Valkyrie Plus vs. Old

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Valkyrie Plus vs. Old

Postby ashley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:04 pm

So, in the last month. I have picked up several Valkyries. I now have 8 new ones. 4 are good ol' valks, 4 have plus rims. I have only had the chance to throw one of the plus molds so far, and it is much more stable than a regular Valk. Is this the new route they are going with these? I also noticed that according to disc golf center, a valk plus doesn't exist.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Re: Valkyrie Plus vs. Old

Postby JR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Innova mistakes do. I haven't thrown plus Valks but in PDs some pluses are way more overstable than regulars. I have a Big D fundraiser Ontario Star Roc+ that is around DX Ranchero in stability so the plus versions can get more overstable. I heard the first plus Teebirds were more like slow Firebirds being horribly more OS than regular Teebirds. I have no personal experience of plus molds as i try to avoid them like plaque but from hearsay some individual discs are a hair less HSS than regulars so there is a lot of variation. And i have no clue about any individual molds being farther off or closer to regulars in general.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 am

I don't know if that's the direction they are going but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

The main theory of the plus mold is to distribute more of the disc weight towards the rim of the disc, increasing gyroscopic tendencies of the mold and as a side effect making the discs fly a bit more stable.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Wyno » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 am

victorb wrote:I don't know if that's the direction they are going but I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

The main theory of the plus mold is to distribute more of the disc weight towards the rim of the disc, increasing gyroscopic tendencies of the mold and as a side effect making the discs fly a bit more stable.

I seem to remember someone quoting Dave Dunipace saying that a more comfortable grip and a more consistent release was the point, but the weight distribution would change as well, that's true. Some people (Jhern) would claim that such a small change would be unnoticeable in flight, though.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 am

Every little bit helps.

Additionally he said that for Teebirds etc., it helps them run max weight discs clearer, due to the +mold adding volume.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby ashley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Had a chance to throw one of the lighter ones today(162) It was a little more stable than my other 162's but it wasn't as much as the 167. I actually liked the way it flew. My hubby threw it once, and was able to throw it 350' on a good line without much fade left or right. It was a tad more stable for me, but when I was able to get a good runup was pretty close to 300'.

I think the 162 will be very nice, where the 167 will need to be broken in quite a bit. The 167 throws more like my light orcs than a valk.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:29 am

I don't know what the percentage of ladies throwing to around 300' is but i think it is a fairly low percentage. Good job!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 am

What plastic are these Valks in?
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby swel304 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 am

I throw one of the new +rim pro valks @ 168 (from what I understand ALL current run pro valks are +rim), and while i don't hate the plus rim I still prefer a normal rim. It does feel comfortable in a resting grip but through the rip it seems to slip out of my hand just a tad early on most drives. That said it is very forgiving because I still getting pretty solid controlled drives with it even when I get a little slip. Other than that I personally do not see anything different about it than my other valks in that weight range, possibly a little more glide. My guess would be that people who would say they are more stable might be having trouble holding on to the slanted rim long enough when comparing it side by side to a regular valk, but it's hard to say since it could effect each mold in a different way and isn't supposed to make any difference at all according to the manufacturer. Mine is also beating in rather quickly which could be skewing my opinion of it's flight further. I can toss it about 330'-360' depending on the day FWIW.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Return to Equipment