Fall Flight Chart Update

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fall Flight Chart Update

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am

Got the new discs thrown this weekend for the flight chart update.

RNG / HSS / LSS / PWR

Grabboid
1.5 / +0.5 / +3 / 1

Relic
1.5 / -1 / +2 / 1

Axis
3 / -1 / +2 / 2

Trak
5 / -1 / +2 / 5

TeeDevil
5.5 / -1.5 / +3 / 6

Sword
5 / -1.5 / +3 / 5

Bolt
5.5 / -2 / +3 / 5

Nuke OS
5 / 0 / +4.5 / 6

Quasar
5.5 / -0.5 / +3.5 / 6

Astra
5.5 / -2 / +3 / 5

Archon
5.5 / -2 / +3 / 5

Slayer
5.5 / -2 / +3 / 6

Rampage
5.5 / -0.5 / +3.5 / 6
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Fall Flight Chart Update

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 am

Those look pretty spot on from my experience as well. Good work Blake.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:54 am

So the Trak isn't a great low power driver?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks for the feedback. I hit a few limitations with my rounding on a couple of the discs. e.g. the Astra requires more power than the Archon, but it would be more like a PWR 5.5 than a 6. The Quasar is a touch less stable than a Boss, but more stable than the discs rated -1 +3.5 and it's closer to a Boss than the others.

Frank:
The Trak I was on the fence on its power rating. these ratings aren't 100% final yet, but will be as of tonight so I posted it for some feedback. We weren't getting any turn on throws under 325' on the Trak and I felt it was deceptively fast... (fast penetration with weak glide, sort of the like the ascent). On shorter throws it was more like a 0 +2.5 (more like +3 on throws under 250') but above 325' it was turning every time. I can still drop the power rating down, but I'm not sure yet. Was going to make the final call later.
Blake_T

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 am

I'm curious how the Sword ended up with a lower range than the Archon and Teedevil. It definitely goes as far or farther for me. However, I've tested a half dozen, and I could see the flatter ones being shorter.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:23 am

Blake_T wrote:Frank:
The Trak I was on the fence on its power rating. these ratings aren't 100% final yet, but will be as of tonight so I posted it for some feedback. We weren't getting any turn on throws under 325' on the Trak and I felt it was deceptively fast... (fast penetration with weak glide, sort of the like the ascent). On shorter throws it was more like a 0 +2.5 (more like +3 on throws under 250') but above 325' it was turning every time. I can still drop the power rating down, but I'm not sure yet. Was going to make the final call later.

I can see what you are talking about. I was wondering b/c it does seem to be right on the lower end of power 5 or the high end of power 4. It def doesn't turn that much on shots around 300' though as I was just re-messing around with the disc the other day throwing that shot.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Monocacy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 am

Hey, Blake, thanks as always for the updates.

Do you plan to revise any of the existing ratings, and if so, are you going to re-test the Ion? I never threw any of the older Ions, but the current runs with the clean overmold and smooth underside seem closer to Warlocks / Wizards than Magics.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 am

Any one of those get the honorable mention as most impressive new disc? (like the Boatman from the last update)
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 am

Grading discs is a tough job. Having discs that are just a touch different or are inbetween some of the ratings is a judgement call. I think you've done a great job! Thanks for this time consuming effort.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby himynameismatt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Does this mean an update for the Android app as well? It's been super handy when trying to pick out new plastic.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm curious how the Sword ended up with a lower range than the Archon and Teedevil. It definitely goes as far or farther for me. However, I've tested a half dozen, and I could see the flatter ones being shorter.

We had 4 swords, 2 VIP and 2 Tourney. mix of shapes.

they just weren't getting a lot of carry... SL/Orc type of range. the ones we had were definitely shorter than a wraith/surge, which are the base line for rng 5.5

I can see what you are talking about. I was wondering b/c it does seem to be right on the lower end of power 5 or the high end of power 4. It def doesn't turn that much on shots around 300' though as I was just re-messing around with the disc the other day throwing that shot.

I tend to round down on PWR unless there's a severe change in stability below a critical range. I will probably end up rounding the trak down to a 4, which is what I have the ascent rated at.

Do you plan to revise any of the existing ratings, and if so, are you going to re-test the Ion? I never threw any of the older Ions, but the current runs with the clean overmold and smooth underside seem closer to Warlocks / Wizards than Magics.

I will probably try to take some of the newer ones out. they have already been averaged once. the early run soft were rated originally and then when the medium came out we averaged the med and soft to get the current rating. if the newer ones are more stable i'll try to take some out next spring.

Does this mean an update for the Android app as well? It's been super handy when trying to pick out new plastic.

probably.

Any one of those get the honorable mention as most impressive new disc? (like the Boatman from the last update)

not really. i wasn't very impressed with this batch. the slayer was the fastest of the bunch. the slayer and bolt were the longest of the bunch.
Blake_T

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Blake_T wrote:

they just weren't getting a lot of carry... SL/Orc type of range. the ones we had were definitely shorter than a wraith/surge, which are the base line for rng 5.5
Funny, from what I've seen they're firmly in the Destroyer category when it comes to distance. Though I can only comment on two VIPs and one TP. My DD's (~Wraiths) definitely fly shorter than my Swords.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:27 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Blake_T wrote:

Funny, from what I've seen they're firmly in the Destroyer category when it comes to distance. Though I can only comment on two VIPs and one TP. My DD's (~Wraiths) definitely fly shorter than my Swords.

Those are my results as well. I deflash everything though, and most the Swords have pretty major flash. Perhaps that's the culprit... The specs alone suggest performance much closer to the Destroyer than the Orc/SL.
discspeed

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Those are my results as well. I deflash everything though, and most the Swords have pretty major flash. Perhaps that's the culprit... The specs alone suggest performance much closer to the Destroyer than the Orc/SL.

the speed rating on l64 and ws discs tends to be about 2 points higher than what innova's discs are rated at.

i may bump it to a 5.5 but i don't really care much on it. i thought it was just barely longer than a striker based upon the ones we threw. when i demo with dan we tend not to gauge things at the extreme ends of their ranges (when determining their RNG rating). it's more of a "how far does it go when you throw it X hard compared to discs Y and Z thrown X hard?"
when he tried to throw em 450'+ they got squirrely and unpredictable. when he tried to throw em 400' they were definitely shorter than a destroyer with the same effort.

launch velocity has a ton to do with it.

i will say that i consciously make an effort to avoid rating something with a given range just because it's new and supposedly fast.
Blake_T

Postby discspeed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm

Blake_T wrote:

the speed rating on l64 and ws discs tends to be about 2 points higher than what innova's discs are rated at.

i may bump it to a 5.5 but i don't really care much on it. i thought it was just barely longer than a striker based upon the ones we threw. when i demo with dan we tend not to gauge things at the extreme ends of their ranges (when determining their RNG rating). it's more of a "how far does it go when you throw it X hard compared to discs Y and Z thrown X hard?"
when he tried to throw em 450'+ they got squirrely and unpredictable. when he tried to throw em 400' they were definitely shorter than a destroyer with the same effort.

launch velocity has a ton to do with it.

i will say that i consciously make an effort to avoid rating something with a given range just because it's new and supposedly fast.

I couldn't give 2 shits about manufacturer's speed ratings...I was referring to the PDGA Approved Discs and Targets specifications. Both the Sword and Destroyer have rim widths of 2.2cm and have pretty similar specs all around. I do realize we're debating .5 of range, so whichever way you go is good with me...I've just been using the Sword as my distance driver for a few months now and I definitely feel it's closer to a Destroyer than any other disc I've thrown, and I have a lot of experience with Wraiths/Destroyers/Orcs.

I also think Dan may have more trouble throwing a disc "only" 400'-450', where that is pretty much a full throw for me... :lol:
discspeed

Next

Return to Equipment