Predator / PD overlap?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Predator / PD overlap?

Postby Apathy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 pm

This slot is used for tunnel flex shots, fh rollers, headwind, skip shots and every form of hyzer

Any real reason to carry both, can the PD handle all these duties as reliably?
Apathy
Tree Magnet

Re: Predator / PD overlap?

Postby JR » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:33 pm

The beefiest C PDs probably overlap quite a bit.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm

There is a lot of PD/Pred overlap as the Pred in general is one of the most versatile and least overstable of the overstable drivers, and the PD is one of the most versatile and overstable straight drivers. I like pairing the PD with a flat FB or XXX for minimal overlap. When I used Preds I paired them with DGA proline Tsunamis as as they are basically less stable versions of the Pred.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby what'shisname » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm

discspeed wrote:There is a lot of PD/Pred overlap as the Pred in general is one of the most versatile and least overstable of the overstable drivers, and the PD is one of the most versatile and overstable straight drivers. I like pairing the PD with a flat FB or XXX for minimal overlap. When I used Preds I paired them with DGA proline Tsunamis as as they are basically less stable versions of the Pred.

Just curious about the PD/FB or XXX pairing... What kind of shots would you use the FB or XXX for if you already had a CFR PD in the bag?
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JHern » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Preface: I've never thrown a C-PD. But I've thrown the S-PD and P-PD a great deal...

The PD seems like a longer Teebird to me. Not over-stable at all. Hardly any hyzer/fade. And when it beats in, a great turning utility driver.

The PD is a lot faster disc than the Predator. A Predator is a fairway driver, the PD is more like a straighter version of the Valkyrie and with similar speed.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby turso » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:01 pm

what'shisname wrote:
discspeed wrote:There is a lot of PD/Pred overlap as the Pred in general is one of the most versatile and least overstable of the overstable drivers, and the PD is one of the most versatile and overstable straight drivers. I like pairing the PD with a flat FB or XXX for minimal overlap. When I used Preds I paired them with DGA proline Tsunamis as as they are basically less stable versions of the Pred.

Just curious about the PD/FB or XXX pairing... What kind of shots would you use the FB or XXX for if you already had a CFR PD in the bag?

CFR PD isn't even close in overstability with XXX and I guess FB is pretty overstable too when you look for one. For me at least XXX is more of a utility shot disc than anything else, haven't yet seen a wind strong enough to make me use it off the tee.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby discspeed » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:24 pm

what'shisname wrote:

Good question. I went about a year with only CFR PDs in my bag for overstable duties, so it can be done. I did suffer in some areas though...The CFR PDs just don't do spike shots like a FB or XXX. As overstable as the CFRs are, they simply fade later than those other two. I also strongly prefer the FB/XXX for hard turning/skipping approach shots. The CFR PDs don't skip much for an overstable disc. They also won't pull out of an anny release (even at low speeds) like the FB/XXX.

Currently I have a broken in CFR CPD that I've got over a year of heavy use with. It is still more overstable than most PDs, but is much more workable. It is awesome in the wind because of it's low profile and lack of glide. It pairs perfect with something like a FB or XXX because it overlaps less than a new CFR CPD....It can also fly up to 350' on a frozen rope in almost any headwind, and on these shots it barely fades. It's just flat from start to finish.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 pm

JHern wrote:Preface: I've never thrown a C-PD. But I've thrown the S-PD and P-PD a great deal...

The PD seems like a longer Teebird to me. Not over-stable at all. Hardly any hyzer/fade. And when it beats in, a great turning utility driver.

The PD is a lot faster disc than the Predator. A Predator is a fairway driver, the PD is more like a straighter version of the Valkyrie and with similar speed.
There are many kinds of PD's in the world. The straight ones are very nice and I usually have two in my bag. The straightest ones are probably the yellow champystars, followed by the red champystars, but there are plenty of overstable ones too (especially the yellow first runs). Those are fantastic and really beat in nice.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:36 am

jubuttib wrote:
JHern wrote:Preface: I've never thrown a C-PD. But I've thrown the S-PD and P-PD a great deal...

There are many kinds of PD's in the world. The straight ones are very nice and I usually have two in my bag. The straightest ones are probably the yellow champystars, followed by the red champystars, but there are plenty of overstable ones too (especially the yellow first runs). Those are fantastic and really beat in nice.

Very good response^^^^. Usually stiff and domey SPDs are more overstable, especially the LSS. Most of my SPDs (except the champystars) I've had in my bag have seasoned in a way that they lose HSS and retain decent LSS. A PD in this stage is probably my favorite because they power down and can fly both like TBs from a little hyzer, or like an EX if thrown flatter (equal turn and fade).

Domey CPD+ are very much like the overstable SPDs with a touch more LSS, though they glide more and this can be a negative in the wind. CFR CPDs are a whole different animal. I'm fairly certain Innova used a stabilization process when molding them so they would come out flat with a very high parting line. When new they are as HSS as anything, and quite LSS unless thrown with tremendous power (Paul McBeth parked a 460' hole into a gusty 15mph+ headwind by turning it slightly out of his hand at our tourney in Nov.).
discspeed

Postby what'shisname » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 pm

discspeed wrote:
what'shisname wrote:

Good question. I went about a year with only CFR PDs in my bag for overstable duties, so it can be done. I did suffer in some areas though...The CFR PDs just don't do spike shots like a FB or XXX. As overstable as the CFRs are, they simply fade later than those other two. I also strongly prefer the FB/XXX for hard turning/skipping approach shots. The CFR PDs don't skip much for an overstable disc. They also won't pull out of an anny release (even at low speeds) like the FB/XXX.

Currently I have a broken in CFR CPD that I've got over a year of heavy use with. It is still more overstable than most PDs, but is much more workable. It is awesome in the wind because of it's low profile and lack of glide. It pairs perfect with something like a FB or XXX because it overlaps less than a new CFR CPD....It can also fly up to 350' on a frozen rope in almost any headwind, and on these shots it barely fades. It's just flat from start to finish.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've been going without a FB/XXX in my bag forever but might just stick one back in to play with for spikes, etc. But what I really want to find is the perfect headwind distance driver to compliment my Flows.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby what'shisname » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 pm

discspeed wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

Very good response^^^^. Usually stiff and domey SPDs are more overstable, especially the LSS. Most of my SPDs (except the champystars) I've had in my bag have seasoned in a way that they lose HSS and retain decent LSS. A PD in this stage is probably my favorite because they power down and can fly both like TBs from a little hyzer, or like an EX if thrown flatter (equal turn and fade).

Domey CPD+ are very much like the overstable SPDs with a touch more LSS, though they glide more and this can be a negative in the wind. CFR CPDs are a whole different animal. I'm fairly certain Innova used a stabilization process when molding them so they would come out flat with a very high parting line. When new they are as HSS as anything, and quite LSS unless thrown with tremendous power (Paul McBeth parked a 460' hole into a gusty 15mph+ headwind by turning it slightly out of his hand at our tourney in Nov.).

The CPD+ are definitely my least favorite PD's to date. I just can't seem to hit them right and out of the 4-5 PD's that are always in my bag, I never carry the C+'s. Always have a CFR, a fresh, stiff SPD, a champy-star and 1 or 2 P's.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby abcd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

How can you tell cpds from cfr pds? Custom stamp? which ones are + molds?
Anything special to look for in the p's? color, dome, etc.
abcd
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 pm

CFR PD's are usually almost board flat, have a high PLH, a straight rim and the patent number tooling. C-PD+'s tend to be more domey, have a slanted rim and lack the patent numbers. The most recent run again has a straight rim, but has no patent number tooling and from what I've heard are mostly mildly domey and quite overstable, but not CFR overstable.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Perhaps the biggest reason I like my CPD+ is the durability. My home course (cliff stephens) has a multitude of shots that a perfect for a fresh PD hyzer shot, so when I was trying to keep an SPD in that overstable slot I was breaking them in pretty fast. I'm still on my same CPD+ now after about 8 months. It's a bit less stable than new, but still overstable enough unless there is a strong headwind...Then it's time for the CFR.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:53 pm

jubuttib wrote: The most recent run again has a straight rim, but has no patent number tooling and from what I've heard are mostly mildly domey and quite overstable, but not CFR overstable.

How is it that none of us PD-lov'n DG insiders have gotten our paws on one of these yet?
discspeed

Next

Return to Equipment