The best sidearm driver you can think of.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The best sidearm driver you can think of.

Postby smarkquart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 pm

For someone who at best can straighten a forehand out for 300 feet, the best results I have been having recently is with an Icon Cannon. Very straight, a little more tolerant of the wind, not flippy or overstable, and does really well low to the ground.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby slowarm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Champ Teebird. Good for everything. But if it's just for distance, then something faster. My choice would be Surge or Wraith, but if you throw far enough, pick a Destroyer. If you're full of OAT, take the Max (or learn how to throw...)
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby jbl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:27 pm

what is OAT?
jbl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby cjc » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:42 pm

..c-pd2, firebird, boss
cjc
Noob

Favorite Disc: champ max

Postby Mike C » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 pm

300' - SJLS
350' - SOLF
400' - SDD
450' - Quasar (I'm guessing...not quite there yet :lol:)
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby JR » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 pm

OAT=off axis torgue=any motion that makes the disc move in another direction than forward and rotating only in one axis around the center of the disc. Like throwing hyzer and following through with the arm in an anny fashion. Meaning the arm rises to the rip and falls down after it. There the fingers tilt the disc toward anhyzer at the last moments of the contact between the disc and the fingers. FR ESP Nuke is beefier than others except Nuke OS. Nuke OS helps those that have a dirtier form than a Z or ESP Nuke can't tame. Z and ESP Nukes are longer than the harder fading Nuke OS. The best FH max D disc depends on your speed, spin and cleanliness of form. The cleaner you throw the less fading disc you can use. For golf drives a Beast works well. But faster discs go farther and fade more. Play the fade like you do BH using different discs for differently shaped and differing length holes and that is the best use of FH distance. So using more than one driver along the standard advice for disc roles is recommended. Sometimes it may be most useful to toss the slower disc annied on a max D line than the beefy disc flat. You can ride the wind FH too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rwmurrow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Why are we throwing a forehand for distance again? I use it alot, just never for distance. If it is a long right turning hole an I need max D with right hook I forehand my P-PD2!
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby inthedrift » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I'll also cast my vote for Destroyers. I use Wraiths for BH distance and used to just flick my most stable Wraith, but then I put a Star Destroyer in my bag and it was $$$ for FH distance. I lost that disc however...I will most likely get another Destroyer but I've also thought about trying the PD2 or the Quasar for this slot.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Flick4D » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:20 am

Star Destroyer.

DGA Proline Hurricanes and Discraft ESP Forces are very comparable to the Star Destroyer, and awesome.

If you need more stability to fight headwinds or hide form flaws, or because you enjoy throwing with all your might, then Millennium Quasars and Discmania C-PD2's are both incredible discs!

If you're talking about accuracy, and not so much distance, then Champion Firebird (overstable), C-PD (a little less stability), Champion Firebird-L (straight with finesse, understable with power), or Champion Valkyrie (under stable).
Flick4D
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Star Destroyer

Postby Spinthrift » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am

Short answer: OAT=off axis torque=wobble. Makes the disc intially less stable and subject to turning left on RHFH.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

Force
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby JR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:36 am

I guess i read the name of the thread wrong as did everyone else. The correct answer to the topic name is Ville Piippo European and Finnish champion :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Why do people recommend pretty much all overstable drivers for FH distance but not BH distance?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I actually would recommend the Quantum Orion LS. One of the best straight distance drivers for learning a BH with. That thing can hold any line out of the box
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Mike C wrote:Why do people recommend pretty much all overstable drivers for FH distance but not BH distance?

Spinthrift wrote:Short answer: OAT=off axis torque=wobble. Makes the disc intially less stable and subject to turning left on RHFH.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment