Fairway Driver question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fairway Driver question

Postby jhilton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:45 pm

I know that there are some common combos out there in fairway drivers, and I tend to throw Teebird/Leopard a lot. I just picked up an Eagle X the other day and that disc is super fun to throw, so I am thinking about a EagleX/Leopard combo, but I am leery about leaving the super straight goodness of teebirds.

Anyone ever try partnering the Eagle X with a TL to achieve the fairway shots? Thoughts?

Is there a different combo that might work?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Fairway Driver question

Postby colombo117 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Eagle x will fly straight. Just hyzer flip it. It takes some practice. I like how a teebird locks in straight, but a eagle will lock in when thrown with some hyzer to adjust for the increased turn. Eagle is also nice for the little extra fade. I throw an eagle x eagle l combo right now. Also I still carry a Leo, cause its one of my favs.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby colombo117 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:08 pm

TLs are one disc I don't have alot of experience with. But beat teebirds seem to be what I imagine. So I would think the two would work. Honestly if you have room a teebird eagle combo would be slick.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 pm

straight=teebird, shape=eagle x, and flip=leo. works great as a three way.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Star Shark » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I throw TLs and EXs as a combo. Eagles for hyzers, wind and sidearm. TLs for straight to turnover although they might not be quite as flippy as I really like.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I recently started trying a PD / Leo combo and love it. The typical combo of PD / TD never worked for me, because TD's don't turn unless they are thrashed, or unless you are Whiz, Discspeed, Mike C, etc.

I used to throw Eagle-x's and TL's, then switched TL's for Leopards for the extra high speed turn, and then switched EX's for PD's for the extra distance and speed.

I have a 172 Star Leo that has minimal dome and it locks into the line I put it on. It even handles some headwinds too. I also have a domey 170 E* Leo that loves to turn from flat, but doesn't quite flip up from hyzer unless I am giving it all I have. It's new, so I am expecting that to change. Anyway, I love this combo because the distance between PD's and Leo's for me isn't too much, and I get shots that range from meathooks to turnovers in 2 molds that are comfortably in my power range.

For what it's worth, here is what I am glad to leave behind with EX's and TL's in particular - EX's take a while to break in because of the blunt nose, whereas PD's seem to break in faster...TL's are workable if they are beat in, but they are still snap-hungry like their big brother Teebird, whereas Leo's like to shape beautiful lines out of the box.

And for what it's worth, I might try an FD when they come into production.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jhilton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:37 pm

I actually throw PDs as well, they are just so long they really open up a gap beyond my fairways. While my pro PD certainly flies a line like my Teebird, it is probably 30-40 feet further in distance. As such, I have been carrying the PDs for raw distance, and the Teebirds for more control.

I just added the S.E.X. to the bag though and am excited about some of the lines it shapes. I just am trying to keep my mold count down and was curious about ditching the Teebird.

How long does it take to break in an good E.L. into a turnover disc?

The fact that it seems to come most often in champ plastic is disappointing to me, because it is so durable and might take too long fr my patience to break it in.
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby new013 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am

I love TLs.. I think they pair with Eagle X's very well. I also think the best TLs are the CFR Champs.. but if I recommend you to go buy CFR Champ TLs then that's just one more person in the pool trying to scoop up the good CFR Champ TLs.. So throw Leopards.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 am

jhilton wrote:
How long does it take to break in an good E.L. into a turnover disc?

What I like about the EL in champ is that the break in is so much slower and it is a reliable straight to turning driver.

The turn you get depends on how much speed and power you throw with and the angle at which you release. I throw fairways on low 15ft. line drives out to 360, longer if I air them out. This is to give you an idea, and I can throw an EL with slight hyzer and get a nice slow turn out of it. And adjust the angle to get more turn. They don't fade back as much as there EX brothers, obviously, and that is what makes them great.

I am sure there are members on here that can add more, as I have only thrown mine for a season.
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:20 am

Fightingthetide wrote:I recently started trying a PD / Leo combo and love it. The typical combo of PD / TD never worked for me, because TD's don't turn unless they are thrashed, or unless you are Whiz, Discspeed, Mike C, etc.
Or jubuttib...

But seriously, gummy S-lines shouldn't require too much power to turn them. Stiffer ones are another story though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby inthedrift » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 am

jubuttib wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I recently started trying a PD / Leo combo and love it. The typical combo of PD / TD never worked for me, because TD's don't turn unless they are thrashed, or unless you are Whiz, Discspeed, Mike C, etc.
Or jubuttib...

But seriously, gummy S-lines shouldn't require too much power to turn them. Stiffer ones are another story though.

This reminds me that I need to pick up a softer S... the only TD I own/have thrown is a stiff red S I bought not long after the mold debuted. It is fantastic for me as a straight driver, but I don't really see enough turn to even think about replacing my RRs with it.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Most of last year I used 2 champ teebirds, 1 star valk, and 1 z predator. The teebirds where straight and the valk was nice and flippy. The pred did its thing. However, this is the one area of my bag I never felt comfortable with. The predator would get the most use in tournaments with the valk coming out every once in a while. The teebird was always the disc I would pull out and then decide to either use a buzzz or power down a surge.

I also tried out some pd's, eagles, a stalker, and a leopard. Nothing really stuck though.

This next season I am actually thinking of trying the C PD, S PD, P PD combo to maybe replace surges, and all fairways. If this doesn't work out I have a feeling it will just be a preds and valks. Ill then just pretend that a buzzz is a fairway driver.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby steven » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 am

can someone contrast the QPLS and the Z-Stalker? i am looking at both around 168 for a disc longer than my rocs and shorter than my pds.
thanks
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby discspeed » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:40 am

steven wrote:can someone contrast the QPLS and the Z-Stalker? i am looking at both around 168 for a disc longer than my rocs and shorter than my pds.
thanks

The QPLS is much more workable as it can turn and come back. The Stalker is single minded in it's directionality. It just wants to fly straight or straight with more fade (hyzer release). It doesn't glide much. I strongly prefer the QPLS, despite having thrown it a good deal less than the Stalker.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby kern9787 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

discspeed wrote:The QPLS is much more workable as it can turn and come back. The Stalker is single minded in it's directionality. It just wants to fly straight or straight with more fade (hyzer release). It doesn't glide much. I strongly prefer the QPLS, despite having thrown it a good deal less than the Stalker.

Agreed. Marshall street still has some of the 2003's in the weight range you are looking for.

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/p ... Bar-Stamp/

That would be the one to go with, imo.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment