millenium quasar?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: millenium quasar?

Postby dgdave » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 pm

My destroyers were longer all day, especially into the wind.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Threw a quasar in the wind a bunch today and really liked it. It actually falls inbetween my super stable destroyer and my distance destroyer. Not a bad place.

For reference mine is a 172, purple/pink I got from ZJ.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby zj1002 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 pm

That turned out to be a sweet SS pack looking at your bag now
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 pm

yeah two in the bag (the astra wasn't because of the super winds today) and the 150 QOLF is in the bag tomorrow b/c I thumb it on like 3 holes at the course I'm playing tomorrow.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby vto » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 am

I just scored a dark purple production run Quasar from our winter league, and of course had to check the PLH against my hog stable orange first runs:
Interestingly there is not much difference in the dominess, as the purple production one also has a nice moderate dome (not huge dome, but definitely not flat), but the parting line as the picture shows differs quite significantly. Didn't get to throw it yet (and can't really get a proper opinion until the snows melt and I can throw with proper footing and not wearing multiple layers of clothing), but I hope this is a great stable distance disc that I can use in less than hurricane winds. I've been kind of wishing for something between my Z Nukes that are understable, and first run Quasars which are really overstable, and this could be it.
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby Mike C » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Bumping this with some Quasar footage. Kind of windy so I was playing conservative hyzers. Fun watching these fly, they go pretty far.

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Pwingles » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 pm

i got a FR sparkle quasar, 175, purple a month ago, i threw it for a few rounds and ill be honest, I dont see what all the fuss is about. In anything but a raging headwind, it doesnt fly much different from a boss, maybe a touch less nose angle sensitive.

and in the raging head winds my force was more consistent and reliable. in cross winds was impressed how well it handled them, the day i was testing it out there were 15 mph constant wind and 35 mph gusts according to weather channel app. and it did as well as any disc was going to do, that said in the cross winds it wasnt much longer than the force for me.

I dont throw a million miles or anything but on golf lines i can throw 380-400 pretty regularly with my PD's for reference, Im not certain its too much disc for me or anything, maybe i just need more time with it but at this moment it doesnt fit my game or any need i have
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Mike C » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 am

Never threw the Boss so for all I know the Boss could be better. I just know the Quasar was the first speed 13 disc that seemed to work well for me,t hat's why I like it so much. Tried other fast discs over the past year or two and none lasted in my bag more than a month or two...Destroyers multiple times, Orcs, Wraiths, a couple Z Nukes etc. Would like to try some of the high speed Legacy Discs driver some time but I'm not pressed on it since these are treating me well.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 am

Id like to try some legacy deivers out too but from what i hear if youre looking for this type of flight you need this specific plastic and weight and color and blah blah i cant keep up with it. I realize its similar with other manufacturers but it seems to be more so at this point with them, in time im sure the new small company-ishness will go away and consistency will be easier for them.

Fwiw i wasnt meaning the boss is better, im just not seeing the subtle differences between the 2 yet
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Roc Lover wrote:i got a FR sparkle quasar, 175, purple a month ago, i threw it for a few rounds and ill be honest, I dont see what all the fuss is about. In anything but a raging headwind, it doesnt fly much different from a boss, maybe a touch less nose angle sensitive.

and in the raging head winds my force was more consistent and reliable. in cross winds was impressed how well it handled them, the day i was testing it out there were 15 mph constant wind and 35 mph gusts according to weather channel app. and it did as well as any disc was going to do, that said in the cross winds it wasnt much longer than the force for me.

I dont throw a million miles or anything but on golf lines i can throw 380-400 pretty regularly with my PD's for reference, Im not certain its too much disc for me or anything, maybe i just need more time with it but at this moment it doesnt fit my game or any need i have

I don't outright disagree with anything in your post, yet the Quasar is a staple in my bag...I guess it's all about expectations. Personally, I really like the Boss, it just changes character so quickly if it hits a little too much headwind. A fairly stable to overstable Boss can flip like a Valk or an Orc for me somewhere in between a 10-20mph headwind...In less wind than that I think it is Innova's finest max D mold. The Quasar shares most of it's positive qualities(with a little less glide imo), yet is less nose angle sensitive, less likely to come up and over from a hyzer release, and much more reliable in it's turn and fade behavior.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare a disc you are testing against a trusted favorite in unusually strong headwinds. Confidence is a big part of success in strong wind as is knowing your discs. It would be hard to hit it right with any new disc...I think the Force flies more like a Teebird in the wind, being more HSS and less LSS. The Quasar is more like an Eagle, easier to turn over and still get to fade, or flip up from hyzer and cruise straight before biting hard. In that slot, I prefer the Quasar's line and faster speed.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Previous

Return to Equipment