Overhand Disc Selection

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Overhand Disc Selection

Postby jsun3thousand » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 am

slow and stable wins the race with thumbers. disc angle, height, and the amount of snap on the release are important to line shaping and distance potential.

look at the angle shewby releases his disc at to get it go that far right.

or how he skips it off the water.

monty koz talks about variations in thumbers ~ 2:05. at ~7:40 angle of release is discussed by mark ellis and scott papa.

Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby jubuttib » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:43 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Mike, or anyone, have you used Roadrunners? I threw a few today and found that they flip really fast and drop straight down at the end. Whereas stable molds tended to kick right (thumbers) or left (tommy) at the end of their flight.
You'll notice I throw the S-TD, which is a modified Roadrunner. It is indeed great for shorter distances or straighter lines.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby cmroorda » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:59 am

IMHO, nothing beats a z predator for overhand shots. Stable, durable, predictable and consistent. Works great for both tomahawks and thumbers. Nothing better then a z predator!
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Postby BrohanSolo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 am

I feel like all the discs mentioned are great discs for overhanding depending on your throw, everyone has different niches (I love my beat in XXX). If you know how a disc throws, you should be able to discover how it flies at different angles. I can throw overhand a whole course, it is just learning how to shape your throws by changing the angle of your wrist as well as your throwing angle to make the disc do different things both in the air (wide right or left, tight turns) and when it lands (roll, skip, flop).
Athletes Train Movements, Not Muscles; you have to carry the engine.
BrohanSolo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Force

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for the videos. I'll start working on getting a later release and playing with different angles.

So let me get this straight - slower, overstable stuff wins for distance while understable stuff wins at shorter, straight shots.

This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same. So I picked up a 175 Champ Firechicken to try out. It's softer, pretty much flat (almost), and roughly has the same PLH as my flat C PD. Oh and it has 2 dents on the flight plate that seem like they wont come out, but I got it for a discount...and figure it won't change the flight.

Is this a good option? Or should I return it before I throw it and find something else?

Image Image
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kern9787 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I doubt the dents affect much. And for the record, comparing PLH between different molds means absolutely nothing. PLH is accurate within the context of a single mold only.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

kern9787 wrote:I doubt the dents affect much. And for the record, comparing PLH between different molds means absolutely nothing. PLH is accurate within the context of a single mold only.

True, but they share the same bottom piece on the mold, so I thought it would be somewhat relevant.

Is this a good option for OH stuff? Trying to decide, so if it's not I can return it.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Throw it and find out.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 pm

The top has a lot to do with the PLH not sure about the effect of the bottom of the disc on the PLH. Little plastic in the flight plate makes the disc top taut as a drum and flat pulling the PLH up. Comparing a Star Katana to a Pro shows that effect well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm

JR wrote:The top has a lot to do with the PLH not sure about the effect of the bottom of the disc on the PLH. Little plastic in the flight plate makes the disc top taut as a drum and flat pulling the PLH up. Comparing a Star Katana to a Pro shows that effect well.

That does make sense.

When I first got that C PD, it was beefy as mess and the PLH was higher. Now it's lower, and this new FB has a similar PLH, which makes me wonder if this FB isn't as beefy as I would like. But I understand that this isn't the way to tell.

fanter wrote:Throw it and find out.

Great idea! :wink:

I picked it up and hoped you guys could give me some insight. If you guys think I should look for another disc instead of this one, I would like to return it...but I can't once I throw it.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same.
You flattened it? So it wasn't a flat CFR C-PD to begin with?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:This might seem hard to believe, but my flat C PD holds annys for a really long time, sucks in the wind, and turns really fast on OH shots. I flattened it a few months ago when it started to pick up some dome after getting pretty beat-up...doesn't fly the same.
You flattened it? So it wasn't a flat CFR C-PD to begin with?

No, it was flat...or at least very very close. And the PLH was really high compared norma C PD+. But not a CFR.

PS - totally kidding in my last post, lots of sarcasm there
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Did it have the patent numbers? If it did then it's from the CFR run despite what the stamp would say, and should have been nice and overstable and relatively slow flipping when thrown OH. But then again trying to flatten a disc (when there's heat involved) can do many many things. For one it releases the tension in the plastic (I tried playing around with the dome on one of my Axes, it went from fairly stiff to almost floppy and the flight was completely different) and can alter a great many things about the shape.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby new013 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 pm

that skip video is awesome, i've never seen somebody thumber skip a disc like that. they pulled 100+ discs out of the water at that course this week after the tourney. people were turning over FBs, Xcals, Bosses on the lake holes.

what discs finish with hard hard right skips more often? my FB gets more of a skip than the Surge I'm throwing but I can chuck the Surge much farther.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 am

jubuttib wrote:Did it have the patent numbers? If it did then it's from the CFR run despite what the stamp would say, and should have been nice and overstable and relatively slow flipping when thrown OH. But then again trying to flatten a disc (when there's heat involved) can do many many things. For one it releases the tension in the plastic (I tried playing around with the dome on one of my Axes, it went from fairly stiff to almost floppy and the flight was completely different) and can alter a great many things about the shape.

Yeah I think that's what happened. That'll probably be the last disc I flatten. It really didn't need it. I was just seeing if I could take out the tiny bit of dome and make it flat as a board.

Oh and I had people telling me it was a 3rd run and others said CFR...but it does have patent numbers.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment