http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Westside Giant

Postby smarkquart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 am

JR wrote:
smarkquart wrote:Short and sweet. I love the forward glide of this disc even when it is breaking into its fade.

If it did not have that slow onset of fade it would lose a lot of D. It ain't exactly a short disc but for sure it ain't a max distance disc.

Depends on the lines you are looking at. For comparison and conversation, the range I am talking about is 400 feet. When thrown flat, the Giant has enough fade to lose some distance whereas my Kings would finish straighter and 10-15 further. When thrown on a flex, allowing some OAT to accidentally sneak into a less than stellar form, for me it gets the exact same distance as the King. Now, if I am comparing perfect form to perfect form, the Giant cannot stand up to my King or Blizzard Boss, losing by 20-40 feet, but when taking into account that again I do not consistently have clean form, the end result from the Giant and King are comparable. It comes down to the lines available for me; on an open field shot, unless the wind is really kicking up I would go with the King; when it gets tighter on one side or the other, I have been going with the Giant a lot recently at no real loss of distance.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

I quess it depends on the kind and weight of the King you have too. My 166 VIP high dome high PLH King is on average 30' longer for me on a flat drive and s-curves are at least 20' topping out at 45' more.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby smarkquart » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 am

JR wrote:I quess it depends on the kind and weight of the King you have too. My 166 VIP high dome high PLH King is on average 30' longer for me on a flat drive and s-curves are at least 20' topping out at 45' more.

I unfortunately do not spend much time comparing PLH, but the four VIP I have are all 172 with only medium domes. I also have to admit that I do not get the popping snap I used to get last year when I first tried the King. I am not sure if it is injury related or still have not shaken off my winter form, but I am finding I am using more body/ core strength than previous years but less snap. On a great throw I used to get the King out to 450, which now seems would be longer than my Giant by 40-50 feet, but now using the way I currently throw, my Giant and King both top out around 380-400.

Regardless, my original point being that after a couple of throws, the Giant fits perfectly in my bag and is more than just a utility disc, helping convert most of my drivers to Lat and Westside, now more Westside than Lat.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am

I would have loved to watch ANYONE throw a King 450'. Not saying you didn't do it, just saying I would love to see it. I can't imagine throwing a King more than 300' before it hit ground from flipping over 180° and started rolling.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Jeronimo wrote:I would have loved to watch ANYONE throw a King 450'. Not saying you didn't do it, just saying I would love to see it. I can't imagine throwing a King more than 300' before it hit ground from flipping over 180° and started rolling.
Been there, done that, put about 60-70 degrees of hyzer on it. =)

JR has some pretty darn stable Kings though. He also has very stable Northmen, all of mine need about 45 degrees of hyzer on a 70% pull to not turn and burn. They are amazingly effortless though, that 70% pull can easily carry to around 380-400' in calm conditions. You know those really understable Rivers? Kinda like that but a bit faster and perhaps even more glide. Insane.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:I would have loved to watch ANYONE throw a King 450'. Not saying you didn't do it, just saying I would love to see it. I can't imagine throwing a King more than 300' before it hit ground from flipping over 180° and started rolling.

JR has some pretty darn stable Kings though. He also has very stable Northmen, all of mine need about 45 degrees of hyzer on a 70% pull to not turn and burn. They are amazingly effortless though, that 70% pull can easily carry to around 380-400' in calm conditions. You know those really understable Rivers? Kinda like that but a bit faster and perhaps even more glide. Insane.

I don't believe it. I have 3 Kings (lol) and all three of them will turnover nearly 180° upon release. I'm barely exaggerating here. 450'? No. Way.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby turso » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm

jubuttib's king is indeed throwable to 450', but in no means accurate =)
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm

turso wrote:jubuttib's king is indeed throwable to 450', but in no means accurate =)

Man, I gotta see this. Maybe I just got a shit batch of Kings
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
turso wrote:jubuttib's king is indeed throwable to 450', but in no means accurate =)
Man, I gotta see this. Maybe I just got a shit batch of Kings
Or maybe you just can't throw?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

I don't believe it. I have 3 Kings (lol) and all three of them will turnover nearly 180° upon release. I'm barely exaggerating here. 450'? No. Way.

I don't think you got a shitty batch of Kings per se. They just are made in so totally different shapes that they should be named to be two completely different discs. If the King is flat it does not matter what the PLH is it will flip hard at low power and be totally useless for anything else than rollers or flick of the wrist shots for 400' crowd. A VIP King with good dome and a high PLH is not flippy. A VIP King with a similar good dome but a low PLH will flip some but is still hyzer flippable to 450' albeit far from a flat angle.

The good ones are the ones in VIP with good dome height and no drooping down of the outside edge whatsoever. Any dropping of the outside edge below level is gonna increase the flipping fast. The lower it is the flippier it become fast with minute changes in PLH. For an easy comparison place the disc on a table with a TP King and see how the TP has a dropped outside edge. You want none of that but a VIP of a horizontal outside edge.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 pm

JR wrote:I don't think you got a shitty batch of Kings per se. They just are made in so totally different shapes that they should be named to be two completely different discs. If the King is flat it does not matter what the PLH is it will flip hard at low power and be totally useless for anything else than rollers or flick of the wrist shots for 400' crowd. A VIP King with good dome and a high PLH is not flippy. A VIP King with a similar good dome but a low PLH will flip some but is still hyzer flippable to 450' albeit far from a flat angle.
Yup, that's my King right there.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Those Kings are just plain fun to throw.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Booter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:46 pm

yeah when i was throwin kings,they were easy to toss out 420+ ...you just need room to let them work.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 pm

JR wrote: If the King is flat it does not matter what the PLH is it will flip hard at low power and be totally useless for anything else than rollers or flick of the wrist shots for 400' crowd.

These are my Kings.

They flip more than Bolts.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment