Overhand Disc Selection

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overhand Disc Selection

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm in need of a new overhand disc. Nothing OOP or rare. I know the obvious candidates are 11x Firebirds, flat Glo Firebirds, xXx's, Preds, PD's, etc.

What do you guys reach for when it comes to tight overhand shots? For wide-turning overhand shots? And is max weight pretty much a necessity, or would a lighter disc (160-170) be easier to use?
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Overhand Disc Selection

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I really like using pearly champ monsters for my overhands. Another good disc is the flick, and you can get those in 150 class too and they still work good.
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby turso » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I use Nuke OS for tight lines I need distance out of, XXX when I need to work the line.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Does the wide rim of a Nuke make it harder to learn overhand shots?

And xXx's are workable? I was under the impression that they have one of the tightest lines on thumbers.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby turso » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:16 pm

If I throw the XXX a bit open it'll do a pretty wide flight path, plus it wants to do a pretty hard turn at the end of the flight no matter how you throw it.

Overhand shots are pretty much like throwing a ball anyhow so the learning curve shouldn't be steep no matter what disc you'll use. The OS Nuke at least fits my hand well for that purpose. Main thing to watch out for here is the wrist roll as well, finding a grip you're comfortable with and then just start experimenting with different heights.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby money 21 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:55 pm

i throw tridents for distance and it needs a wide flight. for tighter turns i use my z tracker and for real tight turns i use a z xs. flicks, banshees, speed demons and max's also work well.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Eagles/OLFs but anything like that will work for your tight controlled shots like your PD.

For big thumbers I use lighter Glow FBs. the 166-168 ones are easier to throw and are just as stable.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby new013 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:51 am

I've been throwing a Surge lately... but it's no ordinary Surge. It's a super surge
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:09 am

S-TD for tighter flips, Premium JOKERi for huge slow turning lines, C and S-PD for everything in between.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:01 am

So what's the general rule of thumb for stability related to the lines you can throw?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mike C » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I pretty much only OH 3 discs.

XXX - max D and I have absolutely no shot and am just throwing some shit out of the woods type shots.
QOLF - Tighter, shorter, but still pretty long OH shots. Very accurate and easy to place, most thrown disc for longer OH shots.
Ion - Approach distance OH shots, especially ones that just turn a bit then land upside down.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Mike, or anyone, have you used Roadrunners? I threw a few today and found that they flip really fast and drop straight down at the end. Whereas stable molds tended to kick right (thumbers) or left (tommy) at the end of their flight.

I never had much luck in getting D with my thumbers. My flat C PD never seemed to carry much distance. It always seemed to become really nose-angle sensitive and stall out way too soon. My Roadrunners seemed to flip on their back faster and glide forward before dropping straight down. My Wraiths were similar, but would go further and kick a tiny bit left or right. I never thought of using an understable or even stable mold before, but I might make it a part of my game now. I always thought you were supposed to use stupid-overstable stuff for overhand.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I never had much luck in getting D with my thumbers. My flat C PD never seemed to carry much distance. It always seemed to become really nose-angle sensitive and stall out way too soon.
Sounds like you're throwing it too high.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 pm

yeah you are releasing the disc too early
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby kern9787 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Mike, or anyone, have you used Roadrunners? I threw a few today and found that they flip really fast and drop straight down at the end. Whereas stable molds tended to kick right (thumbers) or left (tommy) at the end of their flight.

Something a lot of people (myself included) overlook regarding overhand shots is the usefulness of less stable discs. A more overstable disc has more distance potential, but typically requires a wider flight path. You will lose disctance with less stable discs, but as you noticed, they turn quicker and stall quicker, typically dropping pretty much straight down (in my experience at least). You just want to avoid really understable stuff, as you run the potential risk of barrel rolling (the only thing aerobie epics are good at doing).
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment