power players touch disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: power players touch disc

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 pm

JR wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
Whiz wrote:Throw them fast with lots of height.

This, you would be surprised how far you can get a wizard/aviar/challenger/magnet/whatever if you put it up 15'+.

also Dart, sonic, rattler, pure

stronger discs: rhyno, zone, jokeri

Alright if the Zone is a touch disc what is beefy? A lump of heavy metal? There are only a few drivers that are beefier than the Zone and i don't think mids best the Zone in HSS. I was told that the Zone is designated putter although it is fast and shaped like a mid. Rhyno ain't that much about the touch either.

the zone, rhyno and jokeri are all good at lower powers for strong finishes and forehand upshots for those who have less than clean form.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discpunk26 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

I have no problem getting my mids out 450' if I don't have a ceiling, so apparently I need to clear things up a bit, Let say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby JHern » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:52 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
Whiz wrote:Throw them fast with lots of height.

This, you would be surprised how far you can get a wizard/aviar/challenger/magnet/whatever if you put it up 15'+...

If your course is wide open, then yes, putter approaches are great for 300'+. But if you have low ceilings/tight fairways everywhere, then no, get a versatile mid-range instead that will carry further when thrown low.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 am

discpunk26 wrote:I have no problem getting my mids out 450' if I don't have a ceiling, so apparently I need to clear things up a bit, Let say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?

330- Leopard
380- beat ass X Predator
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby discspeed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:02 am

discpunk26 wrote:I have no problem getting my mids out 450' if I don't have a ceiling, so apparently I need to clear things up a bit, Let say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?

TBs, EXs, FBs, Preds. These discs have extra HSS to be thrown really low and hard and hold a line. Range can be controlled by keeping them low.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 am

I can get my Eagle-L 350' with a controlled x-step on a very low straight line. At 380' and only 6' high tunnel I'm gonna say a prayer, skip my P-PD, and kick myself for shanking off the tee. :cry:

My ace race ESP hornet had decent HSS and late fade but on low lines it would straighten out more than I wanted for the overstable slot in my bag I was looking for it to fill.

What does your Hornet do on this shot and what do you wish it did?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby discpunk26 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 am

7ontheline wrote:
discpunk26 wrote:What does your Hornet do on this shot and what do you wish it did?

My ace race hornets will turn over a little then flatten and ride about 300' then skip off to the left 10-20 feet, that skip is what I'm trying to avoid. This is the reason for the post, my preds and forces do the same at longer distances, usually with longer skips. I do have an esp pred that doesn't skip much any more because I beat it straight stable and that works over 350', just need something for shorter.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby emiller3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:43 am

The Roc or Buzzz still sound ideal to me, especially if you don't want any fade or skip. If you can throw a mid 450' with an open ceiling, you ought to be able to get them to 350' even with a very low ceiling. I need about 10' to get my Rocs out to 350', but I can't throw them anywhere near 450', even on an open field.

You could try the Stalker as well. I've never thrown one but it sounds like it would fit the bill.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Stalker should definitely work and Glo Z is so much more HSS and LSS that for power like the OP has it should provide a good safety margin if a Z max weight won't work. For the 6' ceiling limit out to the distance he likes to switch discs for the Stalker being the straightest tweener with the most HSS and still extremely mild fade should be ideal. It skips predominantly forward if it even skips at all.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:55 pm

I like my heavy glow z stalker. My stalker is easy to flip up, goes straight, fades forwardish, but is only 10% longer than my mids so it might take a little extra pull for your 380' mark on a 6' high line, maybe not for your arm. :)

You might want to revisit that beat in champ Leopard before you go buy something else. Most folks have one or a QJLS and if you don't have a seasoned Leo, used are easy to find and inexpensive.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 pm

He has so much power that the Stalker could work and yes some Z Stalkers turn and some don't when new. Production inconsistencies like with so many other discs. The Leo probably should be Champ 175 new with his power and yes it will fade significantly more if it is needed to be kept on the fairway in tight tunnels. The same is true even more about the Glo Z Stalker and that is not a touch disc. I wouldn't make judgments on the merits of Stalkers based on the Glo Z which should be strictly a left turn disc in moderation and wind substitute for the regular Z which should be the mainstay.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

If there is enough height to work with for 350' and under shots I use a mid or putter. Vector, Axis or Anode depending on the line.

You could try forehands too. My FH sucks compared to my BH so I know I'm not going past 350' much at all, if any :p

I like a max weight QJLS if I feel like throwing a bit softer and letting the disc do some of the distance work for me. Fast enough to get out there easier than the Axis, but not so fast you have to worry about them cruising too far.

If a hyzer line is available, go for it. They are easier to range IMO.

discpunk26 wrote:say you are a power player looking at a basket between 330- 380' and you have enough clearance to get maybe 6' off the ground to cover this distance and you don't throw rollers, what do you throw?

6' off the ground? Standing 6'4" that'd be rough for me to get under at all, but I'd throw a QJLS for 330' and a QOLF for 380' most likely. Normally when I toss mids that far it's at least 4x as high, but my home course only has a few holes without unlimited ceiling to work with.

Kind of related, here's me driving a 300' hole with a ceiling so low I have to finish my x-step at the beginning of the teepad or else I can't take that route.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Previous

Return to Equipment