gateway mystic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: gateway mystic

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah, I really didn't think the Scout added much to the line-up because Demon/Warrior/Element seemed pretty decent to me. Now there are three discs shoved in there in a slot where I wasn't sure there was a need for one.

Of course I'm an old-school disc-cycling guy. Maybe if I was an out-of-the-box carry a bunch of molds for different shots guy I would see things differently.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby victorb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:WTF is the Karma?

From Gateway's Ebay listing:
The Karma is a slightly over-stable mid-range and falls in between our Warrior and Scout in terms of stability, while the Mystic is a slightly understable mid-range which falls between the Scout and the Element.

so the karma is basically the element-x? that's what I'm guessing. I loved the element-x. stopped throwing it when gateway stopped making it, because the good ones were hard to find when they were in production.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Spike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Gateway mids confuse me. They have a big rim for a mid, so in theory they would appeal to guys who like a driver-like feel in their mids. The diameters are huge, though. You would think they would make a small diameter mid to go with the driver-like rim.

As it is, most of the people I talk to either don't like the rim or don't like the big diameter. Image

That's what I like with Gateway's mids; the large diameters and the wide rims. It's what makes the nice fast/glidey combo (i think). I currently use Element and Warrior, and a Z Buzzz in between.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby money 21 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Yeah, I really didn't think the Scout added much to the line-up because Demon/Warrior/Element seemed pretty decent to me. Now there are three discs shoved in there in a slot where I wasn't sure there was a need for one.

Of course I'm an old-school disc-cycling guy. Maybe if I was an out-of-the-box carry a bunch of molds for different shots guy I would see things differently.

the scout is best for cycling the discs though. i have several in stage of wear from over stable hpp scout to a beat s scout that flies like a stingray.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:29 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:WTF is the Karma?

From Gateway's Ebay listing:
The Karma is a slightly over-stable mid-range and falls in between our Warrior and Scout in terms of stability, while the Mystic is a slightly understable mid-range which falls between the Scout and the Element.

Like Gateway didn't compete with itself with the current line up already. And if some older overlapping discs (Element has changed for example) already made buying Gateway mids iffy for getting replacements purchasing new ones is a bit risky. OTOH the new discs are so close that one may get away with using a new disc to replace the old one. People would be forced to buy a disc without knowledge if the y needed to replace an old mid were it not for information sharing like this place. Do Gateway or disc golfers need another mid like that? Depends. If it does something great better than the others yes otherwise hell no. The thing about Scout i don't like is the ratio of wind handling to high speed turn in different wind conditions. That is to say both Scout and the Warrior are speed sensitive. Add more HSS and keep the same fade and it is a worthy addition to the line. Both are great discs for slightly different uses in calm weather. Emphasis on the word slightly.

Often Gateway S is the best plastic and the disc flies the best after considerable wear and that is intentional claims Dave McCormack. I have no clue on how my S Warrior or E Scout would wear and behave but knowing the unpredictable winds by the sea here they are situational discs limited to calmer days. Which is a deal breaker for general use core mold in my bag. I have no trouble using them as additives but that's the best role for them. Not so good for sales. Those discs are solid but not stellar staple discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Spike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:48 am

zj1002 wrote:why make a midrange less stable than the scout? are they going to drop the EL?

Love Element! Sure hope they don't drop it.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby money 21 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

i think the karma is an overstable comp to the element so i don't think they will drop it.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Finally got a mystic and this is a smooth flying disc. Feels just like the scout in the hand and flies kinda like the old pro cobra. I hope they get around to submitting the disc for approval soon would like to use it as a backup to my beat scout for the up coming season.
adding more to the review today i got a chance to air the disc out a little more and i noticed a hard fade at the very end of the flight. It was in both of the 2 mystics i was throwing. thrown flat at 300' power the disc turns over slowly and keeps turning until about the 280' mark then fades back hard. Keeping the disc in the bag just to see how it breaks in.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment