Has the Teebird been left behind?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Has the Teebird been left behind?

Postby Joz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:The teebird was left behind the moment the eagle-x came out.

Nuh uh!
Joz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby slowarm » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

I throw Star Teebirds, but that doesn't count 'cause I'm totally left behind...
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Joz wrote:Image

Haha, totally unintentional. But yeah, rereading my post, I was begging for this.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:What variations of Teebirds do you guys carry in your bag?

I have a tacky pearly glow CFR champion Teebird with a very high PLH...it begins hyzering right out of the hand at high speed, probably the most over-stable TB I've ever thrown. But it doesn't fade particularly hard. I think this is going to beat in perfectly straight with (a lot of) time, and is already becoming a favorite alternate for windy rounds.

Fightingthetide wrote:I have a used and abused 11x champ which has made me want to stop relying on beat-in S PD's for a workhorse driver.

KC Pro 11X is the best plastic ever made by any company, period, end of story. But I just lost a bidding war on ebay for a 158g 11X KC Pro TB that ran well over my budget with more than a day left. Indeed, it took me a long search and then a fight before I could grab my wife a gorgeous Pearly Green 11X KC Pro Gazelle for Xmas (with red stamp). Bottom line: that is the one of the most popular versions of the Teebird ever made, don't lose it.

Joz wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:The teebird was left behind the moment the eagle-x came out.

Nuh uh!

Yeah, the eagle-x and TB don't occupy the same slots, and were never intended to do so.

Fightingthetide wrote:PD's are great. I'll probably always have one in my bag as a step between a flat Firebird and my stable control driver. But for me, even a seasoned S PD needs to be smashed to be useable.

So this is what is bringing me back to the Teebird. It fits better into my power level as a stable control driver, and I'm enticed with DX and E*. What really sparked my interest was my recent discovery of a beat-up 11x champ which will turn from flat AND fade.

The top Innova players are throwing Teebirds a great deal, and none are throwing PDs that I've seen. The PD is a great disc, but is better-suited for lower-power players that don't have a long range with fairway drivers. If you can maneuver a TB or Eagle to 450' range, then there is truly no point in having a PD in your bag.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am

The P in PD is power... McBeth throws the PD. And there is a point to throwing PDs even for a high power player. While i wouldn't say it replaces the TB it could do just that to an Eagle. That way the TB and the PD fly to different ranges helping in distance control.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am

JR wrote:...McBeth throws the PD...

Hmmm.....

Paul McBeth wrote: (http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Disc-Golf-Team/Paul-McBeth/)
IF YOU HAD TO PLAY WITH THREE DISCS, WHAT WOULD THEY BE?
Teebird, Roc, and Aviar

IN THE BAG:
11x Teebirds
• 11x Firebirds
• Boss
• Destroyers
• Beast
• Sidewinder
• DX Rocs
• KC Aviars

Paul McBeth wrote: (http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/star-te ... cbeth.html)
Distance Drivers:
Star Roadrunner - Light weight, used for rollers only.
Champion Firebird - Must have for the wind. They go left for me no matter what; Very reliable.
Star Destroyer - I have 3 in the bag. I use them for any LONG shot I have, or they work great for sidearms.

Fairway Drivers:
Champion TeeBird - If i was to play a round with one driver this would be it. It does everything. I carry 4 in my bag for all sorts of shots. Best straight disc out there.

Mid-Range:
DX Roc - Several for all upshots

Putt & Approach:
DX Aviar - Putting

Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 am

His in the bag segments have him throwing the PD. Wiggins Jr is also throwing a PD.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

JHern wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I have a used and abused 11x champ which has made me want to stop relying on beat-in S PD's for a workhorse driver.

KC Pro 11X is the best plastic ever made by any company, period, end of story. But I just lost a bidding war on ebay for a 158g 11X KC Pro TB that ran well over my budget with more than a day left. Indeed, it took me a long search and then a fight before I could grab my wife a gorgeous Pearly Green 11X KC Pro Gazelle for Xmas (with red stamp). Bottom line: that is the one of the most popular versions of the Teebird ever made, don't lose it.

Enlighten me on different runs of plastic for the Teebird. Not sure if they made both 11x champs and 11x KC's, but I think I have an 11x champ, not KC. Whatever it is, it flies a beautiful turning line from a flat throw. I'm loving how it dodges trees in the middle of the fairway :D

How do current run Echo Star Teebirds fly? Trying to narrow down what I want as a more stable compliment between my 11x and S PD.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

JHern wrote:
Joz wrote:

Nuh uh!

Yeah, the eagle-x and TB don't occupy the same slots, and were never intended to do so.

All I'm saying is the TB is horrible compared to the eagle-x and is completely useless if you can throw an eagle-x with any competency.
Frank Delicious

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
JHern wrote:
Joz wrote:

Nuh uh!

All I'm saying is the TB is horrible compared to the eagle-x and is completely useless if you can throw an eagle-x with any competency.

Horrible? Seems subjective to me. You know this...they fly different lines...so you can't really compare them. Since EX's fade too soon compared to Teebirds, I don't use them. And since I have an S PD in the bag for wind, I don't need Eagles. It also depends on what you pair them with.

BUUUUT, I still want to hear about E* Teebirds :D
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 pm

hmmm eagles fading too soon? Sounds like someone ain't got a lot of power. Maybe step your game up FTT.
Frank Delicious

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:hmmm eagles fading too soon? Sounds like someone ain't got a lot of power. Maybe step your game up FTT.

You got me figured out, dont you :wink: I've always found Teebirds easier for distance than EX's, that's all.

Key phrase, "compared to"
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:...Not sure if they made both 11x champs and 11x KC's...

Yes, they did make both, the KC Pro says "KC Pro" on the stamp. The regular 11x champion plastic is similar to the KC Pro 11x plastic...no worries, you have a money 11x TB.

Frank Delicious wrote:...the TB is horrible compared to the eagle-x and is completely useless if you can throw an eagle-x with any competency.

I think it's similar to the quandary I often have for my bag, with the rigid flat ESP Cyclone vs 1st run pearly Z Stalker (eagle-x vs TB, respectively). Both turn just a tick out of the hand and lock into ultra-straight flights...the Stalker doesn't fade while the Cyclone hyzers out reliably. These behaviors are analogous to Innova's Eagle and Teebird (I like the Discraft pair better, owing to better plastic, though the rim width and hand feel is otherwise similar). I can throw the Cyclone on a slight anny line that will finish straight, or I can throw my Stalker with a tick of hyzer to flip flat and finish straight, so they are indeed interchangeable for straight-finishing shots. But it is nice to have both especially if the fairway is tight and/or crowded on the left (Stalker preferred) or right (Cyclone preferred). The Stalker is also nice for big hyzers and anhyzers, since it will make a nice smooth arc throughout its flight, while the Cyclone always flexes a bit in flight which forces one to take a more roundabout angle at release (which is good for other shapes of fairways). After a long time switching one or the other in my bag, I now usually keep both in the bag.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Jhern have you seen Tali open 2011 videos on Youtube channel lcgm8? C PD merlot colored was working great for Paul.

My latest Star Eagle was donated because it was so piggy, power hungry and short. Crazy disc. Way more HSS than my earlier SEX that is now broken in and 166 vs the 175 of the newer one. Still the 166 was definitely way less beefy than the weight difference would have you believe. More like a Firebird than an Eagle.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Eagles suck, throw a Striker.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext