Postby Fenrir » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

I'd say PD or pred in the 165-170 range
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Re: Recommendations for discs to throw into the wind

Postby money 21 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:16 pm

tsunami is a great wind disc and is about the same speed as a valk. tridents hold in thne wind as well. just a couple no one has mentioned.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JHern » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:31 am

CatPredator wrote:Cool people don't like the Buzzz anymore...

Depends on your definition of "cool."

CatPredator wrote:...They work great in the wind if you have clean technique, but then every disc does. Also, you need to give the Buzzz a little hyzer if you expect it to fly straight into strong headwinds. It's going to flip a few degrees on hard throws into stiff winds.

Maybe you're right. Luckily for me, I get zero degrees flip on the Buzzz with the way I throw it. Perfect high speed stability, perfect low speed stability. And absolutely no fade (apart from stalls, but those don't really count).

Any disc that has a tendency to hyzer out is always more complicated to throw in the wind. For RHBH, if there is any R->L wind, the bottom of the disc will be exposed (causing it to float too much at the end of its flight and risk being blown way off track). If there is any L->R wind, then the top of the disc is exposed (and the disc will get pushed down and may leave you short of the pin). A Buzzz thrown perfectly flat and with the right power simply goes perfectly straight in any wind condition (head, tail, R, L, etc.), and you don't have to worry if the wind is different at the pin than at the tee (which is generally the case).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby harkerj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:40 am

Thanks so much for the feedback and even more for the informative replies. I've built up some spouse points of late, so maybe I'll go on a shopping spree!
harkerj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Monarch

Postby JHern » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:43 am

harkerj wrote:Thanks so much for the feedback and even more for the informative replies. I've built up some spouse points of late, so maybe I'll go on a shopping spree!

Do it while you can!!!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 am

JHern wrote:

CatPredator wrote:...They work great in the wind if you have clean technique, but then every disc does. Also, you need to give the Buzzz a little hyzer if you expect it to fly straight into strong headwinds. It's going to flip a few degrees on hard throws into stiff winds.

Maybe you're right. Luckily for me, I get zero degrees flip on the Buzzz with the way I throw it. Perfect high speed stability, perfect low speed stability. And absolutely no fade (apart from stalls, but those don't really count).

Any disc that has a tendency to hyzer out is always more complicated to throw in the wind. For RHBH, if there is any R->L wind, the bottom of the disc will be exposed (causing it to float too much at the end of its flight and risk being blown way off track). If there is any L->R wind, then the top of the disc is exposed (and the disc will get pushed down and may leave you short of the pin). A Buzzz thrown perfectly flat and with the right power simply goes perfectly straight in any wind condition (head, tail, R, L, etc.), and you don't have to worry if the wind is different at the pin than at the tee (which is generally the case).

As long as you get a good one in Z. Glo Z fades way more than the good fairly OS Z Buzzzes and less durable plastics make the Buzzz turn. And Over the life time of the mold the non turning Zs seem to be a little less than half of the time in production. QC my bottom :-( I don't mind QC on ok discs but in staple discs it's unforgivable to need to hoard when you find the good ones meh. That is why i think i need to spend more than i want to because i found the perfect straight mid mold. Even better than the Buzzz. Just need to try out Champ as well to see how that differs from max weight Star. Coyote love big time! Buzzz is a good compliment in the wind though.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SpookyElectric » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 pm

the pain is a great mid in teh wind where i was playing 15+ mph winds with 25+ Mph gusts. It never flipped over and flew straight and faded.
Pure - Banger GT - Pain - Buzzz - River - Viking - Firebird - Wraith
SpookyElectric
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flow

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I didn't have good luck with my 176 GL Pain as an overstable mid. It would fade fine but whenever I threw it over 250' on a low flat line it would fly really stable straight, and that was without a decent headwind.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Fritz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:37 pm

I think the recommendations of the Banshee are a good one, Firebird as well would be good.
Mids, I'd go Q-sentinel by Millennium for wind fighting goodness. Once you get more arm power, the Quasar by Millennium has been fantastic for me in the wind.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discspeed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

JHern wrote:

I agree with JHern 100% on this one. The Buzzz is excellent at cutting the wind and holding it's line. Even now that I don't carry the Buzzz I still throw my most Buzzz-like disc (beat Vector) the most when I need a straight shot into the wind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:03 pm

harkerj wrote:Still very much a noob, but I like where my game is going. I don't have a big arm just yet, maxxing out at around 325, but I'm getting more consistent and I am starting to really be able to choose lines and hit them. So I'm happy.

Until I played my first really windy round the other day. The guys I was with said I needed more stable discs. Which is why I'm here.

My drivers are almost exclusively Valks in the 168-172 range.

My midrange of choice right now are Sharks, same weight range.

My putters are Darts, 175g.

So what might be a set of discs that I might fairly easily slip in to throw on crazy windy days?

How a disc flies in your hands depends on your power and form. (The more power you have the easier you can flip a disc. Btw, flip= anhyzer). The more your form causes the disc to flutter the easier a disc flips.) Where many players would find Valkyries to be understable, for you they are stable enough to be your primary drivers. So anything more overstable than a Valk will fight wind better. How much more overstable you need depends on how strong the wind is.

It does little good to find a disc which is way more overstable than you need, since added overstability detracts from glide. So the more overstable the disc the less distance you get with it. Thus you want a disc which is just strong enough to fight wind but not so overstable it prevents you from throwing far. Thus, you don't want ONE overstable disc, you want a variety of discs in escalating degrees of stability. With practice you can figure out how much disc you need to fight differing winds.

Keep in mind that wind can help or harm stability. In a tailwind your disc acts more overstable. In a headwind your disc acts more understable. So don't put away your flippy discs on a windy day, you need them for tailwind shots. If you don't already have a very flippy disc in your bag you may want to add one or more.

I always carry at least 3 putters, 3 mids and 10 drivers in my bag. In crazy winds I add a very overstable version in each category for headwind shots. I know where each of my discs fits in order of stability and make judgments about how much stability I need for each shot based on the intended flight path and wind.

Aside from your particular form there are discs which fight wind well based on their design even though they are not very overstable.. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, among mids, Buzzzes and Rocs do this. When a disc has the rare characteristic of fighting wind without being very overstable it is especially useful since you don't have to sacrifice distance in order to combat the wind.

So Hackerj, based on the power level you describe in your question, if I were to hand you 3 discs to try out to fight wind they would be: Crush, Zone, Banger GT. Each of these might be a little more than you need but they will continue to be effective even as they break in.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Previous

Return to Equipment