Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Postby isobar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 am

What I get out of Jr's review is pretty similar to what I was thinking, but I don't have the max D that he does to figure it out fully. These seem very nice for people who want to throw the same distance as a normal max D driver, but only at ~80% of the effort. I am starting to notice that if I try and throw these too far they do get a bit flippy and I am trying to control that. So far I can get my 150 Katana 400-425 feet (Thrown at a slight hyzerflip, about a 10'-12; apex), and that's easily my longest driver. With my old 170 Flash and my 168 destroyer, I could get them to max out at about 350-375 depending on the rip. So these seem to benefit the playerbase who falls into my skill level a lot more than the seasoned pro who can throw the normal discs 450+
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby MuffRyder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Hello I'm new to disc and I've only been playing for a little over a month and for some reason I want to try out a blizzard disc. I feel that I might be able to throw it better because it lighter but I'm not really sure. I just try and listen to what people tell me and go from there. So one question I have is do you think the Wraith would be the best disc for a beginner thrower or a different type of blizzard? Second what would be a better weight 139 or 148? I do admit that I do not have the best strength in the world so thats why I think the lighter the better but what do I know. So if anyone can help me with this that would be great. Thank You And sorry for posting this again my first post got locked so I figured copying and pasting it to this would be the right thing to do and I have read the post in here too and I feel stupid but i still need help hahaha
MuffRyder
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Dig It » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm

MuffRyder wrote:Hello I'm new to disc and I've only been playing for a little over a month and for some reason I want to try out a blizzard disc. I feel that I might be able to throw it better because it lighter but I'm not really sure. I just try and listen to what people tell me and go from there. So one question I have is do you think the Wraith would be the best disc for a beginner thrower or a different type of blizzard? Second what would be a better weight 139 or 148? I do admit that I do not have the best strength in the world so thats why I think the lighter the better but what do I know. So if anyone can help me with this that would be great. Thank You And sorry for posting this again my first post got locked so I figured copying and pasting it to this would be the right thing to do and I have read the post in here too and I feel stupid but i still need help hahaha

My suggestion to you is to stay away from Blizzard discs as they will be too much disc for you having only played a month. Learn how to throw slower discs and that will do more for your game than trying to stuff a round blizzard peg into a noodle arm hole.

Real talk: 2012 Edition.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby MuffRyder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah this is true I just want to buy a nice new disc all I got are old crappy ones that I got for this Swap Man guy. All he does is go in the swaps and finds disc and I got some off of him. So a nice new one I would think is a Blizzard just cause its light but I dont know.
MuffRyder
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Dig It » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

MuffRyder wrote:Yeah this is true I just want to buy a nice new disc all I got are old crappy ones that I got for this Swap Man guy. All he does is go in the swaps and finds disc and I got some off of him. So a nice new one I would think is a Blizzard just cause its light but I dont know.

Even though they are lighter, they do still have a pile of beef on them. Perhaps if you just want something fun to throw a 150 R Pro Boss would suit you better as they really are a good deal (at least HSS) less overstable. Do they even still make 150 R Pro Bosses?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Tao of Disc Golf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:15 am

MuffRyder wrote:Yeah this is true I just want to buy a nice new disc all I got are old crappy ones that I got for this Swap Man guy. All he does is go in the swaps and finds disc and I got some off of him. So a nice new one I would think is a Blizzard just cause its light but I dont know.

The Katana would be your best bet.
Tao of Disc Golf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzz

Postby JR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:30 am

veganray wrote:150 Pro Vulcans will do a full barrel-roll & fly flat when thrown hard tomahawk.

Laff! Mambas might be pretty crazy too in low weights. I have a 159 Star Vulcan and it is about as HSS as a new Star Sidewinder. Not flippy enough for upside down in anything like a normal throw. It would have to pretty a crazy shot like 2-3 o'clock release.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LumberJack » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:44 am

My 150 blue Destroyer seems even more nose angle sensative than a typical pro/star Destroyer. And it is plenty HSS. It does bomb though, it flies like a long Predator... lol. Just give it plenty of height and throw hyzers with it. I haven't broken 400' with it...yet.
So, I purchased a 148 Boss. It has more of an inner, poppy, dome than the Destroyer, which has a nice, mild and consistent dome. Neither disc had flash, but I still gave them a lil rub-rub on the teepads. The Boss, when thrown flat and ripped, has some lateral movement and flat crushes. The blizzard Boss is easily as long as my r-pros, with less lateral movement. Me likey.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 am

Muffryder it is true that lighter discs will be more easily powered to be controlled. The 134 Wraith fades the least out of my blizzards and the fade on the Katana is even more. The trouble with these discs is that they are hot rods. They may work well when the stars align or you throw well and know the disc inside and out and can always get the perfect combination of height, power, nose angle and hyzer angle. Miss any one of these requirements by a little and you get a very different flight. The other problem is that all of these discs are meant to fade pretty much. It is good on open courses for ranging high powered shots limiting overshooting distance. For OBs and tighter fairways you need something straighter and more trustworthy that doesn't change the flight pattern with different heights or winds. Each of these discs in the heavy versions are speed sensitive. Meaning they may be solid as a rock for you except when you get a freak good pull or headwind and then it flips hard.

Beast Bliz is coming and that will be easier to manipulate for left, straight and right flights. Even a low 160s regular Champ does that at to some extent for newer players. It isn't the most touchy disc but it can be flipped by headwinds.

Because the 134 Wraith fades the least and has good distance to input power ratio and way lower power requirement that would be the recommendation i make to new players that absolutely have to try out wide winged discs. The upside is that you'll get a glimpse of what big boy discs are like and can calibrate your needs. Plus you can start training how to grip wider discs and stretch the fingers out farther and develop grip strength. If you limit the flight paths you want to get out of your disc the Blizzzards can be beefy to moderately overstable discs at least in mild winds.

R Pro Bosses are the most fragile discs in production. One tree or rock hit and they be unusable. Bliz for the win for longevity.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 am

JR wrote:Beast Bliz is coming...

Do tell more.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:33 pm

That's the only thing i've heard. Sometime somewhere but when who can say and if they work who knows. I'm gonna pick one up when they come probably in different weights too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Booter » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:09 pm

those will be out later this year.

bliz dominators are comin too (theres one on ebay)
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby backflip » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:26 pm

i had my domey 150g destroyer with all the bubbles in the flight plate totally cave in on me this morning when i pulled it out to throw on a long hole this morning in a tourney. it did sit in my car all week in in warmish spring temps but it unusable as it was 1/2 convex and 1/2 dome. i did manipulate it back this eve to a full dome with some hot water and a bowl but me thinks this will effect the future flight somewhat in some mysterious way. i got some good rips off the original disc but now i gotta relearn it. im not sure if it will make me tourney bag or not because im not sure if it will fold again and im not sure if i can ever find a domey destroyer with small bubbles in the flight plate that will be warped and rebuilt through reshaping with hot water and a bowl. while i gotta admire their business strat ive gotta say i will not participate in any more product testing for innova. every damn blizzard disc is a snowflake and they have no idea how it will fly. with that said please support the blizzard research as so mankind can continue evolve. that is all.
backflip
Noob

Favorite Disc: esp comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 pm

I would do horrible things for a blizzard firebird and eagle.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby kern9787 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:53 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I would do horrible things for a blizzard firebird and eagle.

I know I've joked about getting a blizzard mamba... but I would LOVE a blizzard viper!!!
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment