Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Postby veganray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:12 am

GripEnemyS2K wrote:Anybody throw the Blizzard Ape here?

Yes. Ridiculously overstable at 150g. Somewhat useful for thumbers/tommies (though I find a slower OS disc provides max D for these throws) or trick/skip shots, but not too much else (for me).
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

So I got some more throws with the 3 blizzard discs I have in some calm and slight wind conditions today at lunch. The 136 boss is a really fun disc to throw and after throwing it alongside a new r-pro boss I have, I would say it throws very similar to the r-pro boss. It needs some height and calm conditions to perform to it's maximum ability. The 152 boss and 152 destroyer performed really similar to each other with the destroyer being a bit more stable. The boss liked to do a full S before coming out of it's flight whereas the destroyer would pull out of the S. Right now I am liking the bosses more than the destroyer for max D but the destroyer performs better on golf lines.

What does have me interested is to see how the bosses beat in. The destroyer has hardly any flash but both bosses have a decent amount of flash on them and I am worried they will become uber-flippy once they lose that flashing.

one last thing, if you have a clean flick, you can flick the shit out of these. If you don't have a clean flick, you will be throwing a lot of forehand rollers.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

What's your power threshold Vegan?
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby veganray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 pm

I throw exclusively 150g for drivers. Average controlled golf drive ~300 (with a gummy 11x Teebird), average full-distance huck ~340 (with a flattop JO R-Pro Boss, flattop JO R-Pro Katana, or F2 Blizzard Wraith), max officially (WFDF) measured flat-ground D 399 (VA States 2006 with a hot-off-the-presses flattop JO DX TeeRex).
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:What does have me interested is to see how the bosses beat in. The destroyer has hardly any flash but both bosses have a decent amount of flash on them and I am worried they will become uber-flippy once they lose that flashing.

one last thing, if you have a clean flick, you can flick the shit out of these. If you don't have a clean flick, you will be throwing a lot of forehand rollers.

If yours beat in and are too flippy PM me. :mrgreen: I'm curious to see how "clean" my flick is. As far as bubbles, my 152 Boss is very uniformed. As the bubbles get close to the center there are a lot of them and they are very small. As they get out toward the rim the bubbles are slightly bigger but there are less of them. I'm hoping that means there is more weight out on the rim so there will be better gyroscopic flight. Meaning long-ass throws. :lol:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

I got to throw my 152 Blizzard Boss today. I compared it to a seasoned 162 1.2 QOLF and a seasoned 170 Quasar. With a 20 mph tailwind the Quasar was the beefiest with the B-Boss being just a bit more stable than the QOLF. Throwing into that headwind the Quasar was still the beefiest but the QOLF was just a touch less stable than the Quasar but the B-Boss flipped some making if more understable than the others.

I can't wait for a 150 Blizzard Quasar to come out now! 8)
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:I can't wait for a 150 Blizzard Quasar to come out now! 8)

That one will be on my radar.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby upchuck1383 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:12 pm

I tried my 133 Katana, Wraith and Destroyer today. For me they were a dissapointment. The Katana was virtually impossible from turning into a BH roller. The wraith had some nice moments when thrown at significant hyzer and lower lines. The destroyer was really interesting. It would flip up fast, turn over, and finish with a ton of low speed fade. I just donated them to a random guy in hopes he has better luck. I did notice that most of you have been messing around with the 150g weights. I am going to get a 150g wraith and see if that works any better for me. I just figured I would start at the baseline and work my way up. Winds were pretty light overall, and I was fairly sheltered in the fairways. My $.02.
upchuck1383
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 pm

I tried to resist, but seeing how they cost exactly the same as regular plastic (well, Star plastic price, but still), I just had to get a Boss and a Destroyer in the 130-139 range. I was really surprised by the pricing, seeing how they sell x-outs and factory seconds at higher prices (we don't really get those here so they're sort of "collectibles")... Eagerly awaiting their arrival.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Frisbeepoint has 5 molds in their Innova F2 lineup atm. No Blizzards there yet.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I finally grabbed some of these to test out. Looking through all the stacks I observed much variability in all the Blizzard discs...Not only variation in where the bubbles were at, but other weird lines and marks that are usually seen on X-outs. On some of the discs the bubbles are at the surface creating a strange texture. So I was very picky when choosing a couple to try (buying these online has to be hard). I was looking for discs with bubbles in the flightplates. As far as removing weight from the disc, I'd rather give it up on the flightplate than the rim as the disc will be more gyroscopic.

I focused on Bosses and Destroyers because I'm not a fan of the Katana and the reviews of the Wraiths have not peaked my interest. I ended up grabbing a 138 Boss with a high PLH, a 154 Boss with a low PLH, and a 154 Destroyer (only one I could find without weird lines or bubbles at the surface).

I didn't get to throw them much, and wind conditions were less than ideal (5mph blowing across the field I was throwing in). I was really impressed by the Bosses...My first thought was that I'd never gotten a full weight Boss up to speed, because my god these things are fast. They seriously made the Destroyer look 2-3 steps slower. The 138 is super nice and slightly more stable than the 154, but they were fairly similar. At first I thought I'd actually have to baby these/give hyzer, but boy was I wrong. I was soon ripping them full power and they were taking it. The mild wind didn't seem to mess with them much. I was getting good D on similar lines as my heavy discs. Toward the end of my time I started throwing them high and turned and then I started really seeing increased distance. Unfortunately it was getting dark and I could not continue.

Overall I'm very impressed with these discs so far. This Blizzard process is far from perfected at this point, but it has some serious potential. I could see myself using these Bosses on the course in certain situations for max D. Kudos Innova, this is the most significant innovation you've brought to the table in some time.
discspeed

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Speaking as someone with a weaker arm, I can say my 148 Katana is a keeper. It reaches my average distance (325' with my E* Wraith) much easier and im able to get it 30' to what seems 50' further if I really give it all I have. Uphill and downwind, I'm throwing it flat and watching it turn over slightly with a dependable fade. In no wind, a little hyzer let's it take a low line unbelievably well. If I give it some height on a flat throw (no wind), it turns over for a wide flight and even more distance.

For reference, it has a lot of uniform bubbles in the flight plate and is pretty domey compared to others in the batch I checked out. Spinthrift actually picked it out for me.

It's a keeper...I'm out-throwing my 167 Star Roadrunner on hyzer lines and tailwinds, my 169 E* Wraith on stable lines (more hyzer), and it even does a mean in-flip for overstable lines (but those are more for fun).

I opted to try the Katana first because I figured it would be a killer max D driver, even though I dont throw them normally. My other fast drivers are Wraiths, but I'm hesitant to pick up a Blizzard Wraith because I don't know what role it would fill.

PS - anyone else think it would be great to see a less-domey Blizzard production...I'm thinking it would be sweet to get some slower, overstable molds like PD's, Firebirds (if they could run them flat), and the like.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 pm

My buddy let me throw his pink 141 wraith and two blue 135 destroyers. His 141 wraith was worthless for me. I bag a newish glow 175 wraith that handles overstable distance driver duty, moderate headwinds, flex shots 380-400' that must fade, and mainly low line flat forehands out to 340'. His 141 wraith flipped up, over, and burned on the 8 or so throws I had with it. I finally gave it 60' height on a high turnover anny line, which it did turnover way left to right, but had no fade to speak of and crashed into the ground early IMO due to the lack of fade.

The destroyers were fairly over stable and didn't pop-up like I was expecting after throwing the blizzard wraith. I had one 380' high long distance line flex shot that felt pretty good but another friend that usually tops out around 330-340' with a wraith was consistantly hitting 360' after only a few throws. I like discs that turnover so perhaps a slighly heavier boss might work for me. It was cool throwing hard and not killing my arm/elbow but blizzard being so light weight would take some getting used to feel the release angles so thats why I'm think heavier than 135.

Frank Delicious wrote:one last thing, if you have a clean flick, you can flick the shit out of these. If you don't have a clean flick, you will be throwing a lot of forehand rollers.

Hell yeah flick. I usually flick a S-PD for control distance and power up a Firebird for big fade with a skip but the easy to contorl when sidearmed destroyer has me thinking I need to add a spot in my bag.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby discspeed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Today I had a chance to throw my 156 Boss with a decent tailwind. I really got a good rip on it, high and turning pretty hard. It did a full helix and hit the middle of the road 100' past the 390' basket I was aiming at. For reference, I don't ever throw that far. Lately I haven't been concentrating on distance at all and on the course I've only been eeking out a little over 400' with my 175 Sword. JohnE McCray had just been showing off and throwing into the road and then I just stepped up and matched him with my lightweight bubble disc. That was about my 10th time throwing that disc and I don't know how repeatable that will be, but when a disc is adding 50' or so to my normal D drives it tends to get my attention.
discspeed

Postby turso » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:11 pm

These things are starting to sound like the shit to have in your bag for max distance. Gotta get to choose couple good destros at some point.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment