Which Destroyer to buy?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which Destroyer to buy?

Postby mrlaroo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:30 am

Aloha,
New to the forum and wanted to see what advice you could throw at me. I have been looking to get a Destroyer for my RHFH throws and wondering if i should go with the new Blizzard,Star or Champ plastic? I have not seen or thrown the new blizzard so don't have a clue what weight I should get. I have not thrown the destroyer but wanted something that will out do my beast in the MAX D cat. Thanks for any input you guys.
mrlaroo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Beast

Re: Which Destroyer to buy?

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 am

I throw a lot of forehand, generally whenever the hole ends to the right (Im right handed). I also throw forehand 400+ on max d. The two discs that I use the most are a max weight Star Destroyer (differnt levels of stability for shot requirement) and a max weight Z nuke.

It really is going to come down to how good and how far you can throw forehand. A destroyer is a great forehand disc (probably the best imo), but if you don't throw atleast 350+ I would go with something slower. My personal preference is heavy star destroyers. The reason is that they tend to be plenty stable for forehand and atleast for me seem to get more distance than a champ. I would not suggest the blizzard because I think it is going to take a lot of forehand experience to be able to throw it with the right amount of power (however not positive, just got one today and haven't had time to test it out yet). If you don't throw 350+ a destroyer will teach you to over anhyzer your forehand which I think is a bad way to learn.. So if you are right around or under 350 distance I would actually suggest a champ wraith, z surge, or maybe a pd to start. This is what I started with. This is counting on normal wind, high wind does require to disc up in stability.

Just like backhand there is good and bad forms with forehand. And just like backhand I suggest learning to control a more medium stability disc to get form down first. Forehand does produce a higher speed release and snap than backhand imo though(with less effort atleast), so instead of recommending a valykrie I recommend a surge or wrath.

Sorry for babbling on, I am a big forehand lover from years of ultimate. So to sum it up, my recommendation is 350+ distance on forehand = 170-174 star destroyer (plus z nuke), 350 or less distance = champ wraith, z surge. Also forehand is just like backhand where you will want to use different stabilitys for different lines and shots.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby CatPredator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:19 am

It's hard to go wrong with a star Destroyer. Whatever weight you normally throw should work, but going with something from 165-170 is my recommendation.

I've been throwing Blizzard Destroyers for a while and they are interesting discs. The 150 Destroyers with mega-huge domes are actually pretty overstable, and can work for sloppy forehand. They'll flex out of hard torqued anhyzers. The 145-150 Destroyers with more moderate, regular looking domes, are nice bombers. They've got plenty of high speed turn on a 450' throw, but they'll fade back if you throw them with a little hyzer. They've got what I consider to be the optimal controllable max D flight pattern, like a nice seasoned Star Destroyer. The lighter weight (130-140) Destroyers I've seen have been flatter and real flippy. Lots of high speed turn, even on a 325' shot.

It's not entirely clear that any of these will out-do your Beast in terms of max D though. Beasts have nice glide and it's easy to coax a nice long high speed turn out of them. Destroyers require a lot more speed to get a similar flight pattern. A Blizzard Destroyer is probably most likely to give you that same flight you're looking for, but they're inconsistent discs. Some of them are junk, some are nice.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:34 am

A local store got in the blizzard destroyers...no joke, I saw a yellow one with a dome large enough for a family of four to comfortably camp out under.
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby CatPredator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:52 am

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:A local store got in the blizzard destroyers...no joke, I saw a yellow one with a dome large enough for a family of four to comfortably camp out under.

For real. The best ones have a smooth transition from shoulder to dome, but are not flat. They need a decent dome for glide/stability. Like I said, probably the most inconsistent disc I've ever seen, but I find it entertaining to throw all the variations. I threw a flat 130 a few times yesterday and it was like beat to shit R Pro Boss flippy. You could really bomb it on like 20% power forehands. Pretty funny.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby plex » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:22 am

the best destroyer i ever had was a RED (it was darker red color) Star Destroyer @ 172g around 3 years ago - it had great grip (maybe because of the color) and i shit you not i could throw it anny and it woud ALWAYS slowly come back for good distance.. or i could throw it dead straight and it would always stay straight for a long time before it faded back with an awesome skip for another 20+ feet

Now i own:
White Star Destroyer 175g
Lime Green Star Destroyer 175g (bottom stamp)

I HIGHLY suggest you look into discmania's PD2 if you like destroyers.. it has very similar flight characteristics and i can seem to get a little more distance out of them than with my destroyers.

Get red if you can.
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby mrlaroo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Man I just typed this whole speell and I just someone erased it before I posted it. UGH Wanted to Say man this FORUM ROCKS, you guys are so insightfull. I guess I need to go measure my drives to see what distance I am throwing. Even though I don't throw heavy discs but seems the heavy destroyer is the one to go with. I really love my beast but thought their might me a disc I could get more D out of it. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years where I did not play disc at all and man there are still the classics but so many more discs to choose from. I know for me it takes a bit to get used to a new disc but a demo day would be great.lol I thikn I will skip on the blizzard plastic till they get their production dialed in cause I would have to order it so I won't be able to look at the disc before hand. I have been throwing the QJLS, Groove and the beast and get the same D both FH and BH with each, my BH is secondary on drives. I have thrown the monster a bunch and that seems to oversatble. I know there is that perfect disc for my style but sucks such a huge process of elimination. What do you guys think of all these understable discs for FH? Thanks Cat, Plex, Buzz ,Tossin and discgolfreview!!!!!!!
mrlaroo
Noob

Postby mrlaroo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:25 pm

So I am throwing alright, I am going to get a star destoyer 167 or 170, what do you guys think for a small statured dude?
mrlaroo
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:59 am

Welcome. The thing about the Blizzard Destroyers is that they are the closest to their full weight counterparts in stability at high and low speeds so it suits the FH for giving some safety margin. An unclean off axis torqued throw will wobble a disc more if it is lighter so i would not get a Blizzard for FH that is more than 15 grams lighter than your normal weight. IMO the best Destroyers are broken in domey Pro Destroyers because they fade so late. The flip side of that coin is that they are the least unclean form forgiving durable Destroyers. The dome in a Destroyer is a good thing so as long as your FH grip can cope with the Destroyer Bliz you should be fine. Bliz ain't out for FH. You can throw with much less power to the same distance and if it doesn't improve your results you need more finesse. And it will give an added layer of safety against health issues. FH is rough on the body. My advice for a small guy, like me, is to get a less than max weight normal Destro and start with 15 grams lighter Bliz. From there you can estimate if you need to go higher or lower in Bliz weight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment