Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I've been throwing newer run Echo Star Teebirds at max weight, and they fly exactly how you want Teebirds to fly. They are extremely high speed stable and have a late, but fairly strong fade. Unless I have lots of room to work with, if I'm throwing a driver, its almost always a Teebird.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Varsi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:37 pm

I usually won't go around recommending PDs to anyone. They are really great and all but if you're not in to experimenting different discs it might be hard to get what you want from them, there must be dozens of different types of PDs already. I never had any that could replace Teebirds (not that I was ever looking for such either).
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 pm

PD's are great. I'll probably always have one in my bag as a step between a flat Firebird and my stable control driver. But for me, even a seasoned S PD needs to be smashed to be useable.

So this is what is bringing me back to the Teebird. It fits better into my power level as a stable control driver, and I'm enticed with DX and E*. What really sparked my interest was my recent discovery of a beat-up 11x champ which will turn from flat AND fade.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Ryan C wrote:Unless I have lots of room to work with, if I'm throwing a driver, its almost always a Teebird.

http://shar.es/sayTS

Not sure how to make that into a proper image on here, but your post was too good to pass up for this.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Joz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Joz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:23 pm

The teebird was left behind the moment the eagle-x came out.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment