Discmania (FD) Jackal

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania (FD) Jackal

Postby Timko » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:09 pm

When thrown on a lower line, I have a noticeable difference between my midranges and drivers. Also, I have to throw midranges a bit harder to start approaching driver distance.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby dehaas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Timko wrote:When thrown on a lower line, I have a noticeable difference between my midranges and drivers. Also, I have to throw midranges a bit harder to start approaching driver distance.

I agree totally. In a wide open field I might only get 20-30 feet of extra distance from throwing a leopard over a buzzz. But throwing a golf shot where I might be limited by height, or have a wind, or other variables it makes more sense to throw a fairway driver. If you had a consistent throw and took stacks of discs in various speed ratings I'm guessing the distance between a speed 9 and a 10 or whatever would be very minimal. Somebody who can throw a destroyer 400 feet legit can probably throw a teebird at least 350 feet. So that 50 feet of distance from going from a speed 7 to speed 12 isn't very noticeable when you jump up a notch or 2 at a time in speed.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby JR » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

The longest Sidewinder (speed 9) vs Beast (10) throws in field practice were about 13' apart for me this season.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Loop wrote:I´ve been wondering.

Now don´t get me wrong I'm as excited as the next guy of the Jackal. But I´m kinda failing to see the point of this disc...probably because Í´m a noob.
Some people say Fairways are speed 9-10 these days, and some of the 'normal' fairways are in this speed category, i.e. the Teebird, too. So this would make discs like PD, TD, Valkyrie, SOLF...and so on, Fairway Drivers. And thats cool, that seems legit.

My question is, whats the point of a real speed 7 driver, when you can achieve same distances with midranges? Or almost even with some putters...
Now I can understand slow drivers like the Banshee, very stable with a strong dependable fade. But what possible use could a slightly understable real speed 7 fairway driver have?
Or do most of the people have a huge gap between their midranges and i.e. Teebirds, PDs?
I used to throw the TL a lot, but like Jubuttib, I found it pretty useless when I noticed that my C-MD2s flew only a fraction shorter with half of the fade.

I might be really wrong with all this, I usually am...but I'm just curious.

Shaping lines to all the distances you can achieve is necessary to tackle every condition you're gonna encounter. Throwing under tree limbs with low ceiling needing to fly anny possibly flex to flat, when a mid would dive to the ground short etc. And a speed 9 would fade when powered down or fly too far on powered throws. You need something in your bag, that is going to keep turning all the way and another disc that flexes out to flat and possibly a third disc that flexes out and fades out to every distance. MD2 won't be enough in every situation out to the distance you can get it annied.

There is also conservation of strength bonus in not throwing 100 % each time and speed 7 discs power down to controllable, repeatable accurate about 80 % power way better than most 9s and 10s, when you need other lines than straight with fade. Added accuracy over a mid punched at 100 % each time is a good thing and with some FW drivers you also gain more wind neutrality to shield against gusts.

There is probably more, that could be said in favor of speed 6-7 discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:49 pm

For most of us non-touring hobbyists the gradation of speeds in our bags is dictated by the types of courses and holes we play regularly. For example, I don't carry my slow drivers (JLS/QJLS) or my Nukes on any of the 3-4 courses I play regularly. I have TD/PDs that power down very well when I need them, but if I had a bunch of holes to play where I was powering those down I would probably bring my QJ. My point is that most of us are not going to carry a full range of stabilities at 5-7 different speeds, despite the fact that they would be needed to have the perfect disc for every possible shot.

I've got high hopes that the FD could be more useful to me that the current choices of fairway drivers on the market.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby warobert » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:05 pm

To be honest, I just want a nice neutral to under stable speed 7-9 disc so I don't have to beet leopards into perfection or hunt for nice roadrunners. I'm thinking that this is the slot that discmania was trying to fill with this disc so I am going to try some.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:17 pm

a little less speculation.

i'll report back saturday or sunday ;)
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby himynameismatt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 pm

MOAR SPECULATION...

Everyone wants or is expecting a Leopard type fairway driveway, stable-slightly understable. I'm speculating that this disc is going to be surprisingly stable-slightly overstable. Basically a slower S-Line FR PD. Or a slightly more stable, just half a notch faster Teebird. Straight and predictable. BONUS SPECULATION: The understable Fairway will be released this spring as the FD2.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:47 pm

That would be pretty dumb of discmania to release that style disc with it being so close to the PD which powers down great.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby himynameismatt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:That would be pretty dumb of discmania to release that style disc with it being so close to the PD which powers down great.

You're right it would it's sort of a pessimistic prediction. My thinking is most of the Discmania line starts out pretty neutral to overstable, and beat into great understable discs. I can def see the FD being the same way.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby x-out » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm

out of the box this thing flew great! i only need a few throws with it to fully understand it.

it flies exactly like my stable/understable roc. FYI that roc is what i use for dead straight and right turning shots RHBH. this disc has AMAZING glide! the rim is small like a leopard, but don't let the "speed" fool you. it is as long as my CH eagle and C-PD.

these numbers are just my opinion.

Speed: small rim width (probably speed 6) actual speed when combined with the glide is like a 7.
Turn: -1/-1.5 if thrown flat you get a nice gradual long turn. you can hyzer flip it, throw it flat, or turn it over. this disc felt right at home in my bag immediately.
Glide: soooo much glide. i would compare it to RR or roc like glide.
Fade: if i had to give it a number, it would be 1. the fade is very minimal. when thrown flat and you achieve turn, the disc barely fights back at all and exhibits minimal fade. it fades like a roc that has been seasoned and the LSS has been beaten out of it.

Summary: the more i threw the disc the more i loved it. i immediately feel in love with the flight characteristics because of the Roc-like flight. this disc is super versatile. it can hit hyzer lines, hyzer flips, long turnovers, and hold a turnover into the ground. it was everything i always wanted a leopard or gazelle to be, but wasn't.

Drivers in the Bag: CH-RR, S-DS, C-PD2, CH-EX, C-PD, S-FD.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby warobert » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm

What weight is yours and how far do you throw a roc?
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Booter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Wow the fd sounds promising. Sounds like a better stalker...

Or a qjls lol. Welp looks like its gonnabe a battle for sure between my qjls n this fd. Thanks for the info xout

Hows it fly on low lines?
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby maskedavenger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 am

dear god, x-out... that is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I do need a go-between to fill out the spot going up from MD2 to CD/PD... I'll probably get one on the lighter side, so that it does what I need it to with less power. That glide sure sounds good! Until then I'll tinker with a just purchased 167g CH TL+ that I was planning for this role. Just too bad were expecting first snow here... :x
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby x-out » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:12 am

warobert wrote:What weight is yours and how far do you throw a roc?

fd=175g

roc distance 360-380ft
x-out
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment