got some new challengers. few ?'s

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

got some new challengers. few ?'s

Postby phatbeater » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Hey guys. i got a few new challengers and i have a few questions. both of them are the same color and the same weight. i like how they feel BUT both of them have a dipped in top and the flx challenger that i have is a flat top. can anyone please tell me if they are supposed to be concave or is this a manufacturer error. thanks for lookin guys. i eagerly await someones reply.
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
Mid-range: 178g FLX, Z, TI buzzz, 177g z wasp, 177 flx drone, 177g meteor
Putter: 175g flx challenger, 2x175g softapx, 2x175 pro-d challenger
phatbeater
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft buzzz

Re: got some new challengers. few ?'s

Postby jubuttib » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Just normal run variation, it happens. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby phatbeater » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. so the challengers are meant to be concave? I actually dont mind the concave. Just kinda worried about flight characteristics
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
phatbeater
Noob

Postby turso » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Pretty sure they're meant to be flat, but concaves aren't rare at all, and I like my soft-x's concave top.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby phatbeater » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Alright cool. that puts me a bit more at ease. i def like how they feel with the concave in it. :| can u tell me if they r more overstable because or just more wind resistant in general? Like i said before i have the flx one and i like it but it def. isnt as os as the prod or xline ones. I love dc a lot thats all i throw. This is just a first. but on the other hand it will be nice to have something that noone else will have lol.
phatbeater
Noob

Postby turso » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I've had concave that are below the rated stability, and some that are over. Don't think you can make a correlation to stability how concave/flat/domey it is. Usually the FLX are at least as stable as the soft-x's, and in my experience the FLX ones glide awesomely. Problem with putters is that it's very hard to distinguish where the PLH lies.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:20 pm

phatbeater wrote:Hey guys. i got a few new challengers and i have a few questions. both of them are the same color and the same weight. i like how they feel BUT both of them have a dipped in top and the flx challenger that i have is a flat top. can anyone please tell me if they are supposed to be concave or is this a manufacturer error. thanks for lookin guys. i eagerly await someones reply.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to flight plates. Some are domey, some are flat and some are concave. As a disc ages with use the flight plate tends to dip, so a flat top becomes concave. The only important question is your preference. For putters more than any other disc, if it feels good in your hands then it is a good disc. If a putter feels great then it will be (unless your head/psyche gets in the way).

Personally all my putters need to be at least slightly concave. They fit better in my hand and I love them that way. But I know very fine players who like domey putters too.

The flight path of putters varies less from run to run (and colors, weights and plastic blends) than other discs. The blunter rimmed discs (putters) are more more consistent than sharper rims (drivers) across the board. So whatever slight variations in flight paths you may find in your favorite putters are easily learned and adapted to.

Never feel bad or apologize if your preferences are different than your buddies. The best answer is winning the round.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby AbelRod » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:54 pm

they have to compete with the yeti
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Postby phatbeater » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:05 am

Alright guys thanks for the input. I've been putting with them quite a bit today and the verdict is that they are sick. they seem to be slightly more brickish then the others that i have thrown and have been way better in the wind then my flx one. I like how beefy it is and the plastic feels great. it kinda reminds me of a slightly more overstable banger since it is concave but more comfortable to me. thanks Dr. ellis for yet another class on your wisdom lol. i was moreso worried about reaaaaally getting used to my discs and someday down the line losing them and wanting to replace them and not being able to find putters that are like mine. Thats why i dont like to buy rare runs of discs like the z zone or flx z meteors. But that being said i'll be happy with these for the time being:)
phatbeater
Noob

Return to Equipment