TEEBIRD Varieties?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

TEEBIRD Varieties?

Postby La Flama Blanca » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Well before I get accused of not doing a proper thread search, I have went through all the threads pertaining to Teebirds and really haven't found the answer I am looking for. So, sorry if this is redundant of another post, but I am tired of searching...

So, I have been FH/OH (350' to 390' avg.) dominate in my driving for several years now since I started playing. This year I am finally going to commit to improving my BH, and using it as often as possible for driving duties instead of just with my mids and putters. I know practicing technique with mids and especially putters is the best way to improve my form...blah, blah, but I can't be throwing an Aviar off the tee on a 300' hole in actual game play, thus my need for a BH fairway driver. When driving BH, I currently throw a C-TD, S-TD, P-PD and S-TD... I am starting to think these may be a tad too fast for me to achieve any distance until I can increase my power and improve form. So, I am looking at getting a few Teebirds to throw in the bag. I want to add a Teebird and a TL to compliment it...

My options are:
Teebird (any plastic)
Teebird+ (champ)
TL (star)
TL+ (champ)

I don't really have a preference but am curious how the +molds flight differs from non+molds, and what plastic/rim do you prefer in both the TB and TL?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... Please help me make up my mind so I don't have to buy 10 discs to figure it out.
La Flama Blanca
Noob

Favorite Disc: D-P2

Re: TEEBIRD Varieties?

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

My favorite teebird variety is the Eagle.

Seriously though, get a couple of different ones in a few plastics and test them out. I think the champ TL probably won't fit your bag too well as you can make a C-TD do every shot the champ TL does. Star teebirds are super versatile and of course DX teebirds are the bomb. I know plenty of people who like the glow champ teebird+ since they are less stable than normal champ teebirds and are easier to throw when new.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby La Flama Blanca » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks Frank. Isn't the C-TD roughly two steps up in speed from the TB or TL though? My main concern is that I am maybe not getting the PDs/TDs up to cruising speed thus losing a ton of potential distance... This is the reason I am looking at adding a TB and TL because they are a tad slower.
La Flama Blanca
Noob

Postby inthedrift » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Try out some DX Gazelles. They are great fairway drivers and will help you improve your BH technique.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 pm

The C-TD is faster but powers down pretty well. Anyway yeah get some DX teebirds and maybe a star teebird and TL.
Frank Delicious

Postby turso » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:52 pm

I do think DX Teebird is the Teebird to go for, they're ssssweeeeeet.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JHern » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 pm

inthedrift wrote:Try out some DX Gazelles. They are great fairway drivers and will help you improve your BH technique.

Exactly. Pair it with a DX Leopard, and you'll be set for awhile.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby victorb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 am

Frank Delicious wrote:get some DX teebirds and maybe a star teebird

this is exactly what I'd recommend too. base plastic cannot be undervalued in molds like the teebird. star tbs are really nice too, and beat in a little better than the champ plastics.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby La Flama Blanca » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Not a fan of DX plastic for drivers, but I will give one a shot. What's everyone's take on the plus mold? I know it's just the slanted rim, but does it change flight characteristics? Which rim type is preferred, or is it just a matter of personal preference?
La Flama Blanca
Noob

Postby victorb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 pm

the teebird was made for dx plastic, and flies and holds up very well.

I personally don't throw anything with the plus rim, it doesn't allow me to grip the disc properly and the disc slips out early more often than not. I think it is intended to make the disc more gyroscopic by placing more weight on the outer rim. I couldn't tell a difference in stability between a tb and tb+ because I couldn't get a good release.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 pm

I think the + rim is personal preference. You either like it or don't.
Frank Delicious

Postby UnitedPuppySlayer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

This is just a personal observation/opinion, but I feel that the + mold adds stability to it. My TL+ is pretty damn stable if you ask me. I have a TB+ on the way too. I'm hoping it's just as stable so I can replace my 11x molds with a current run so I don't have to spend as much time and money finding a replacement.
UnitedPuppySlayer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby AikoAdam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 am

I like Star TeeBirds over the champ for (as said above) versatility and how they beat in. If you don't like the dx (which are great for tb's) I would go Star.
I go north. The sun here burns my eyes.
AikoAdam
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Teebird

Postby JHern » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:09 pm

The TB+ mold was designed to reproduce the shape that some of the most over-stable TBs had when they came out of the press. For example, some of the glow champ TBs came out this way a couple years back. People liked these a great deal, since they begin over-stable and then beat in straighter and straighter with time.

For somebody with slower arm speed, I think the TB is still too fast, and the TB+ is too over-stable.

I would seriously suggest getting a Leopard or similar, something you can learn to turn and shape lines with BH.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jubuttib » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:58 pm

JHern wrote:The TB+ mold was designed to reproduce the shape that some of the most over-stable TBs had when they came out of the press. For example, some of the glow champ TBs came out this way a couple years back. People liked these a great deal, since they begin over-stable and then beat in straighter and straighter with time.

For somebody with slower arm speed, I think the TB is still too fast, and the TB+ is too over-stable.

I would seriously suggest getting a Leopard or similar, something you can learn to turn and shape lines with BH.
I thought the reason was because Dave D. liked a thicker, beefier grip, and that the +mold allowed them to add volume to the mold without changing the official specs, so that they could mold max weight discs with less weighting agent and produce clearer discs.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment