MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver?

Postby Codester101 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm

As this is "in stores" tomorrow, has anyone else had a chance to take it out for a spin?
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Postby rooneytunes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Anodes are up all over the place. I already got mine so you guys can have at it.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:27 pm

I grabbed an orange/red 168. Pretty stoked to try it out next to my Ion off the tee.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Codester101 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm

I love the way it flies, but I have the hardest time gripping it. Will have to wait for warm weather/soft anode.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Postby what'shisname » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 pm

How would this compare to something like the Zeppelin?
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby discspeed » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

what'shisname wrote:How would this compare to something like the Zeppelin?

I don't think the Zeppelin really compares to any current discs other than the Aero. The only discs I would compare to the Anode are the Ion, Qmegas, premium beadless Aviars/P2s, and perhaps certain E Warlocks. It compares to the Ion because it's overmolded and made of identical plastic. It's comparable to the others in that it is premium plastic and has a very similar shape and stability.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:59 pm

how close is it to S-P2s?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:how close is it to S-P2s?

I've only thrown one new S-P2 and it was more like the Ion in flight...Straight flight with no high speed turn and a late but strong fade. It was more overstable than I expected, but I don't know if it was a freak or the norm. It was a swirly gray 170 and it was a bit domey.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby new013 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 pm

yeah S-P2's are way more stable than i thought they would be, they've got a hefty amount of fade.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 pm

The S-Lines do, but they're good discs for what they do. D-P2's are where it's at though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:04 am

The DGR P2s I have are more stable than the S P2s I have.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Loop » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 am

And hopefully they make a soft version of this one too...

I don't get it. Its like MVP wants to shoot themselves in the leg.
They make medium discs first, and 90% of the customers (this is just a random number I made up) get bored with the lack of grip.
Or do the folk beyond the pond have suction cups on their fingers?

Yes you all can now start to shout how the grip is just fine, and that I just have styrofoam fingers. But still, medium plastic is pretty useless in all except perfect, warm conditions.

The soft ION is the only workable disc at the moment. Others are just slip city.
So come on, smarten up MVP. If the ONLY bad thing about your product is the lack of grip, make the soft versions first, for petes sake. 8)
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby jubuttib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 am

Loop wrote:And hopefully they make a soft version of this one too...

I don't get it. Its like MVP wants to shoot themselves in the leg.
They make medium discs first, and 90% of the customers (this is just a random number I made up) get bored with the lack of grip.
Or do the folk beyond the pond have suction cups on their fingers?

Yes you all can now start to shout how the grip is just fine, and that I just have styrofoam fingers. But still, medium plastic is pretty useless in all except perfect, warm conditions.

The soft ION is the only workable disc at the moment. Others are just slip city.
So come on, smarten up MVP. If the ONLY bad thing about your product is the lack of grip, make the soft versions first, for petes sake. 8)
Umm yeah, don't go preaching your own situation as gospel. That might be the situation for you, but others can have vastly different opinions. I prefer the mediums for everything and only think the added grip from the softs matters during the winter, and after my fingers warm up (which unfortunately can take over an hour) I don't even need that. From what I've seen the mediums seem to be at least as popular as the softs, so clearly people don't have incessant problems with them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Loop » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:50 am

Soft ones are much easier to approach, that was my point.

Everyone I have showed my medium ION, have told me that it is way too slippery and freakishly hard. And this includes some of the top players in the country...So its not just my sole opinion.
And the comment from the soft ION has usually been: "Hey, this doesn't feel as bad as the previous one I've tried"

Yes, it is a matter of preference. People have different types of hands and grips.
My bad, I didn't mean to sound preachy.

BTW what exactly is the plus side of the medium plastic? The soft one is already freakishly overstable and can survive all but Chuck Norris's roundhouse kick.
So why use the medium one in the first place? Is it the lack of give, that makes it more consistent? Or something in those lines?
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Postby jubuttib » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 am

I and many others like the feel of stiff putters better (otherwise KC Pro Aviars wouldn't sell at all), both when driving and when putting, and historically the Mediums were actually more neutral than the Softs on drives (I still mainly use the old ones for most shots, until I run out of them). Haven't thrown the new Softs yet (well, one throw with a Soft Eclipse) so I can't comment on the current flight differences if there are any, but I'm intrigued by your comment that the soft one is freakishly overstable. I can't really imagine an ION being properly overstable, not like a Zone for example, or even a Premium JOKERi. Some fade, yes, but not too much.

And I know that many people think the IONs, especially Mediums, are too slippery, Meresmaa commented on that when we had him throw them a couple of times (though those were the textured bottom ones). To some hands the difference is negligible, mine being like that. Everything is slippery to me, so I might as well go with what feels best otherwise. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment