MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 pm

I think it'll be a great advancement to have an ovemold driver, and I'll probably jump on trying it if it comes out, but don't we already have a bunch of spin-hungry, straight, line-holding discs?

Yet even still, I bet this would be a neat advancement in disc physics and flight characteristics. It might fly like a broken-in PD that holds it's line like a pro and is super easy to keep spinning in the air, making it longer and more accurate/wind resistant. Oh the joys of speculation.

Oh yeah...Anode....
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:47 pm

zj1002 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.


throwing the disc straight makes it straighter


This is a dumb comment and I expect more from you.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: MVP Anode

Postby zj1002 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
zj1002 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.


throwing the disc straight makes it straighter


This is a dumb comment and I expect more from you.


the overmold really doesn't make the disc "straighter". you have to throw it straight to begin with
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Apothecary » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:19 pm

i am excited to get my hands on some old ions...er...anodes.

hope they come stampless though. that art is fugly.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus
User avatar
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 am
Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Re: MVP Anode

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm

zj1002 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
zj1002 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.
throwing the disc straight makes it straighter
This is a dumb comment and I expect more from you.
the overmold really doesn't make the disc "straighter". you have to throw it straight to begin with
I took "straighter" in this context to mean "more neutral".
Fightingthetide wrote:I think it'll be a great advancement to have an ovemold driver, and I'll probably jump on trying it if it comes out, but don't we already have a bunch of spin-hungry, straight, line-holding discs?
We do? I thought we only had the TeeBird that really truly likes going straight.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Anode

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 pm

zj1002 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
zj1002 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.


throwing the disc straight makes it straighter


This is a dumb comment and I expect more from you.


the overmold really doesn't make the disc "straighter". you have to throw it straight to begin with


Both are true. You have to be able to throw straight. And you can throw discs that aren't designed to fly straight straight still. I can throw an eagle on a straight line. A teebird will always do it better though.

The overmold is increasing the disc's moment of inertia, which means the disc turns and fades slower than an identical disc with a more common distribution of weight. If that doesn't make it a "straighter" disc, I don't know what does...
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: MVP Anode

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm

jubuttib wrote:We do? I thought we only had the TeeBird that really truly likes going straight.


Well, there's the PD. But we've already established that to be just a teebird with rainbows shooting out of its ass.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: MVP Anode

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:35 pm

jubuttib wrote:I took "straighter" in this context to mean "more neutral".


Perhaps neutral was a better overall word for it.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:37 pm

kern9787 wrote:
jubuttib wrote:We do? I thought we only had the TeeBird that really truly likes going straight.


Well, there's the PD. But we've already established that to be just a teebird with rainbows shooting out of its ass.


I was thinking specifically of the Teebird, PD, and Predator...but I could be wrong.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Mike C » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:31 pm

kern9787 wrote:The overmold is increasing the disc's moment of inertia, which means the disc turns and fades slower than an identical disc with a more common distribution of weight. If that doesn't make it a "straighter" disc, I don't know what does...


This. Imagine TB HSS with a later and less drastic fade. Based on what I've seen with their other molds I think something like this is entirely possible.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:34 pm

zj1002 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
zj1002 wrote:
kern9787 wrote:I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.


throwing the disc straight makes it straighter


This is a dumb comment and I expect more from you.


the overmold really doesn't make the disc "straighter". you have to throw it straight to begin with


This is DGR, we know the whole "archer vs arrow" argument. We also know the difference between disc X and disc Y. Throwing straight is subjective, straight discs are not as subjective. A Teebird has a straighter flight, over a variation of rotational speeds, as compared to most other discs. We're talking about straightness of disc, not thrower ability to adjust for disc over/under stability.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: MVP Anode

Postby discspeed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 pm

I'm ready to see a driver. IMO, we'll see the most benefit from the overmold in a straight, teebird like driver. Eagle + gyro = a disc for closet teebird fans. All its going to do is make the disc straighter. You lose what makes the eagle an eagle.


What happens when you take a design that would have more turn and fade than the Eagle and then make it more gyroscopic? That's a question I'm interested in. I'm also interested in how the gyro will work on a truly understable design.

Right now though I'm just looking forward to testing the Anode. Chad mentioned that his proto likes to hang in the air a little longer than an Ion as well as fading less.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Anode

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Pred and PD both fade more than your average TB (or at least my average TB), unless they're beaten in very specifically.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: MVP Anode

Postby kern9787 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:08 pm

discspeed wrote:Chad mentioned that his proto likes to hang in the air a little longer than an Ion as well as fading less.


Any word on HSS of it?


As far as a driver, I'm actually most curious in applying the gyro to a design that is, with normal plastic technology, slightly understable without much fade (EL maybe?).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: MVP Anode

Postby Mike C » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:33 pm

"The GYRO™ affect on these combined with its aerodynamic profile makes this the 'perfect' putter imo. I wouldn't say its understable by any means, but with GYRO, you can make it hold hyzers and anhyzers on demand. I think there is still room for a true 'turnover' maybe in the future."

Basically if the Vector = *faster Ion, then Axis = faster Anode. That's my guess based on what he's said at least. Sounds like for putts and short approaches it's just going to be dead straight, neutral stability.

*The flatter Vectors anyways.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 am
Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron