Discnation Baskets

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discnation Baskets

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 am

I was talking with a friend this weekend, and he was really raving about the top design of the new Discnation baskets. He said the diamond shaped connection that connects the chains to the top allows for a good range of motion. Do both the Liberty and the Freedom have this top design? Aside from the inner assembly, are there any differences in these baskets?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Re: Discnation Baskets

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

Give a brotha some pics.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

I am a bit biased but I think the Liberty is the best basket for the money

ZAM can explain the design more as he had input in it but both have the diamond top. It allows the chains to go with the disc and not resist it

I've putted on everything at the store and the liberty always seems to have the best fair catch rate. The basket is HEAVY. Only issue i have is the thicker center pole. Otherwise amazing basket
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby dgdave » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:10 am

I really want to try one of these. Anyone here try a Monkey Trap?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Pwingles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

My only beef with russ' baskets is the heavy galvanized chain that comes with them, otherwise its as good as any basket ive ever played on
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Timko wrote:I was talking with a friend this weekend, and he was really raving about the top design of the new Discnation baskets. He said the diamond shaped connection that connects the chains to the top allows for a good range of motion. Do both the Liberty and the Freedom have this top design? Aside from the inner assembly, are there any differences in these baskets?

yo yo yo. posting from my official marketing chair, please excuse my lack of cursing.

alright, so the baskets are a 16-chain (Freedom) and a 24-chain (Liberty). the only difference between the two is the number of branches on the chain harness. sliders, branches, all that is from the same design concept for both baskets. all the hardware and add-ons are interchangeable as well. Freedom has 16 outer chains, Liberty has 12 inner and 12 outer. all the hardware is powder-coated, and the chain is galvanized. chain weight is on par with what you'd find in recreational targets, not quite as heavy as the DB-5, DisCatcher Pro, etc. but very much in line with the DisCatcher Sport, ChainMaster, etc.

both baskets share the diamond-head slider design, which i freakin love. my input began with testing the first prototype, and the diamond sliders were there from the beginning. i feel that there's a very narrow way to strike the chain (dead-on, centered on the disc, and high on the links) that prevents it from sliding and therefore kicking out. for the most part, almost any strike will result in the chains sliding. the downward angle plus the diamond shape lend a little resistance, but also allows the chain to slide vertically and laterally. honestly i don't know who came up with that specific design point, but it's my favorite thing on the basket.

here's an old photo album on FB that includes some close-ups of the hardware. please note that the Liberty photographed in that album was the 1st production run, which differed in the cage assembly. (explained below)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 127&type=3

and here's a photo i took just now.. these are some photo models i have on hand.

so as it says, the above photo is of 2nd Runs. with a change in PDGA guidelines, we had to narrow the gap between bands on the cage wall to prevent wedgies. the 2nd Run of both basket have two middle bands, whereas you can see in the FB pics the 1st Runs had only one middle band. this change allows the 2nd Run Liberty to be Championship Certified; both baskets are PDGA-legal from 1st run forward. we're going into a 3rd run with, i believe, all the same specs from the 2nd run.

and as you'd see on the website, the optional add-ons are a number plate with flag holder and vinyl number kit, a full in-ground kit (sleeve and anchor), and extra in-ground anchors for multiple pins.

lemme know if y'all have any further questions about them.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby inthedrift » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:20 pm

A friend of mine has a Liberty, I think it's absolutely fantastic.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Are there options for different colors of powder coating for a dual basket layout?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:Are there options for different colors of powder coating for a dual basket layout?

currently there are not any color options.

the easiest solution i can think of would be some sort of color-coding vinyl/paint on the number plate
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Dan Mc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 pm

I bought a freedom right a round christmas time and have no regrets. It's easily the best catching 16 chain basket I've putted on (mach lite, m 14, db5, ) and is considerably beefier than the others and at $219 the price is more than fair (you can sometimes find them with free shipping. )Would have loved to have gotten the liberty but the freedom is really all the back yard basket i need.
Dan Mc
Noob

Favorite Disc: elite x wasp

Postby Pwingles » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:36 am

Our club was in the market for a practice basket for one of the area courses and we decided on the liberty, got it this week.
This is a really nice basket, catches well, looks nice. Hard to beat for the price for sure.

My only complaint is the multiple piece pole, since we are putting it in a pretty traffic heavy course/park, children will eventually climb on it, mowers will eventually hit it, etc.
Were gonna replace it soon with a single pole if we can. Stronger and would make stealing it a bit harder.

But really, a very nice basket. For sure the first hoice when we add another putting basket to one of the other courses later this year hopefully
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Timko » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm super close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

Are the Liberty better baskets than the Titan?
Timko

Postby Leopard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Timko wrote:I'm super close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

coupon code SUM12FB will get you 15% OFF that order :mrgreen:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Timko » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Well, that made up my mind pretty quick. Thanks!
Timko

Postby LumberJack » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am

There is a lil 9 hole course in Hudsonville Michigan that has Liberty baskets and they catch nicely and are also purdy.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment