Avenger props

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Avenger props

Postby sunspot » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:13 pm

For me, the Avenger:

1) Is similar to an OLF, but doesn't start out as stable (in my experience).

2) Flies like a faster Eagle.

3) Is what I wanted the PPD to be (X plastic).

4) Is great at working lines when beat.

5) Can handle decent head-winds.

6) Is predictable.

7) Is good for reliable distance.

8 ) Available in every plastic except magical plastic that is forged by elves.

I see a lot of love for other speed 9 discs but not enough props for the Avenger. Anybody else feel the same?
Last edited by sunspot on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: Avenger props.

Postby keltik » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 pm

I do! I do!

the sad part is most of the courses around here are too short for me to throw an Avey. but yes everything you have said is 100% correct. I miss my 2005 Am Worlds X Avey. a friend of mine has it but he lives in Raleigh and I'm too lazy to ask him to mail it to me.

the only negative I might add is that some of the lighter weight X models can be squirrel-tastic.

I have yet to try the Pro-D or FLX models. anyone?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby sunspot » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:35 pm

keltik wrote:I do! I do!

the sad part is most of the courses around here are too short for me to throw an Avey. but yes everything you have said is 100% correct. I miss my 2005 Am Worlds X Avey. a friend of mine has it but he lives in Raleigh and I'm too lazy to ask him to mail it to me.

the only negative I might add is that some of the lighter weight X models can be squirrel-tastic.

I have yet to try the Pro-D or FLX models. anyone?

As far as the base plastic goes, I remember Skabob saying that they are flippy. Who knows, it may be better than what I expect. I'm kind of hoping that the base plastic will be similar to a new DX valk. If anything, they can be thrown when water is in play.

I'm imagine the FLX is pigalicious.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby colombo117 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:03 am

Avengers in X and Z plastic are great. Right now I am throwing teebirds far and with accuracy, but reading this makes me want to return to throwing Avengers. They can be powered down and like you said, are versatile on different lines. If I threw an all discraft bag Avengers and Preds would be my top thrown drivers.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby turso » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:55 am

I love the grip of the avenger, only reason I didn't put in my bag is the fact that I lost my first and only avenger(x) after only few throws. It got returned to me over a year later though, and now I'm committed to strikers. It is a truly lovely disc though.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby sunspot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm

colombo117 wrote:Avengers in X and Z plastic are great. Right now I am throwing teebirds far and with accuracy, but reading this makes me want to return to throwing Avengers. They can be powered down and like you said, are versatile on different lines. If I threw an all discraft bag Avengers and Preds would be my top thrown drivers.

I seriously debated between the T-birds and Avengers. I'm able to put them both out around 400 ft. with the TB being a little bit longer (5 or so ft.) on average. The reasons why that I decided to stick with the Avengers are listed above. As it beats in, a dx TB is not going to hyzer-flip as well as the Avenger since the TB is a true stable mold. The Avenger will handle wind better and it's more versatile. I like the fact that the TB is a smaller rim, but I think the Avenger's advantages over the TB outweigh the disadvantages.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 am

keltik wrote:I have yet to try the Pro-D or FLX models. anyone?
I have a really flat D Avenger that's really overstable with no glide. It just doesn't want to go anywhere. I don't know how it beat in because I hated throwing it so much I gave up on it. I'm guessing much of that has to do with how flat it is.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby rKp » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 am

I love my Avengers for all the reasons you guys have already mentioned. Nice to see the Avenger getting some props on this board. Just as good (if not better) than the OLF and PD.
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby Hyzerline49 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:12 am

i really like the older stamped z avengers. they seem to have more glide than the newer circle stamped ones. just cant get rid of my teebirds and tl's right now. gonna audition them again in the spring.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm

the two at the top are A-sses but I'd thought it would be nice to include them too.

I recently lost a white ND Avey. It was a bit squirrely so I'm not too upset. The tourney stamp X's are domey and have a lower PLH. haven't thrown them much but I got plans for them.

the Z AvengeRs are the best. the new Z AVENGERS are okay. they can be mildly flippier but still reliable.

The ESPs are BEEFY.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby money 21 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 pm

anybody throw the 150 class one's?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby SirRaph » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:57 am

I had Avengers in my bag for a few months. I really like them. The only problem is that I found a lot of overlap between new/slightly worn Avengers and slightly worn/beat Preds. And as much as I like Avengers, they'll never knock Preds out of my bag.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby sunspot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 am

SirRaph wrote:I had Avengers in my bag for a few months. I really like them. The only problem is that I found a lot of overlap between new/slightly worn Avengers and slightly worn/beat Preds. And as much as I like Avengers, they'll never knock Preds out of my bag.

Is there overlap, yes and no. Yes, because you will find a beefy Avenger that can function as a Pred and a LPL Pred that will function more like a Avenger. No, because the Pred is a true overstable mold whereas the Avenger is a mod-overstable mold.

I carry both, but if a I eliminated one mold it would be the Pred. I could carry a beefier Aveng and power down on a Force to cover Pred like shots. Two more reasons why I might eliminate take the Pred out is that the Aveng comes in different plastics and it's better at shaping lines out of the box. It would take a little bit for a Pred to get to a point to work more lines. It doesn't take as long for a X Avenger.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Avenger props

Postby sunspot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:38 am

keltik, I'm not real crazy about tye-dye but that pink and yellow is nice.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:03 am

sunspot wrote:I carry both, but if a I eliminated one mold it would be the Pred. I could carry a beefier Aveng and power down on a Force to cover Pred like shots. Two more reasons why I might eliminate take the Pred out is that the Aveng comes in different plastics and it's better at shaping lines out of the box. It would take a little bit for a Pred to get to a point to work more lines. It doesn't take as long for a X Avenger.

This is why I dropped the pred for the xXx. I have beefy Z Avengers and Z Forces that can cover wind duties etc. and the xXx does what it does.

sunspot wrote:keltik, I'm not real crazy about tye-dye but that pink and yellow is nice.

:D
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Next

Return to Equipment