Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Postby JR » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 am

I have a 150 with bubbles in the flight plate and the wing. I just got a diagnosis of an improperly rehabbed ankle so i now am in rehab with exercises that help in getting normal range of motion in my ankle and making it stronger. I may be throwing sooner than i thought. There's no traction outside now but there is a 330' indoor hall that i may use on Wednesday. Of course it's difficult to say anything about the fade if i dare to go and throw. And there's not something robbing a part of the field like DDC and other irrelevancies :-D There probably will be. So i can't tell when i can get some air time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm

I got an ok to throw from a doc today so i got a few tosses in with various discs i had picked up during my hiatus. The 150 Teedevil flies ok. I was throwing on an ice path sideways along the path so i had room only for a slowed down x step so i lost a lot of power. Traction was ok for winter because it was perforated by small stones having sunk through the ice. The wind was pretty stiff a little left of rear wind. With pulled power the Teedevil didn't flip at all. I was throwing into a hill side in an unfamiliar place so i can't estimate the D. I had to throw upwards beyond my power generation optimum apex. I threw a low shot twice and the disc held speed so much better that it flew a laser until hitting the hill at approximately 230-250'. Thrown purely at pulled power i don't see a problem other than the flight numbers aren't -1 for turn and 2 for fade. It is more like 0 turn and 3 for fade. I imagine it won't turn bad if at all at 420' power for the longest drivers thrown low but i can't tell until i can throw with traction.

I did not want to risk losing both of my Katanas so i only took the heavier 156 with me and it fades pretty hard in a rear wind with pulled power. No flipping. The Katana 156 pulled out of an anny way earlier and harder than the 150 Teedevil.

I don't think that in other winds than front winds you couldn't keep the 150 Teedevil controlled Frank. I don't know your preferences but i'm sure that at 150 you're fine. I won't hazard a guess how much lighter you could go before i get a chance to throw at full power with traction and hear about your opinions of a 150.

I think i could smack a lighter Katana around with control but that impression may change with full power throws with traction. Maybe tomorrow but the hall won't allow me to see the fade. Being too short.

If i had to guess Katanas and Teedevils can be controlled at around 145 grams for a clean throw powered with 420' power with Nukes of 160 and up. And about equally long other discs. The discs i threw had HSS to spare at roughly 300' of D into a hill. The flights would have been significantly longer on flat ground and lower apexes. I'm thinking 360' minimum with probably 380' potential. The Katana was more HSS so that probably gives even more safety for estimation errors on low lines at full power. I have a 150 Katana to be tested but that weight difference ain't enough for me. I want a lighter one. Provided that indoor practice doesn't make the disc flip more than i thought at full power and low apexes.

Powered down the 156 Katana sure held up to the almost 20 gram difference vs Champ rule. The thing with the Katana is that the Bliz Katana is shaped more like a Pro than a regular Champ. A regular Champ is more HSS and LSS in a noticeable but fairly minor way at least in the 2011 Masters Cup CFR version. I heard that the production Champs might be a little less beefy but i have not thrown those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby isobar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 am

I got a 135 Destroyer, 150 wraith and a 150 Katana.

The Katana so far is my favorite disc, followed by the Destroyer, I average about 340-350' with my normal drivers and since I switched to these I have no problems getting them out to 380+. I'm overshooting holes I use to need perfect shots to birdie and i'm deucing holes I never could. I've had no problems with these being flippy when thrown at full power. I would say out of 50 throws with them only two have turned and burned, and both of them I could feel myself throwing too hard and I would put the blame on wrist roll. I've had no problems throwing them straight, hyzer or even a nice sweeping 350' anny that follows a dog leg right when thrown RHBH.

So in conclusion I suggest picking these up, or at least making sure you get someone you know to let you test them out. They are quickly becoming my go-to discs and I don't have to throw nearly as hard meaning I get much more control.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby emiller3 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm REALLY curious to see how these things fly at high altitude.

I'm looking for something that is a little less HSS than my max weight E* Destroyer, something along the lines of a slightly seasoned Pro Destroyer or a new Flow. What should I get? I'm currently thinking about a 130's Destroyer or Boss.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Pwingles » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

In my experience so far bosses will have more turn than the ds's. The ds are strangely hss but its not a bad thing, not bad in wind either
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby emiller3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:59 am

I picked up a 139g Destroyer.

So far it's exactly what I was looking for, a less squirely version of my slightly seasoned Pro Destroyers. It was less nose angle sensitive, better in the wind, and overall had a more reliable fade with a little more distance. No turning and burning here. And like others have said, throwing it was effortless.

I was having huge success with high shots, I've reached a couple areas I've never been able to hit before. They seem to carry forward longer than heavier Destroyers, but they still have that nice strong fade at the end.

I definitely plan on making this my primary distance driver. I'll still carry something heavier for stronger winds.

Mine is poppy top, but not hugely domed from edge to edge. The dome really is only on the flight plate. Is this typical, or should I go back and buy more while I can?
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dvlcek » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I may have to try a 130. My 150 Destroyer is pretty beefy up here. Not getting anymore distance with it than my 167-169 Nukes. I've got a decent arm but the HSS is just wicked with the Destroyer I have. Gets out quick and then just fades like a dart. Mine is pretty domey in more of the flight plate as well. Still need to get some throws in with it. Been wanting to give it a little hyzer on release and that could be part of the problem. It's also been kind of breezy on the days I have been out and a little scared that it will turn and hop the fence if I toss it level. Need to stop being a pussy about it and just crank the thing is what it most likely comes down to.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby emiller3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm

At 5000'+, I wouldn't be afraid of my 139 turning too hard unless the headwind is up over 20mph. I was definitely afraid of doing that with my heavy Pro Destroyers, once they got just a little seasoned they were all over the place.

I've thrown mine pretty poorly with some nose up and it still pushes through and gets out there. I've had some really good nose down flat rips that have just barely turned. I've yet to have it land at less than 400', and it's got that feel of a disc that'll end up straight with a strong finish no matter what you do to it.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:09 pm

My 156 Boss is proving about as durable as Star so far. It has developed a little high speed turn compared to the 2 others I've only field thrown. If I'm in the open these are proving longer than any of my other discs in most conditions. My biggest problem is really trusting myself to follow through downward on a anhyzer to get the movement needed for a max D line...I keep coming across a little too flat and just getting a long straight to fade shot...Scarily these botched shots are often pretty darn long themselves. I'm looking forward to my Boss breaking in a little more.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 am

I found a place where there was only a lot of water and pebbles on asphalt so there was more room and traction although not perfect conditions. I got a lot more power generation and got the Teedevil to turn around 3 degree from flat on low lines. I took my 150 Katana and it flipped about 6 degrees with fairly high apexes. Wide turns for open holes or hyzer flips are needed. And this baby goes and goes and you guessed it goeeeeeesssss.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:08 am

Initial results for some new Blizzards me being off from being worn plus traction woes etc. 150 Wraith seems to be the most golfable out of this set. On low lines it needs a little initial hyzer to flip to flat. Maybe 3-4 degrees for me. The fade is there and is pretty hefty as you'd expect from a Wraith.

134 Wraith stamp is bizarre with the flight rating numbers. Yeah it is named the Wraith and still it flies like a totally different disc with the same shape. Which is forcing the thumb fairly out for a good grip. Because the bubble flight plate is soft and funky feeling. Kinda like the Dart And Kite but a little milder than those. The fade is less than with the 150 and the glide is exceptional. I threw it with moderately tight s-curves and high apexes for me to pretty good distances. The 150 changes flipping fast with apex changes and the 134 is even more Jekyll and Hyde being Hydeous thrown low. Therefore i'd use the 134 only for tall shots. The 150 ain't exactly forgiving thrown low so i'd shy away from head high tosses. Which are difficult with both because of the great glide and quickness of the initial portion of the flight. It is doable with both but even the 150 is unforgiving at full power.

133 Katana is useless in other roles than roller or stand still throws for 400' crowd. I don't know how much less power one should have to have use out of it. I wouldn't wonder if this suits 200-250' throwers better than 300' throwers. I threw 70 degree hyzers and wasn't able to throw cleanly each time and there is no way this thing can handle any OAT. I threw from above the knee in the reach back to top of the head or a little higher rip with immense apex heights and it still turned over about dozen degrees and still went far. No accuracy and repeating with this one at my power. Not suggesting this one for power throwers because it is the most understable disc i've thrown and it overpowers too easily.

131 Destro fades almost like the full weight normal plastic ones. That makes flexing out easy on higher lines. I didn't throw medium or low annies. At this weight the Destro suffers from the same problem as the 150 Wraith. They turn on low drives and at medium heights the don't. I have too few throws to say what the apex height for no turning for me is. 7-8' apexes turn quite a lot i'm thinking 6-7ish degrees. I didn't need to raise the apex much to not need to initial hyzer. Very rough guesstimation is around 10-13'. The low weight does not allow using it in tunnels. The fade is hefty. LSS 3-3.5 i think. For 400' crowd golfability needs a higher weight if you don't want to see a lot of difference for hyzer angles with varying apexes. How much probably varies with speed and spin of the thrower. The same is true of the 150 Wraith. For both i think at least 5 grams probably 10 are needed. Then the Wraith would get closer to normal plastics because there are at least 166 regular Star Wraiths. If you need the line of the Destro a 140-145 might just work. The trouble is losing floating and even the 131 ain't that long with line drives. So far the 150 Katana is touchy and 156 almost as long with much more reliability and ease of use and the Wraith ain't far back in D in 134 with high wide spaces. And not many other lines are good. Even then the 134 Wraith is easy to get far off the mark.

I guess the flight line needs determine if any of these are useful to you. Stand stills are greatly improved for me with many of these. For me the 156 Katana then 150 Wraith, 150 Katana and 134 Wraith are the most useful. And if there is need for HSS and assured stiff fade the 131 Destro would jump up in usability to between the 150 Wraith and the 150 Katana. YMMV. Baggable discs are 156 Katana and 150 Wraith around here. The Destro and 134 Wraith could have uses on other courses but the 134 Wraith is a hot rod and best used for throwing over objects and i recommend a minimum of 18' apex for these for 400' crowd with old speed 13 discs. The 134 Wraith is good for max D shots not golf shots. The Katana could work in around 145. 140 could be pushing it even for distance throwing.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Booter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:19 am

holy shit jr
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby warobert » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Another masterpiece Jr. I am seeing some similar results as you. My 148 wraith is great on 75% shots but turns too much and glides too well on low lines. I have a 150 boss though that is just like a slightly beat star, if it was 150
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby JR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:58 am

I thought of a possible trick shot use for the 133 Katana. Thrown somewhere around vertical anny over the head it may either fly upside down or thrown with 1-3 o'clock release it might do a flip to flat right side up on lower lines. It sounds so sick that it might be fun to try it. I don't see it being usefully repeatable for trick shots but one never knows before one throws.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby veganray » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 am

150 Pro Vulcans will do a full barrel-roll & fly flat when thrown hard tomahawk.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment