cannon and rampage

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: cannon and rampage

Postby JHern » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 pm

7ontheline wrote:I got a blue icon cannon and thought it flew in between my z nuke and ESP nuke, closer to ESP, in terms of stability, but was 10-15' shorter around the 400'' mark. I've read there is a fair amount of stability difference between plastic colors.

None of these discs fly max distance when new. You have to beat them a bit to get them gliding straight.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby turso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Dunno, I got 400' out of them on shitty, snowy surface. They seem very destroyer-esque to me, probably very long disc when the summer gives some traction. The two bottom plastic rampages seemed completely pointless flip machines though, plus the second to bottom plastic one was acting very unpredictable.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Chadi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Anyone have a good read on Rampages yet? Or had some experience with the different plastics/colors? (especially Pinnacle vs Icon)

I picked up an Icon Rampage for forehand/headwind shots and it doesn't seem to have the over stability I remembered from test throwing the Pinnacle plastic.
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Chadi wrote:Or had some experience with the different plastics/colors? (especially Pinnacle vs Icon)
I only have one example of both, but here goes. The Pinnacle is flatter, faster, more overstable, looks much better, grip is about the best I've seen in a premium plastic disc. The Icon isn't really hugely less stable, but noticeably, and seems to glide a tad better due to the dome. Not as grippy as the Pinnacle.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I had too limited traction for the power requirement of these big boy discs. Still they flew ok. I had an easy to flip 150 Bliz Champ Katana as an unfair comparison. The Katana flew farther with way less power requirement and naturally way more flip. Not having normal Bosses or Destroyers and the like of main stream long fast discs to compare i couldn't say if these differed significantly. I'm sure i couldn't power the Bosses and Destros from that lie either. I imagine that the Cannon in Icon wouldn't differ a lot from the Boss and the skips seemed to be quite similar. Icon Rampage has a fairly sharp feeling bottom. It is easy to turn but the turn ain't uncontrollable even on low lines and it will come back always with too much fade to get the distance that is available from the speed and the glide. Not flying flat in the end throws away the benefit of the good glide when flat.

I didn't have normal discs with me to compare the speed of these but these low 170s Legacy discs didn't fly nearly as fast as the over 20 grams lighter Katana. From memory of regular discs at similar weights i wouldn't rate the Cannon or the Rampage speed 14 on Innova scale. 13 and parity with the Boss and other 13s from Innova and a Nuke are more like it. I didn't carry a Z Nuke to test against but with the poor traction it is estimation business and the Rampage wasn't far away at all from the Z Nukes i have with the lie accounted for. So not bad at all except Nukes come in fairly similar flight at least down to 161.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 am

Protege plastic does not take kindly to being driven into a soccer goal post at 180'. The edge bent down and had a reverse image of the rear post so the area was over about an inch wide. Icon gets easily damaged on asphalt -not recommended for that.

What a difference traction makes for these discs! Speed stability defined. Now they flip easily to the point of too easily for many roles if one wants safety margin. I didn't get more than one or two rear wind drives today but headwinds were crazy. I've never seen as hard a wind rape as the protege Rampage got before the post collision. The Cannon was only a little better with neither being candidates for straight or predictable flight. The glide and speed of the Rampage seemed impressive so they have potential in calmer weather with uninterrupted flight. I look forward to giving them a rip in calm weather now that there is traction in a sport field near me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Star Shark » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Just so you know, the boys have been reformulating the Protege plastic for drivers and have arrived at a good blend. The current Protege plastic will be reserved for putters and mids. Basically, think of it like KC pro vs driver pro. Also, their new Gravity line plastic is a softer pro more like JK.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:09 pm

The original Protege on the Rampage seems way less durable than driver pro let alone the KC pro. The grip of the Protege is better than pro thanks to the tackiness.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby victorb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:08 am

The pinnacle rampage that I tried out was very fast, but really dropped out of the air when the fade kicked in. About the same distance I was getting my new star boss to (just over 400' consistently) but the boss seemed to penetrate forward more at the end of it's flight. If the pinnacle beats out the LSS fast, it could be a crazy long disc.

Wasn't that impressed with the pinnacle cannon I tried. Feels like it has too much high speed turn for me to throw consistently. Too often I turned it and didn't get enough height on it to work back. Lost a lot of potential distance.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Peximan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 am

WTF!!!!??? I've got icon Cannon and it was great fast disc. Now I don't what happened, dome of the disc became somekind of "anti"dome, so middle section of upper disc is down. Disc became WAY more flippier than it was before. Sides of rim are good condition, is there anyway to fix this problem?
Peximan
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beast

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 am

Peximan wrote:WTF!!!!??? I've got icon Cannon and it was great fast disc. Now I don't what happened, dome of the disc became somekind of "anti"dome, so middle section of upper disc is down. Disc became WAY more flippier than it was before. Sides of rim are good condition, is there anyway to fix this problem?
Turn the disc upside down and prop it around the edge (easiest way is to put it on a cooking pot upside down), and pour boiling water into the "bowl". If that doesn't do it by itself, push the flight plate out with something. After that rinse with very cold water and preferable put it into a freezer to set.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Peximan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:42 am

jubuttib wrote:
Peximan wrote:WTF!!!!??? I've got icon Cannon and it was great fast disc. Now I don't what happened, dome of the disc became somekind of "anti"dome, so middle section of upper disc is down. Disc became WAY more flippier than it was before. Sides of rim are good condition, is there anyway to fix this problem?
Turn the disc upside down and prop it around the edge (easiest way is to put it on a cooking pot upside down), and pour boiling water into the "bowl". If that doesn't do it by itself, push the flight plate out with something. After that rinse with very cold water and preferable put it into a freezer to set.

Thanks! I will try that!
Peximan
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beast

Postby Chadi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 pm

I picked up a red, max weight, flat top Pinnacle Rampage and it is exactly what I was looking for. I can work distance out of it in a headwind without losing control and trust it to not get carried away. It's very good at carrying long hyzer lines and forehand flex shots. I think the speed does live up to the hype but it has a lot of LSS so don't expect it to out drive Bosses or Nukes.
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment