What new disc would you like to see from MVP?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What new disc would you like to see from MVP?

Postby juju » Tue May 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Roc Lover wrote:Wouldnt a truly overatable mold be almost impossible to do with "gyro" tech?

MVP could do it. :D
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Roc Lover wrote:Wouldnt a truly overatable mold be almost impossible to do with "gyro" tech?
Not really, the First Run Vectors are pretty darn overstable, and the First Run IONs are pretty darn understable once they lose the flash. The gyro won't remove their basic characteristics, it just tends to curb them a bit, making them show up more gradually.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby kern9787 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:21 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Not really, the First Run Vectors are pretty darn overstable, and the First Run IONs are pretty darn understable once they lose the flash. The gyro won't remove their basic characteristics, it just tends to curb them a bit, making them show up more gradually.

This. There's two (general) components to having a good, overstable driver. High speed stability, which the gyro would only help, as you want a disc that is very resistant to high speed turn. Low speed stability, or fade, would be the trickier component. Theoretically, this is where the gyroscopic properties would hurt. I don't see this being an issue, as your predator type discs typically have a relatively weak fade that is very forward dominant. If you want the firebird type fade, where the disc slows down rapidly and "dumps," the most obvious way to achieve that is to put in nose spacers, which make the disc less aerodynamic, making it slow down more, which causes it to fade sooner, and more rapidly. The gyro will lessen the effect to an extent, but I don't see it dramatically hurting the fade of an overstable disc.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pwingles » Fri May 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Isnt the point of the gyro to produce stable flight when it reaches its speed and maintain it longer? Would this not be counter productive in trying to make a predator/firebird type disc?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Roc Lover wrote:Isnt the point of the gyro to produce stable flight when it reaches its speed and maintain it longer? Would this not be counter productive in trying to make a predator/firebird type disc?
It will curb a sudden dump fade, but not prevent a C-curve flight. It is not the best choice for making certain types of discs though, definitely. The more sudden you need the turn or fade to be the more the Gyro™ will hurt it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby kern9787 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Which is why I wouldn't have any issues with it as I prefer predators to begin with. I don't count on a huge, sudden fade. I'm all about having good HSS, which the gyro will help.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 2:48 pm

kern9787 wrote:Which is why I wouldn't have any issues with it as I prefer predators to begin with. I don't count on a huge, sudden fade. I'm all about having good HSS, which the gyro will help.
I thought the Predator (at least the more overstable ones) had a pretty sudden fade at the end, flying more on a J-curve?
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby kern9787 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:14 pm

jubuttib wrote:
kern9787 wrote:Which is why I wouldn't have any issues with it as I prefer predators to begin with. I don't count on a huge, sudden fade. I'm all about having good HSS, which the gyro will help.
I thought the Predator (at least the more overstable ones) had a pretty sudden fade at the end, flying more on a J-curve?

I don't want to make it sound like they don't fade, because they do. But they don't dump for me at any point, except for one really high PLH Z pred I have. Of course, when I back off of them some, I see more of what I would call a J fade. On shots 380-400', mine finish predominantly forward, while still getting a reliable fade at the end.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Equipment