The best sidearm driver you can think of.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The best sidearm driver you can think of.

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Also the best forehander is either Wysocki or Big Jerm.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby dehaas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I had a merlot colored vip king that I was crushing until I lost it. Since then I've been throwing a star destroyer and it's worked fairly well. As of Sunday I would've said the king was longer, but I had a few tosses with the destroyer that were just as long.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Personal fave is Discraft Z Force
Honorable mentions include Star Destroyer, and any Halo.
These are for out and out distance..... The Force also wins for wind resistance and accuracy, because it fits my mitts.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Well why not just fix the OAT? Why is FH exempt from that but BH isn't? Like why does everyone tell people to throw putters for upshots with BH but Zones for FH upshots? Neutral putters can by hyzer flicked and fly the exact same line and that's what people do BH but not FH.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Mike C wrote:Well why not just fix the OAT? Why is FH exempt from that but BH isn't?
Because people are ignorant of their own problems and lazy.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Well I guess is what I am asking is this. On this site and most others, people recommend discing down, throwing putters for upshots and short drives, correcting OAT, learning how to drive a Comet 300' with no turn etc. when it comes to backhand, but when someone asks for FH drivers people say get a Force/FB/flick/Destroyer and other fast, fairly overstable molds.

Why is there such a disconnect in the advice being given for FH and BH? Why don't we tell people to learn to flick a Comet 300' to eliminate OAT, or throw putters for upshots, or disc down etc?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Mike C wrote:Well I guess is what I am asking is this. On this site and most others, people recommend discing down, throwing putters for upshots and short drives, correcting OAT, learning how to drive a Comet 300' with no turn etc. when it comes to backhand, but when someone asks for FH drivers people say get a Force/FB/flick/Destroyer and other fast, fairly overstable molds.

Why is there such a disconnect in the advice being given for FH and BH? Why don't we tell people to learn to flick a Comet 300' to eliminate OAT, or throw putters for upshots, or disc down etc?

When I flick but for distance I use a beat star destroyer which is the same thing I use backhand. I use every disc in my bag forehand and backhand.

People should absolutely learn to throw putters and mids on upshots and for decent distance but, as you know, the mechanics of the forehand are different than the backhand and the discs will act differently because of that so the same advice can't always apply.

People should really watch Big Jerm flick online sometime if they want to see some clean FH form.
Frank Delicious

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Yeah I've been watching a lot of his videos lately, he's one of my favorite golfers to watch play the game. He is super clean with his FH form.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby turso » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Yup, it's shameful how easily people accept utterly shitty forms for forehand. They don't seem to understand that forcing the disc isn't the way to go, even though they should've learned that from BH practice already.

My FH power is shit, I practically never practice or use it on the track, but I concentrate keeping it clean and can hit around 300-330' with a River, accuracy being crap, but I think the "never practice" might have something to do with that. Destros and such are WAY too overstable for me if I don't intentionally throw like shit, and that just produces a shit result anyhow.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby inthedrift » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Also the best forehander is either Wysocki or Big Jerm.

Gotta agree here. You might add Uli to the list as well.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Paul's a little torquey though.
Frank Delicious

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Mike C wrote:Why is there such a disconnect in the advice being given for FH and BH? Why don't we tell people to learn to flick a Comet 300' to eliminate OAT, or throw putters for upshots, or disc down etc?
We do tell people that, but few listen. And whenever someone asks something like "What's the best FH/BH driver?" people answer with their own favorite. And people who throw like shit BH suggest overstable shit for BH, like people who throw like shit FH suggest overstable shit for FH.

But there is some point to recommending more overstable plastic for FH. It's inherently harder to get proper spin on the disc when throwing FH, and according to some of the best FH throwers out there BH simply just has more spin potential than FH. If you can get the speed (and many people can launch a disc FH) but not the spin, you're going to need some extra stability. With good technique the gap can be made smaller, but it'll always be there.

Except for Brodie Smith, that dude doesn't seem to have any limits when it comes to FHs... Eff Piippo, Jerm, Wysocki, Bennett etc., I wanna learn how to throw like Brodie.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mike C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55 pm

I wonder how much of it is inherent to FH and how much is people simply unwilling to practice the fundamentals.

I can't really comment on it too much since I've only taken FH seriously for the past half year, but from what I've seen there is much less different about FH vs BH than there are similarities. I recently realized something I was doing to cause OAT and fixed that, and today when I was testing out my new technique I was able to flick my most neutral Axis at max power with slight hyzer FH release and it stood up to flat and cruised forward a good 300-340' with 0 turn. I'm by no means a FH expert but I have taken time to play FH putter rounds. After watching ultimate games and seeing them flick I simply could not accept that a DG putter can't be flicked even further. On my very best throws I've flicked my Ions for 240-260' on controlled, zero turn lines, and like I said I've only taken FH seriously half a year. I'd love to see what some of these really skilled FH pros could do with lids, putters, neutral mids etc. just for fun.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am

We still don't know how far the OP can throw FH. I just browsed through these three pages, and I couldn't help but wonder if we were misleading him (assuming his D isn't past 300' on FH). IMO, an Eagle-x or something in that speed range is going to be the best to learn correct form. It's still stable enough to handle some OAT, but it's not like throwing an Ape/Destroyer/etc with a stupid amount of OAT and never knowing it. You gotta learn somehow. Slow, less stable discs are what will improve your game.

On a 200' hole at a local course, I saw a guy throw a champ 11/12 speed driver on forehand. It was flying through the air like a dying duck, did a big s-curve through the woods, and then smashed into the chains for an ace. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I personally wouldn't count that as an ace. I also didn't have the heart to tell him that he needed to use a putter on that shot next time. I guess I'm just surprised that the "best" forum for disc golf is suggesting very overstable plastic for a thrower who might or might not have good form or distance.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 am

@mike C

the biggest thing that holds people back from learning FH form properly is the fact that most people consider it a utility shot instead of a normal shot.
Frank Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment