Discmania (FD) Jackal

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania (FD) Jackal

Postby linkinparkervii » Wed May 09, 2012 11:55 am

plex wrote:i dont like my FD, it always turns and goes way right if i throw it with any power at all.. this happened on a 280' hole... the disc just took a turn and wouldnt come back :( i almost lost it..

Sounds like form issue
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby Segovia » Wed May 09, 2012 11:57 am

I have two production S-FDs I've been throwing for a few weeks now. They are both 175g.

They are both AWESOME.

My experience with the FD has been nothing but positive so far. Thrown hard, I can get them to fly out to about 400' or so pretty consitantly. Obviously there is some turn, but it's really controllable. It works super well for long, slow turnovers as well.

I'm excited to see what these do when they get a bit broken in. They already have insane glide. Hopefully they'll allow me to drop some beat TL's from my bag.

Overall I've been super impressed.
Ion - Fuse - Axis - Roc - Teebird - Predator - PD - Destroyer
Segovia
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 09, 2012 12:47 pm

plex wrote:i dont like my FD, it always turns and goes way right if i throw it with any power at all.. this happened on a 280' hole... the disc just took a turn and wouldnt come back :( i almost lost it..
Hmm, my S-FD's can easily handle 350'+ with just a shallow hyzer. You might have gotten a lemon, or could be a form issue.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby victorb » Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 pm

From everything I'm reading, the FD doesn't look very dissimilar to a leopard. What exactly am I missing about the details that would make me want one of these over a star/pro/champ leopard? I'm still hunting for a slightly understable disc to compliment my teebirds - the TD is good at what it does but I have to throw it too hard for finesse shots.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm

victorb wrote:From everything I'm reading, the FD doesn't look very dissimilar to a leopard. What exactly am I missing about the details that would make me want one of these over a star/pro/champ leopard? I'm still hunting for a slightly understable disc to compliment my teebirds - the TD is good at what it does but I have to throw it too hard for finesse shots.
It's quite a bit faster than a Leo for starters.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:29 pm

victorb wrote:From everything I'm reading, the FD doesn't look very dissimilar to a leopard. What exactly am I missing about the details that would make me want one of these over a star/pro/champ leopard? I'm still hunting for a slightly understable disc to compliment my teebirds - the TD is good at what it does but I have to throw it too hard for finesse shots.

Because the FD fades too much for that. GL River may be too much as well but it is straighter and despite being faster and more of a distance driver the River powers down well. Better than the S FD i have.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Hmm, my S-FD's can easily handle 350'+ with just a shallow hyzer. You might have gotten a lemon, or could be a form issue.

I haven't thrown mine with good traction yet and mine flipped each time quite much but it also faded harder than i like a FW to do for tunnel work. So more height may help with initial hyzer angle. I think i threw farther than jubuttib did but i have no reliable distance measurements at the place i threw mine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed May 09, 2012 7:53 pm

JR wrote:

Because the FD fades too much for that. GL River may be too much as well but it is straighter and despite being faster and more of a distance driver the River powers down well. Better than the S FD i have.

Victorb - I stuck with Leo's for low-power shots and fairway stuff. Simply put, FD might be too fast for low-power shots (at my power range, <300' on the fairway), Rivers might be useless in anything but a tailwind, and Leo's are right in my power range AND can the stable ones can hold a line in very light winds. Hope that helps.

Shoot...if it aint broke, dont fix it.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Thu May 10, 2012 2:39 am

I've thought about having a Leo in my bag, but frankly the gap between it and the PD/TD is too long and the gap between it and the MD2 is too short. The FD fits better into that gap.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby maskedavenger » Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 am

You hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking of slimming my bag down to P1 MD2(1 understable, 1 stable) FD PD (1 straight, 1 overstable). Don't really need anything else.
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu May 10, 2012 7:43 am

maskedavenger wrote:You hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking of slimming my bag down to P1 MD2(1 understable, 1 stable) FD PD (1 straight, 1 overstable). Don't really need anything else.

That would work great, if your straight PD is good for max D. I would use P2's (preference), but more importantly, I would add another putter for drives/approaches.

jubuttib wrote:I've thought about having a Leo in my bag, but frankly the gap between it and the PD/TD is too long and the gap between it and the MD2 is too short. The FD fits better into that gap.

How much power does an FD need to be useful? By useful I mean that it doesn't fade off it's line too soon.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 am

I can toss 200-250 or so flat.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby jubuttib » Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 am

Fightingthetide wrote:
jubuttib wrote:I've thought about having a Leo in my bag, but frankly the gap between it and the PD/TD is too long and the gap between it and the MD2 is too short. The FD fits better into that gap.
How much power does an FD need to be useful? By useful I mean that it doesn't fade off it's line too soon.
I haven't played around with it a lot yet, but from what I've seen I can power down on it to under 300' and it still won't fade too much. Especially the D-lines.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby victorb » Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 am

dgdave wrote:I can toss 200-250 or so flat.

so you can finesse it like a leopard for low straight shots, and power it up for longer turnovers than a leo? It's tough to figure out how this disc would fit without having access to throw one right now (I don't want to buy 3-4 then not like them)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Thu May 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Pretty much
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General