cannon and rampage

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

cannon and rampage

Postby steven » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:44 am

any reports on these? they looked like the fastest discs i had ever seen...
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Re: cannon and rampage

Postby turso » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am

They're not as awesomely fast as advertised, Rampage is fast alright, but not the fastest on the market. Even though the flight numbers differ quite a bit, they fly very similarly in top plastics.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JHern » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:59 pm

I think they are as fast as all the other max rim width drivers (Nuke, Katana, King, Halo, etc.).

What really sets them apart is that the inner rim depth is significantly greater than all the others, so they have a very unique rim feel. It all depends on how it feels in your hands. For me, I think the rims are a bit too deep and wide, but others love them.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby steven » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

looking at their profiles, they have got to be faster than those other hi-speed discs...
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby BIF13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 pm

they are faster. faster than nukes, forces, bosses and destroyers.
Z Nuke - Z Force - Z Surge - Z Avenger SS - Z Stalker - Z Wasp - Z Buzzz - ESP Meteor - ESP Comet - D Focus - D Magnet
BIF13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Nuke

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 am

They honestly didn't feel any faster than Bosses, about on par with the. The Pinnacle Rampage was pretty much a max speed Destroyer, so pretty great. The problem with them was that all of the different plastics flew nothing alike each other, and the two Icon (I think?) Cannons also were very different. Basically, depending on the plastic and PLH variation I couldn't see any real difference between the Rampage and Cannon.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

The Cannon is supposed to fly like a seasoned Rampage. I haven't had the opportunity to throw my Cannon enough to compare it with my Rampage, but I certainly plan to see what it will do. My Rampage has never become seasoned, partly because the plastic is really tough, and partly because it doesn't feel great in my hands (or I haven't figured out a grip adjustment that will work with it).

Local big arms (450'+) love the Rampage. Awesome wind disc, and reliable HSS under full power.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby AikoAdam » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:16 am

I have a few Icon Cannons, one flat and one domey. I think the flat one is faster than a nuke. Stability wise it is pretty close to a nuke. I think cannons do a flex line or a hyzer flip really well. Other throws not so much. I plan on picking up a pinnacle rampage soon so I can make some comparisons but it seems like it may be a faster destroyer. That being said I do like the cannon for the throws that it is good for. It's just not a go to distance driver for me.
I go north. The sun here burns my eyes.
AikoAdam
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Teebird

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:22 am

Threw a Cannon yesterday and it flew damn near exactly the same as my Rampage......maybe it would be different if I could throw further.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:22 am

I got a pinnacle cannon and icon rampage yesterday. Hopefully I can toss them layer today.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby turso » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Threw a Cannon yesterday and it flew damn near exactly the same as my Rampage......maybe it would be different if I could throw further.

on around 400' distance I saw no real difference in top plastic cannon and rampage flight. Gotta test it again when there's no snow on the ground to see if they differ on longer distances.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Only have a second and i'll extrapolate later, but

the icon cannon goes BOOM!
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:18 pm

So, guys. Seriously. Both of these go really long.

I have a 175 Icon Cannon and a 172 Pinnacle Rampage. The icon had a good, mild, gradual dome and the rampage had a big dome like opto flows. They were similar with the Cannon having a bit less HSS, LSS was about the same. First throw was the rampage and it went just shy of 400 that was straight with a big fade, so I figured I'd really lay into the Cannon. BOOM 473ft going about 8ft uphill. The damn thing was low and skipped forward at least 100 ft. After these throws, I was consistently getting about 430 with both rather easily. I thought it would take a perfect hit to get it going, but I was still getting decent flights on less than perfect throws. On my last throw of the day I CRUSHED a Rampage about 515 on flat ground. Got a full flex out of it and it just kept gliding and gliding. I haven't thrown this far in a long time. I was about 20ft longer than my destroyers on average.

I think I'm gonna use these ad just distance discs and keep destroyers for long golf shots. I feel I can control them better.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Threw a Cannon yesterday and it flew damn near exactly the same as my Rampage......maybe it would be different if I could throw further.

I threw 2 different Icon Cannons yesterday, one new, and one beat. The new one flies a lot like the Rampage: i.e., fast as hell and over-stable (maybe straightening out with 450'-500' power). I tried to throw a gently right turning shot, released with a little anhyzer, and the disc started hyzering right out of my hand. I ended up throwing a level flex corkscrew shot, about 400' (no skip on rough ground). So I threw the beat one, and made the adjustments (a little more height, more anhyzer) that would have gotten the newer Cannon on the desired line, but that one turned over into a roller. The beat Cannon had been thrown for a few months, the guy who owned it also throws Z Nuke and Z Nuke OS, so it isn't a huge difference in flight for him moving from the Nuke to the Cannon.

But the good news for people who don't like the Cannons because they seem too over-stable: Icon Cannons do seem to beat in straight, and then eventually yield a turn-over at 400' distance. I'm not sure how much more they beat in, or if they stay in a particular seasoned zone for a while. Only time will tell.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:37 pm

I got a blue icon cannon and thought it flew in between my z nuke and ESP nuke, closer to ESP, in terms of stability, but was 10-15' shorter around the 400'' mark. I've read there is a fair amount of stability difference between plastic colors.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Next

Return to Equipment