Thinking out loud (Eagle to Gazelle)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Thinking out loud (Eagle to Gazelle)

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 am

So I love my Eagles, but since I have switched my main driver from Wraiths to OLFs I find they over lap a bit too much. I want to replace my Eagles with something a tad slower and more over stable than my Eagles. Is that the Gazelle?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Re: Thinking out loud (Eagle to Gazelle)

Postby dgdave » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 am

Banshee yo
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:51 am

The gazelle is nowhere near as LSS as an eagle. You might try a QPLS.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

why don't you start messing with some of those tweener drivers? Squall, blaze, stalker, etc.

Also if you want a gazelle to be more overstable than a eagle, you better go buy lith's stack of 10x gazelles.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Booter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 am

or some heavy glo gaz's
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

Frank Delicious wrote:why don't you start messing with some of those tweener drivers? Squall, blaze, stalker, etc.

Also if you want a gazelle to be more overstable than a eagle, you better go buy lith's stack of 10x gazelles.

Bummer, I was hoping that the Gazelle would be like a brand new max weight SEX.

I do need to look into some tweeners, the Blaze might fit. Is it pretty beefy? I have been using E-Spirits as a super OS mid for gnarly spikes and forehand practice and would love to replace that with something more workable, so maybe Dave's suggestion of a Banshee should be taken seriously by me as well.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CatPredator » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am

Worked in DX Viper? Heavier new Champ Eagle-X? Anything much more overstable than an Eagle becomes not that useful for workhorse duties because they lack glide.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 am

kern9787 wrote:The gazelle is nowhere near as LSS as an eagle. You might try a QPLS.

The numbers indicate that, but they also indicate more HSS, so maybe that's a wash. wtf am I doing looking at those numbers anyway...
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am

CatPredator wrote:Worked in DX Viper? Heavier new Champ Eagle-X? Anything much more overstable than an Eagle becomes not that useful for workhorse duties because they lack glide.

It's odd because it's really the late flight fade that I am after. If I could find a disc that is just as easy to throw and get up to speed as an Eagle, but would fade harder at the end that would be great.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kern9787 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Dig It wrote:
kern9787 wrote:The gazelle is nowhere near as LSS as an eagle. You might try a QPLS.

The numbers indicate that, but they also indicate more HSS, so maybe that's a wash. wtf am I doing looking at those numbers anyway...

The gazelle is more HSS than an eagle in similar stages of wear, but it loses that HSS quicker than comparable stability discs in different speeds (roc and teebird, possibly pd come to mind). Most of my experience was with a heavy (172 or 3) champ glow gazelle for what its worth.

You might like an ESP cyclone. Its basically a slower eagle with better glide (large diameter disc). I would say the fade is comparable to an eagle, not necessarily stronger, so that doesn't sound quite like what you are looking for. If you are wanting similar speed with stronger fade, banshee or viper would work well I would think. I'm actually starting to intrigue myself with the thought of a dx viper...
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Dig It wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:why don't you start messing with some of those tweener drivers? Squall, blaze, stalker, etc.

Bummer, I was hoping that the Gazelle would be like a brand new max weight SEX.

I do need to look into some tweeners, the Blaze might fit. Is it pretty beefy? I have been using E-Spirits as a super OS mid for gnarly spikes and forehand practice and would love to replace that with something more workable, so maybe Dave's suggestion of a Banshee should be taken seriously by me as well.

Dig It wrote:
CatPredator wrote:Worked in DX Viper? Heavier new Champ Eagle-X? Anything much more overstable than an Eagle becomes not that useful for workhorse duties because they lack glide.

It's odd because it's really the late flight fade that I am after. If I could find a disc that is just as easy to throw and get up to speed as an Eagle, but would fade harder at the end that would be great.

I think you'd like the E blaze if it's the late flight you're looking for. I have an E blaze that I got from Timko back in the day and it's been seasoned in pretty good by now. It goes really straight for like 3/4 of it's flight before fading out pretty hard. It might have the HSS and LSS combo you are looking for.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I think you'd like the E blaze if it's the late flight you're looking for. I have an E blaze that I got from Timko back in the day and it's been seasoned in pretty good by now. It goes really straight for like 3/4 of it's flight before fading out pretty hard. It might have the HSS and LSS combo you are looking for.

I'll pick one of those up and give it a whirl. Thanks brahs!
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Gazelle is a great disc (one of the best ever made imo), but not an eagle replacement. QPLS would be a good replacement. The Stardust plastic is sick!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 pm

There are absolute brick ESP Cyclones out there that won't glide and fade out early. They may take a long time to beat into more LSS Eagles at a slower speed. They should do that eventually and from hearsay. I don't throw mine because it is not useful ATM so it doesn't break in. If you trust your ability to power down maybe a C PD could work. Or if you want some turn breaking in an S PD should do the trick. That is not what you asked speed wise i know. Blaze S broken in to not fade as hard will eventually fit the bill. I haven't straightened mine out with wear yet because i throw so few shots that call for a disc like that that doesn't need to be primo plastic for durability landing on rocks and broken glass.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment