gateway mystic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

gateway mystic

Postby money 21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm

this is what dave had to say when i asked him about it in an email. "The Mystic has the same rim below the parting line as the scout, but it has a different top (the scout is rounded, the mystic is flat ,,above the parting line),, its less stable, easier to turn and less fade."
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: gateway mystic

Postby Dig It » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:33 am

Huh. I really liked the Scout. Felt it threw like a somewhat beat DX Rancho or a DX Sanny. I swore when I saw the title Mystic it was going to be another putter.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby zj1002 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am

why make a midrange less stable than the scout? are they going to drop the EL?
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I only have an e Scout and when new it fades quite a bit and in calm weather it won't turn for me at full power. So understable option is ok in my books. The Scout ain't that great in headwinds considering the amount of fade it has. Around new Rancho DX Roc i think.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 am

Gateway mids confuse me. They have a big rim for a mid, so in theory they would appeal to guys who like a driver-like feel in their mids. The diameters are huge, though. You would think they would make a small diameter mid to go with the driver-like rim.

As it is, most of the people I talk to either don't like the rim or don't like the big diameter. Image
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby BLURR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 am

The many years I was with Gateway...that was one of my chief complaints about the mid's. Dave and I had many conversations about the usefulness of smaller diameter mid's. But it always came back to the big diameter design and the glide that came with them. They used to run the G6i, which was a variation of the G5i Demon and IMO the best mid they ever produced, which was more or less the "L" version of the Demon. Kind of like the beaded Gator vs. non-beaded Gator.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 pm

There was disc that Peter Barry (an acquaintance of mine that was Gateway sponsored) threw 7 or 8 years ago that he called a "Sceamon." He said it was sorta a Demon and sorta a Scout. He swore by them, and swore at them since he couldn't get any more.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby BLURR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Working Stiff wrote:There was disc that Peter Barry (an acquaintance of mine that was Gateway sponsored) threw 7 or 8 years ago that he called a "Sceamon." He said it was sorta a Demon and sorta a Scout. He swore by them, and swore at them since he couldn't get any more.

That was probably the G6i. It had the stability of the old scout, but the speed of the demon.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby money 21 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:19 pm

i have a couple of those old scouts and love them. the h plastic is the sh!t in a mid. don't like it on the drivers but the mids it was great. i love the new scout and with the made them in the h plastic.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 pm

BLURR wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:There was disc that Peter Barry (an acquaintance of mine that was Gateway sponsored) threw 7 or 8 years ago that he called a "Sceamon." He said it was sorta a Demon and sorta a Scout. He swore by them, and swore at them since he couldn't get any more.

That was probably the G6i. It had the stability of the old scout, but the speed of the demon.
Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like back in the day Dave was more willing to do stuff like the G6i, which if it's the disc I'm thinking of was made by popping the plastic out of the mold earlier and then dunking them in water which made the top dome up and made the wings puffier. At some point I think he started to realize that it was a lot of fucking work to make a Frisbee. It's cool to know how to do that and probably cool to do for a small run, but to do that for a disc in regular production would be a pain in the ass.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby BLURR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 pm

That process you described is how they make the QC Illusions. I remember when they did the initial test run of the QC process back when the Illusion first came out. And yes...the G6i was the QC version of a demon. They did some blazes in a funky blend of s plastic as well.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm

So a guy in our Club called me and said we were getting Samurai, Mystics and Karmas donated for our Ice Bowl. WTF is the Karma?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Working Stiff wrote:WTF is the Karma?

From Gateway's Ebay listing:
The Karma is a slightly over-stable mid-range and falls in between our Warrior and Scout in terms of stability, while the Mystic is a slightly understable mid-range which falls between the Scout and the Element.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I thought the Mystic was going to be less stable than the Element. I'm totally confused.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby BLURR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 am

Too much mixing and matching of tops with wings going on at GDS in my opinion. Seems somewhat counter productive.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Equipment