King Cobra and Super Stingray

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 am

Has anyone got any of these and thrown them? The King Cobra looks pretty interesting

http://www.final9sports.com/store/custo ... oductid=84

http://www.final9sports.com/store/custo ... cat=&page=
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I am going to have to agree with the king cobra sounding interesting. Someone throw one!
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler
User avatar
 
Posts: 2397
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:50 pm
Location: Land of the Cheese
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby kern9787 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:09 pm

King Cobra sounds like what I really want an MD2 to be (not that I'm not loving the MD2 right now) in that it is lower profile (read: should be less effected by winds) with similar stability.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm playing that tournament in OV next weekend...definitely interested in these discs, if they still have some around when I arrive.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Yeah, King Cobra is relevant to my interests
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby x-out » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:31 pm

king cobra is a fantastic disc. this is coming from someone who doesn't like shallow type discs (katana, cobra, wedge, etc.). i liked the disc a lot and wanted to love it, but in the end it wasn't for me.

what it does:
it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.

why it wont make the bag:
i just love my rocs too much. on paper it was what i wanted...something faster than a roc and still roc-ish, but it just wasn't for me. i guess i need a super slow driver and not a mid range.

p.s. the fd isn't the magical disc to fill the slot im looking for. i'm in the fd fan club. i have a s-line&c-line in the bag and i doubt they will ever leave. in all honesty the fd is too long even though it powers down well. i need a slower fd, gazelle, or something that doesn't exist yet. with that disc i think i would finally have a complete bag.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:30 pm

x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc...it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.


In other words, a Buzzz...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby kern9787 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm

How does it hold up in the wind?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am
Location: Abilene, Tx

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am

JHern wrote:
x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc...it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.


In other words, a Buzzz...


I actually got to throw a king cobra today and it's not like a buzz, at least not for me. It throws a lot like a MD2 that handles wind better. It threw like the old champ cobras I use to use as my mid.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:58 pm

x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc. this is coming from someone who doesn't like shallow type discs (katana, cobra, wedge, etc.). i liked the disc a lot and wanted to love it, but in the end it wasn't for me.

what it does:
it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.

why it wont make the bag:
i just love my rocs too much. on paper it was what i wanted...something faster than a roc and still roc-ish, but it just wasn't for me. i guess i need a super slow driver and not a mid range.

p.s. the fd isn't the magical disc to fill the slot im looking for. i'm in the fd fan club. i have a s-line&c-line in the bag and i doubt they will ever leave. in all honesty the fd is too long even though it powers down well. i need a slower fd, gazelle, or something that doesn't exist yet. with that disc i think i would finally have a complete bag.


Leopard?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
JHern wrote:
x-out wrote:king cobra is a fantastic disc...it is a faster KC Roc with a tick less fade. it holds the line you put it on and has the HSS to not move much L-R (RHBH). it is capable of great distance on low and high lines.


In other words, a Buzzz...


I actually got to throw a king cobra today and it's not like a buzz, at least not for me. It throws a lot like a MD2 that handles wind better. It threw like the old champ cobras I use to use as my mid.


Which kind of MD2? A domey stiff C MD2 is worse in the wind than a Z Buzzz. Jub preaches about the flatter gummy C MD2s handling wind great and not fading as much and too early like the domier kind. Which mid has a similar LSS to the King Cobra and where does the HSS land in comparison to the Z Buzzz and different MD2s?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby x-out » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:38 pm

JR wrote:Leopard?


i forced myself to carry a leopard for half a season, but it never felt natural. the grip wasn't comfortable and it was slightly too understable for what i wanted.

it might be time to test out a couple different types of gazelles again. i was using old candy and different years of dx. maybe the new pro or star gazelles might do the trick.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:42 pm

There is the legendary Cheetah in between the Leo and the Gaz. It is way more HSS than the Leo when new and fades a little less than the Gaz. The HSS will drop close to Leo levels eventually but the LSS will be higher so it will pull out of annies more reliably than the Leo. IIRC the Cheetah is a little thinner in height than the Leo. An MJLS could work too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby CatPredator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:44 pm

x-out wrote:
JR wrote:Leopard?


i forced myself to carry a leopard for half a season, but it never felt natural. the grip wasn't comfortable and it was slightly too understable for what i wanted.

it might be time to test out a couple different types of gazelles again. i was using old candy and different years of dx. maybe the new pro or star gazelles might do the trick.


Stalker? Beaded and big diameter.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Favorite Disc: Aviars

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm

JR wrote:A domey stiff C MD2 is worse in the wind than a Z Buzzz.
Really? The domey C-Lines I've thrown were bad in the wind, yes, but just because they slow down even faster into a headwind, and get pushed around a bit in a sidewind. They don't turn any more than the flats (from what I've seen), whereas just about every Z Buzzz apart from the Glo have some turn even in calm conditions.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests