Designing A New Disc Golf Bag. What Do You Look For In A Bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What Features and Qualities Do You Look For In A Bag?

Disc Capacity
17%
Durability of materials and stiching
26%
Weight of Bag
2%
Comfort and Wear
13%
Non-Disc Storage Capacity
15%
Layout and organization of bag/straps
13%
Water/Drink Storage Capacity
7%
Unique Design and Look
No votes
D-Rings and other attachments for towels, chairs, etc
4%
Customization
4%

Total votes : 54

Designing A New Disc Golf Bag. What Do You Look For In A Bag

Postby SpookyElectric » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:12 am

What qualities and features do you look for in a bag? I am helping design a unique and new style of disc golf bags that is in the prototype stages. It is a shoulder-sling style. The weight is offset from the shoulder and back, to the center of the body. It will be endorsed by a chiropractor (pending) and have additional and highly customizable features to be included. Some features to be included are Webbing, hydration bladder insert, and much more. I want to hear your feedback as well as your most important features you look for in a bag. Thank you for your help :)

Currently here is the bag where it stands in its prototype phase. It has a water bottle holder on the bottom (Is going to be moved and placed elsewhere.) As i said, this bag is still in need of a lot of improvements. Right now I have 15 discs in the bag from bottom up: 3 drivers in 1st pocket, 3 drivers in 2nd pocket, 2 fairways and 1 driver in 3rd pocket, 2 mid ranges in 4th pocket, 2 putters in 5th pocket, and 2 mids in the 6th (Note the mid in the 6th pocket includes a scorpion) The straps are 2" wide with option of wearing it either on your Left shoulder or Right shoulder. The water bottle holder itself also holds a 1L Naglegene or 32 oz water bottle

Here are some pics!

an earlier prototype, but just to show you how its worn
Pure - Banger GT - Pain - Buzzz - River - Viking - Firebird - Wraith
SpookyElectric
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flow

Re: Designing A New Disc Golf Bag. What Do You Look For In A

Postby SpookyElectric » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

There seems to be a lot of voting, yet no feedback what so ever. Please hit it up with feedback :)
SpookyElectric
Noob

Postby Jaysus » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:08 am

Looks like a quiver ;)

I like pockets and clips and stuff. Something specific for my smartphone would be nice, and a clip for my keys as well. Also, I like having a grommet or something in an insulated drink holder so that it can drain from either rain or condensation.

I also like to set it on the ground without worrying about it falling over or me getting muddy when I put it back on ;)
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 am

Im worried the discs will fall when I toss it to the ground. Im pretty rough on my bags too.. will these slots loosen up over time? having discs fall out all over the place?
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby isobar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

My concerns with that based off initial impressions:

1. How loose do the pouches get with only one disc in them.
2. Storage: I like being able to store my discs, phone, wallet, keys, bugspray/sun lotion and a water or two in my bag. I don't see much in terms of storage possibilities in this bag.
3. What happens to the discs if you bend over with the quiver on your back? A lot of times people will bend over to pick up the discs and aren't going to want to remove the bag if it's just picking up your disc for a 2 foot putt. Just doing a quick glance at this it looks like if you bend over while wearing it all of the discs are going to come falling out.
4. For the people who play 2-3 rounds at a time, you might want to include quad strap clips So you have the option of wearing it like a normal backpack instead of a shoulder sling.

It does look like it could be a nice alternative to traditional bags. Hope it comes out well.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 am

Jaysus wrote:I also like to set it on the ground without worrying about it falling over or me getting muddy when I put it back on ;)

This should be your biggest concern at the moment I would think. I think this is why this type of design is good for attaching to wheels, but not for carrying necessarily.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SpookyElectric » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 pm

As of right now, designs such as cell phone holders, clips, hydration bladder inserts, and modular attachments, pockets, and materials are under development. We are currently addressing the issue that people will want to in fact play take the bag on and off. As for disc storage, to further improve quality my partner and I are under R&D for a strong Velcro strap cover to keep discs in place and dry during wetter climates. The project behind the bag is still only 2 months old to be honest and will have a lot of work and development to be done. We still are looking for a manufacturer to mass produce the product. When bending over to pick up a disc they will not fall out as the elastic around the edges, as well as the discs layering each other will hold them in place nicely. As for future security and measures velcro pouch covers are going to be an option :)
SpookyElectric
Noob

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

Looks like a cool bag for great weather. If it's wet or muddy, not so much.
I dig the Quiver style idea though. A must is water storage. Great start to a cool bag idea.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby SpookyElectric » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 pm

there is in fact water storage that is enough to hold a 1L bottle. We are also in the discussion of designing insulted hydration sleeves and other goodies :) I really cannot wait myself to get this going more and more. I even hope to gain the support of the local club and professionals. It has a lot of potential for sure and I wish to see this to its maximum. I never thought of it as a quiver style bag but that is a great way to think of it guys. Hope to hear more later.
SpookyElectric
Noob

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Something else to keep in mind. When I see this style of bag, the first thing that comes to mind is a small bag for quick moving, casual rounds (in good weather conditions). 15 discs seems like a bit much for this. I'd rather see something a little shorter and that will hug up close to my back and stay snug and at a low profile. Perhaps even snug enough that it wouldn't be uncomfortable to throw while its on your back still? (I guess that would be taking the quiver and running with it). Then of course, you wouldn't have to worry about setting it down and picking up dirt/mud to put on your back.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pwingles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 pm

i agree with Kern, what you have here in its current size looks like the thing that gets used for a a cart. You know? Golf bag cart, plywood, and that on the front. No reason you couldnt offer both though
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby JR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Things i think many would like to have in a bag include durability even on razor sharp glassy rocks, ability to carry a lot of stuff without the seams breaking for tourneys so 50 pounds carrying capability should give some safety margin (i've gone almost as heavy with back packing gear and broken them around once a year), water proofness, ease of taking the discs out and putting them back in, more drink carrying capacity than 1 l. Triple that i'd say. I know other people than myself who have lugged as much. Wide and well padded shoulder strap for not digging into flesh and cutting blood flow. Try filming and caddying for Feldy with 43 discs and water for the both of us and an umbrella... The Voodoo has thinner straps than most hiking gear and wasn't that well padded.

While innovative the quiver looks like the discs could fall off easily. The less the bag bounces the less likely the discs will jump out in steep hills. Having Feldys bag hanging too low on my rump from not having enough adjusting capability in the straps made the bag bounce too much in steep downhills and walking fast. Discs fell out. No joy. And that was a traditional design with lots more fabric for the disc to climb over to fall out.

Edit: size for food, clothing, rain gear etc. needed in a tourney out of town would be good. The quiver handles on the discs and some water so it is better suited to casual play in not so hot weather and on flat easy terrain.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SpookyElectric » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 am

really love your reply JR! will keep all in mind
SpookyElectric
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

The easy to put the discs in and get them out while not dropping out when you're walking is a difficult contradiction. The trouble with back side hanging bag is that you have even less chance of seeing a disc to fall off. It might be easy to wear your bag on the front side for slightly better chance of noticing a falling disc but any bag should be designed for not allowing the discs to fall out in the first place. And wearing the bag in front makes marking the lie and picking up your disc more difficult possibly dropping the discs out more easily. Good luck with your project because you will have interesting times deciding on the features and goals and solving the contradictory requirements.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment